Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Ok, what is the general wisdom/consensus of using a Dutch/camp oven while roaming the back country?

I usually just use the campfire to do my steaks, and for coffee, eggs, bacon, etc. I use my Coleman 2-burner propane tabletop 'range.' I've watched quite a few of Ronny Dahl's cooking episodes, and he does use a camp ('Dutch') oven frequently, something I have never done (primarily due to the weight and 'mess' of those things.)

Is it worth having one in the car? Baking bread and making a stew/spaghetti meal seems to be a reasonable option, but I have been able to get by without one for over 15 years, so... :)

Jube

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NW Arkansas
Member #

I’m new to OB and my first post/reply is about a cast iron pot!?? I have several! Unless you’re backpacking, I carry at least one on every trip. If I could only have one, it would be a 12” deep(8 qt.). There are several brands out there to choose from, the old Griswold and Wagner’s are probably the best. They’re hard to find and expensive when you do find them on average. Lodge brand are USA made and is good iron and available about anywhere.
You can do anything in a Dutch (camp) oven you can do in your oven at home. Read up on the subject, look on YouTube also. If you like to camp cook, I think you’ll really like them. Good luck!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Dutch oven cobbler,,,Mmmmmm.. I usually make blue berry or cherry. If someone has a motor home or store near by. then top it with ice cream.

Scott

Reactions: scoyoc and Wotan

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

We did peach cobbler, with fresh peaches. We also make ice cream with an "ice cream ball". Ron

Reactions: scoyoc

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I love dutch oven cooking, most of the time it stays home though, I just don't have the space for it in the 4Runner. Five people in a 3rd gen 4Runner gets TIGHT!

Cobbler is awesome though, any flavor with any cake mix on top.

Reactions: Wotan

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Thanks everybody for the feedback. It’s decided... I’ll get a camp oven. Will try to find a used one; otherwise, I do have 3-4 months to break it in before my next trip...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 000

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg I use my cast iron gear as much as i can i have pots and frying pans and skillets
Only use pots on open fires , but use skillet on gas cookers. Things just taste better
Off cast iron , my fire pit at home i use ( on the left an old cast iron water bowser off a old steam roller ) and A cast kettle Even tea from cast tastes better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I have had to teach many a girlfriend on the proper washing of my cast iron cook wear! When I had a nasty divorce years ago, my wife and I had a big fight over who got the cast iron cooking skillets! She won! I had to start over! Benz.

Reactions: Wotan

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have had to teach many a girlfriend on the proper washing of my cast iron cook wear! When I had a nasty divorce years ago, my wife and I had a big fight over who got the cast iron cooking skillets! She won! I had to start over! Benz.
Glad mine was amicable. I got into cast iron...AFTER we were done and official. Mine were gifted....a dutch oven, a 95 year old skillet from my great grandmother(gifted down), and a resurrected griddle i brought back from the dead,

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
if you flip the lid upside down you can use it for a skillet of sorts
True, been there, done that, but prefer not too, because of the difficulty of accessing the dutch oven. And because I don't want to burn myself on the lid or contaminate what is in the dutch oven itself.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I meant more for breakfast , cooking bacon and eggs using just the lid . last time we just stacked up some rocks and pushed coals under it but I like this little doohicky and will be ordering one soon .
A5-11_1.jpg

Bisco Bum

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

TImmins Ontario
Member #

How do you wash it? I’m having trouble with mine !

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

How do you wash it? I’m having trouble with mine !
Lots of hot water and some scrubbing! No soap! If you have some stuff that will not come off try heating up the pan with some water in the pan as it warms up to a boil. After a few minutes of cool down time try using steel wool to clean the pan. Use some crisco or something like that and wipe that on the sides and bottom of the inside of the pan. Then set the pan in the oven on low for a couple of hours. Should be good to go after that. Then after use, just wipe the pan clean with a paper towel, make sure pan is dry and put away tell next time! Vance.

Reactions: Bisco Bum