Michael
Last Name
Lathwood
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3MFL
Service Branch
U.S. Army
I do not know the Canadian version of the FCC, but FRS and GMRS are shared along the border. Find out by going to your comms federal webpage to see what you can legally use. Just because the US uses it, doesn't mean the apartment upstairs can use.it.

Reactions: CherokeeRose

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

What is considered the most popular radio for off-roading in eastern canada.

Gmrs is really popular in the west right now but I hear CB is still prevalent

Thank you
Unfortunately GMRS in Canada is not like US GMRS. In Canada GMRS is limited to 2 watt handhelds... no mobile radios, no repeaters... so it's not as conducive to mobile trail use.

Reactions: CherokeeRose

CherokeeRose

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Brendan
Last Name
Ruddy
Member #

What is considered the most popular radio for off-roading in eastern canada.

Gmrs is really popular in the west right now but I hear CB is still prevalent

Thank you
Unfortunately GMRS in Canada is not like US GMRS. In Canada GMRS is limited to 2 watt handhelds... no mobile radios, no repeaters... so it's not as conducive to mobile trail use.
So I'm guessing most people still use CB as the standard. I remember going into a shop years ago asking what I should run in the old rig and they suggested UHF/vhf specifically because a lot of logging outfits use them and you can monitor the traffic.

HAM just seems overkill for just wanting to com offroad or monitor trucking

CherokeeRose

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
Brendan
Last Name
Ruddy
Member #

I do not know the Canadian version of the FCC, but FRS and GMRS are shared along the border. Find out by going to your comms federal webpage to see what you can legally use. Just because the US uses it, doesn't mean the apartment upstairs can use.it.
Ok thank you for the advice I'll go have a look at what our regulations are up here.

CherokeeRose

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
Brendan
Last Name
Ruddy
Member #

So with a quick search specifically asking about operating in Canada it seems that GMRS doesn't seem to be very common except for small handhelds, and that licencing for them or UHF VHF is done through Industry Canada (Canadian equivalent to FCC) and they assign you call signs channels, and you are covered under their licence or something like that. CBs seem to be popular and licence un required. Finally you still need an operators certificate to run HAM acquired through IC.

CherokeeRose

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

First Name
Brendan
Last Name
Ruddy
Member #

I just moved to PEI a few days ago and wanting a Home base radio, mobile for my camper/SUV, and handheld when trekking. I will mostly explore the Maritimes during the first year and venture out westbound after. What should I look for?
Well that's what I'm trying to find out as well.

The biggest question being what are most people running in their rigs up in Canada right now specifically the Easter half.

Sounds like HAM is going to be your best option for both a home base and mobile.

But are other people running mobile ham radios in their rigs for offroad comms too?

Dahs

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ontario
In Nova Scotia both are used heavily. There’s better coverage by VHF repeaters than there are cell towers. And lots still using CB. You’ll see an extra Antenna of some sort on at least half the trucks in rural areas.

Reactions: SPRINTERAE86