Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I added more berries than called for, it called for 12 oz, I added another 6. It took less than 20 minutes to cook. I didn't do the sassy sauce. It was really good. Ron

scoyoc

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Moab, UT
We've been cooking chickens or game hens in the Dutchie for Thanksgiving Dinner in the backcountry the past few years. This year we planning to do 2 chickens in The Maze, Canyonlands National Park.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

scoyoc

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Moab, UT
Lots of hot water and some scrubbing! No soap! If you have some stuff that will not come off try heating up the pan with some water in the pan as it warms up to a boil...
Some additional thoughts on caring for your cast iron, since I just finished doing the dishes. Just a few things I've learned over the years.

I mostly use canola oil or bacon grease (not olive oil, it has a low smoke point) and a little salt to clean mine. I heat up the oil and salt, then scrub it with a rag, and wipe it clean. I only use water when food gets really stuck on, like @4wheelspulling. If I do have to use water, I immediately put the pan back on the hot burner, wipe out the excess water, and oil it down with canola or bacon grease. I let the pan get hot with the oil/grease on, almost to smoke point. I read somewhere a long while back that this helps the oil polymerize to the metal.

I also only use metal utensils on my pans and Dutchies. I have a nice flat sided spatula I like the best.
IMG_2693.jpg

I don't let anyone clean my cast iron. My mom really messes up the varnish when she visits; washes them with dish soap. I even leave special instructions for the house sitter when we go on vacation. That might be going too far, but I've spent a lot of time perfecting my cast irons. :-D

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Some additional thoughts on caring for your cast iron, since I just finished doing the dishes. Just a few things I've learned over the years.

I mostly use canola oil or bacon grease (not olive oil, it has a low smoke point) and a little salt to clean mine. I heat up the oil and salt, then scrub it with a rag, and wipe it clean. I only use water when food gets really stuck on, like @4wheelspulling. If I do have to use water, I immediately put the pan back on the hot burner, wipe out the excess water, and oil it down with canola or bacon grease. I let the pan get hot with the oil/grease on, almost to smoke point. I read somewhere a long while back that this helps the oil polymerize to the metal.

I also only use metal utensils on my pans and Dutchies. I have a nice flat sided spatula I like the best.
View attachment 75892

I don't let anyone clean my cast iron. My mom really messes up the varnish when she visits; washes them with dish soap. I even leave special instructions for the house sitter when we go on vacation. That might be going too far, but I've spent a lot of time perfecting my cast irons. :-D
Scoyoc,
You are completely right on the way to clean the cast iron, and I did forget to mention what you did about the salt and oil bath! Great points on the right oil or grease to use too! My whole family knows to let me clean the cast iron! Vance.

Reactions: Firemom

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I have found that hot water and a small plastic bristle brush works really well for cleaning the pots and pans, and does not hurt the seasoning at all. After I heat it a little and apply some crisco to it.

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves

View attachment 75892

Not going to far with the directions for the house sitter. You should see what happens in the firehouse when a probe/new kid goes after the castiron with dish soap and a scrub pad. We came back from a call one night and the new kid had totally cleaned the skillet down to grey metal. He was so proud that he was able to get all the "black stuff" off. There was almost a work-related homicide that night. We all managed to calm down and the kid now knows how to properly season and clean cast iron.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Not going to far with the directions for the house sitter. You should see what happens in the firehouse when a probe/new kid goes after the castiron with dish soap and a scrub pad. We came back from a call one night and the new kid had totally cleaned the skillet down to grey metal. He was so proud that he was able to get all the "black stuff" off. There was almost a work-related homicide that night. We all managed to calm down and the kid now knows how to properly season and clean cast iron.
Now that's funny....sad but funny.

Reactions: TerryD and scoyoc

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Don’t buy just any cast iron pan! Looking at most you can find now, run your fingernail over the surface of the pan. You want to find as smooth of a surface as possible, if you don’t want food to stick. Hate to say this, but you are better to find an older cast iron cookware, in a yard sale on something like that than new stuff. There are some good brands that are much more expensive, if you look online, but you will go ouch, when you see the price! I know of people that will take a Camp Chef, or Lodge brand pan and take the time to sand the inside of the pan smooth, then season the pan before use. Good luck! Vance.

Reactions: Firemom and TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Don’t buy just any cast iron pan! Looking at most you can find now, run your fingernail over the surface of the pan. You want to find as smooth of a surface as possible, if you don’t want food to stick. Hate to say this, but you are better to find an older cast iron cookware, in a yard sale on something like that than new stuff. There are some good brands that are much more expensive, if you look online, but you will go ouch, when you see the price! I know of people that will take a Camp Chef, or Lodge brand pan and take the time to sand the inside of the pan smooth, then season the pan before use. Good luck! Vance.
I have a small Lodge that I carry in my mess kit that's rough like that. It came with a stove I bought so I'm not overly concerned with it but it does stick more than my others. They've had to cut manufacturing steps to stay competitive with the Chinese market and keep production in the US.

When you have walmart selling a new dutch oven for under $30, that's hard to compete with for folks that use it once a season.

I've considered sanding my little Lodge but it seems that as it's gotten coated more heavily with seasoning, it's smoothing up some. Maybe using a scotch brite pad on it to clean it more often would help too. :smile:

Firemom

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
Yep. If ya buy a new Lodge. Sand her down and re-season. Takes some time but is well worth it.