Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Never been to Laurel Lakes or Funnel Lake. Anything historic or special we should look forward to seeing? Excited to be going!

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Dave, I know you're not going, but wanted to ask how propane stovetops and burners work up in that 10K ft altitude, particularly @ Laurel Lakes/Funnel Lake. Please advise. Thanks!

Reactions: PapaDave

Traveler III

San Ramon California
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Shafer
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy Veteran
I did funnel lake trip solo last September. Its a beautiful trail the first leg starts at the valley floor and climbs to the higher elevation and is narrow for passing. By the way i was looking at my pictures and my dash board temperature was 27 degrees when i woke up and If I'm not mistaken it was 2 hours up. Reminder vehicle going up hill has the right away. I recommend having a scout go ahead to be able to notify down hill traffic of how many up hill vehicles are coming. fun trip ahead

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Dave, I know you're not going, but wanted to ask how propane stovetops and burners work up in that 10K ft altitude, particularly @ Laurel Lakes/Funnel Lake. Please advise. Thanks!
I have not been to that spot but I’ve fired up my burners just fine at 9800’

@Mike-S

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
I saw that the trip is at full capacity, but if there's a cancellation, I would love to go. Is there a waiting list?

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Hey guys I have to cancel this trip. Im still having gremlins somewhere in the electronic. Car still stalling.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey guys I have to cancel this trip. Im still having gremlins somewhere in the electronic. Car still stalling.
Bummed to read this, sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Be sure, if you haven’t, to cancel the RSVP. I hope you can get it fixed!

Mr. C

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

NEWARK,CA.
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cordano
Member #

Hi Rid, Sorry to hear your still having problems. I would gladly fill your spot. I guess its time for the new rig You wanted!!

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Take lots of pictures and share with us. It going to be an awesome trip. And yes this will be a great opp to look into a new rig but must have the "Misses" approval.

Reactions: Mr. C

ACliff925

Rank III

Contributor III

Pleasanton, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
C
Member #

Last weekend I camped off 395 by Bridgeport at 10,000 ft. Jet boil, camp chef 2 burner stove, and propane fire pit worked perfectly! Temperatures were prob low 60,s when I was using them if I had to guess.

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Last weekend I camped off 395 by Bridgeport at 10,000 ft. Jet boil, camp chef 2 burner stove, and propane fire pit worked perfectly! Temperatures were prob low 60,s when I was using them if I had to guess.
The propane stoves, lanterns, fire pits, Including jet boils will work in high elevations (ie 10,000’)

What can sometimes have problems staying on are the propane Mr.Buddy heaters since they have built in low oxygen sensors. I camped at 10,400’ earlier this year and my heater shutoff a couple of times; I was only using it in the annex for short periods of time when we were changing clothes. It seemed to stay on longer in low setting.

I plan to bring it again for this trip ... not sure if we will need it, but I’m curious how it will perform at Laurel and Funnel Lks (10,000’+).

Reactions: OLgadgets

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Ill be in my ram 2500! first time on all of these trails.
I saw a full size Tundra make it in/out of Laurel Lk last year. There are several very tight switch backs, but the last one before the Lake is the tightest. It’s doable but best to have a spotter to guide you in making those switch backs.

Reactions: CJDV RAM

KingsRiverKid

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Visalia, California
First Name
Arlee
Last Name
Altamirano
Member #

Since we are coming out of Central California we are planning on meeting you guys at the Shell in Mammoth Lakes if that's ok. I believe the posted time was 530 correct?

Reactions: 06tacodude

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
I've been looking into the Yosemite entrance fee situation. Driving through the park, each vehicle needs a reservation to enter the park, even if we're not recreating there. 80% of the reservations for the following month are divvied up on the first of each month (way too late for that), while the remaining 20% are released 2 days before your chosen date of arrival at 7am. Even if you have a pass, reservations are needed. So what if some of us aren't successful in attaining a reservation for August 21 online 2 days ahead? Will they allow us to pay at the gate?