Launch Member

Advocate III

vancouver, b.c., canada
First Name
jeff
Last Name
ross
Member #

a friend and i are planning a road trip to oregon and plan on spending time in baker city (visit the old "paint your wagon" movie site for no name city) and hart mountain antelope range before heading to crater lake and back up the coast on 101.

if you have any hidden places to visit that you know of, please pass it on.

cheers, jeff

Last edited:

MapJunkie

Rank I

Enthusiast I

haven't been there yet but it's on my list , crack in the ground . there's tons to see on the coast .

If you have the time the rogue river jet boats are a blast
I would certainly put Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert in the route if you are driving HW20. There are lots of great dirt roads to explore in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jeffs blackjeep

whistlepunk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Bend, Oregon, USA
First Name
DAVID
Last Name
LAVINSKI
Member #

Oh so many places to see in that area. How long are you planning on taking from Baker to Crater? As Mapjunkie said Alvord is epic. Out of Baker i would recommend going down to Succor Creek, great camping there with one of the only place to get to gwg Thunder Eggs. Lesie gulch is also a must hit. So many caynon roads to playn on. A lot of abandoned ranches scattered across the desert to visit.
Let me know more about your timeline and what you like to do and i i wi give you more then you can handle.

jeffs blackjeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

vancouver, b.c., canada
First Name
jeff
Last Name
ross
Member #

Oh so many places to see in that area. How long are you planning on taking from Baker to Crater? As Mapjunkie said Alvord is epic. Out of Baker i would recommend going down to Succor Creek, great camping there with one of the only place to get to gwg Thunder Eggs. Lesie gulch is also a must hit. So many caynon roads to playn on. A lot of abandoned ranches scattered across the desert to visit.
Let me know more about your timeline and what you like to do and i i wi give you more then you can handle.
thats great...thanks!!! :)

i'm a rock hound and would love to hunt for any thundereggs. the drive from baker city to crater lake is about 5 hrs...so we will be taking our time travelling there. succor creek will be put on the list, but see that its further east. hopefully time will give us a chance to visit this area.
our timeline is only a week, but looking at the map...easily doable for me and we intend on getting into baker city from vancouver b.c. on the first day.

cheers, jeff