Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Modesto, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Estrella (hddoverland.com)
Member #

Hi guys, I think I’m going to be able to join, I just wanted to clarify the schedule for Friday. The start time in the rally point says 7 am Friday. Does that mean everyone is planning on being in Hawthorne on Thursday night? I know some people are kicking around getting there Thursday to catch fireworks in Bridgeport but I’m curious if I can roll in Friday morning instead. If the plan is to hit the trail early Friday then that won’t work obviously. I can probably make either way work I’m just trying to plan accordingly. Thanks for putting this together!
you can arrive Friday if you like but if you want to be a part of the days activities you're going to want to arrive early. I was hoping, key word "hoping".. to try and pull out of camp by 9:30-10am ish.. I know a couple of the others will be arriving very early in the morning on Friday as well. but might be a good idea to come up a little earlier so you can get some R/R before we head out..

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

I’ll probably be heading up highway 395, to highway 6, to Nevada 360 to highway 95 into Hawthorne on Thursday the 4th. That looks like the most direct route from Southern California.Hopefully I’ll get to Hawthorne by mid afternoon or so. The campground sounds fine, I have a camper shell on my truck and I sleep in there. This is going to be fun!
Im coming from SD and will be going that route as well if you want to meet up for the ride up the 395 etc? Maybe meet at the McD/Chev station exit off of the 15?

Christopher Hersey

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Roseville, CA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB
Ok, I just RSVP’d on the rally point. I’ll be leaving Roseville at the crack of dawn on Friday, and heading up I-80. It’s a 4 hour drive and I’m planning on being there no later than 9am.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Im coming from SD and will be going that route as well if you want to meet up for the ride up the 395 etc? Maybe meet at the McD/Chev station exit off of the 15?
I drive slower than most, (old truck), and was planning on just cruising up to Hawthorne. If that’s ok with you, I’d be happy to meet up and caravan up north. What time did you want to meet?

ag6hq

Rank 0

Contributor I

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Bower
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6HQ
FYI...
The McD/Chevron exit is for the 138, at the bottom of the Cajon Pass. Exit 395 off of 15 is a Pilot/Wendy's, and is just North of the top of the Pass.

ag6hq

Rank 0

Contributor I

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Bower
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6HQ
I drive slower than most, (old truck), and was planning on just cruising up to Hawthorne. If that’s ok with you, I’d be happy to meet up and caravan up north. What time did you want to meet?
FYI...
The McD/Chevron exit is for the 138, at the bottom of the Cajon Pass. Exit 395 off of 15 is a Pilot/Wendy's, and is just North of the top of the Pass.

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

FYI...
Right I just meant prior to hitting Victorville and the 395, off of the 15 . Its a rally point I use a lot as its right there and has a big parking lot. :)

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

You mean your overland rig doesnt do 90? :tonguewink:

Let me verify my schedule and I will ping you next week.

travelscotty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Central Oregon
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Reiff
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7JWM
Im 95% sure Im in. This trip sounds super chill and fun! I love Bodie and checking out the mines would be cool. I have stock 4x 4Runner, ground tent, and some cooking supplies. Coming from the bay area and probably headed to Alabama Hills afterwards. I have ham, FRS, sat (in-reach) and gopros and camera gear. Whats the plan for meals? Great way to spend the 4th! -Scott

Reactions: High Desert Drifter

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

As much as I hate to do it, I have to back out of this trip. I had something come up, and can’t make it. Please post lots of pictures, and hopefully I can make another trip with you all in the future.

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

As much as I hate to do it, I have to back out of this trip. I had something come up, and can’t make it. Please post lots of pictures, and hopefully I can make another trip with you all in the future.
Yea it appears the same for me. I banged my passenger slider REALLY hard last weekend in Big Bear and now have a bad knocking/rattling. I think I know what the issue is, but I dont know if I will have time to fix it before this trip :(

Christopher Hersey

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Roseville, CA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Hersey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6GTB
Im 95% sure Im in. This trip sounds super chill and fun! I love Bodie and checking out the mines would be cool. I have stock 4x 4Runner, ground tent, and some cooking supplies. Coming from the bay area and probably headed to Alabama Hills afterwards. I have ham, FRS, sat (in-reach) and gopros and camera gear. Whats the plan for meals? Great way to spend the 4th! -Scott
I'll let the organizers chime in on meals but I'm assuming it's a roll-your-own type deal. I'm bringing a portable BBQ that anyone is welcome to use (as long as you agree not to pour a whole bottle of BBQ sauce on the grill) plus either a small Coleman stove or a big Camp Chef double burner. Not sure I want to pack/unpack the Camp Chef everyday to go exploring though so I might leave it at home.

I'm assuming those of us using ground tents (myself included) will be able to leave them pitched during the day and not have to break down camp before the adventuring begins. From what I can tell, Whiskey Flats looks low key and safe enough to leave my tent pitched while we're gone but I guess I'll know better once we get there.

Really looking forward to this!

Reactions: travelscotty

High Desert Drifter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Modesto, California, United States
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Estrella (hddoverland.com)
Member #

I'll let the organizers chime in on meals but I'm assuming it's a roll-your-own type deal. I'm bringing a portable BBQ that anyone is welcome to use (as long as you agree not to pour a whole bottle of BBQ sauce on the grill) plus either a small Coleman stove or a big Camp Chef double burner. Not sure I want to pack/unpack the Camp Chef everyday to go exploring though so I might leave it at home.

I'm assuming those of us using ground tents (myself included) will be able to leave them pitched during the day and not have to break down camp before the adventuring begins. From what I can tell, Whiskey Flats looks low key and safe enough to leave my tent pitched while we're gone but I guess I'll know better once we get there.

Really looking forward to this!
Chris, yes everyone is preparing their own meals both in base camp as well as on the trail. you are welcome to team up with others if you want to prep meals together. as for camp, yes Whiskey Flats is a safe place and we will be leaving our camp set up there so we don't have to break down each day and reset when we return. I too am in a ground tent and plan on leaving everything set up in camp. the campsite employees will keep an eye out for us.

Frank

Reactions: Christopher Hersey

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

So good news, I figured out/fixed my slider issue and I am back in :) Got it fixed last night.

Question: will we be coming back to the same campground each day? If so I may just bring my ground tent and leave my RTT at home this time.