First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Looking for a shock/suspension experts here:
I have been kicking around the idea of my next upgrade, I need to replace the lower arms on my FJ Cruiser so I am going to upgrade them. That is happening, the decision has been made. I am going with the Camburg stock length arms. The question I have now is, do I add a bypass shock or an Air bump stop? I have the option of going either route and the fabrication needed to modify for either is about equal. My question is about performance, what I expect to do with the rig and what will be the best long term solution. My thought is to go air bump. here's why:

DSC05144.jpgDSC05152.jpg

My biggest concern with adding a dual bypass shock is using it as a bump. I know a lot of people use them as bumps in that last pressure zone. I am thinking that's a bad idea. I am thinking shocks are not designed to be the limiting factor in suspension travel, the bump stop is and a limiting strap if you need that top end limit. Am I wrong? I know I will get more control over the front end with bypasses. I know I will get a better ride if properly tuned and so on but how will it handle the weight?

Air bump stops do the job of being the limiting factor in travel, reliving the shock of that work. They also absorb the energy in that last bit of travel smoothing out the bottom-out and the rebound. So there is a performance benefit. Given the extra weight of the vehicle, I feel bottoming out and striking the bump is way more likely IMO.

DSC06461.jpgDSC06551.jpg

I could be completely wrong in all of this. This is based on my research and reading and asking local shops and so on. I am not looking to bomb through the desert at 80mph. But I am looking for the best performance option between the two and balancing that with reliability.

(Pics for fun)

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Air bumps. Because:

A nearly stock fj hasn't enough travel to effectively use bypasses. They just aren't needed. You need firm damping throughout the whole range of travel, when you have heavy vehicles with sub par shock travel. (that's pretty much all of us)

Can't we just valve the shocks super stiff and then use the bypasses to adjust the shock lighter? Sure. But it's expensive. Makes more sense to just get the biggest non bypass shocks that you can afford, and if needed, get the tools to change the valve shims yourself.

Bypass valves have an annoying rattle as well.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Air bumps. Because:

A nearly stock fj hasn't enough travel to effectively use bypasses. They just aren't needed. You need firm damping throughout the whole range of travel, when you have heavy vehicles with sub par shock travel. (that's pretty much all of us)

Can't we just valve the shocks super stiff and then use the bypasses to adjust the shock lighter? Sure. But it's expensive. Makes more sense to just get the biggest non bypass shocks that you can afford, and if needed, get the tools to change the valve shims yourself.

Bypass valves have an annoying rattle as well.
This is confirming my feelings as well. Bypass shocks seem to be overkill and minimally effective for what "we" do. I went with 2.5" King Extended travel shocks and am very happy with the performance. I do think I need to customize the valving a bit there but it's not critical as I feel performance-wise, they're pretty close. Bumps I feel really round out the suspension and offer a little more room for adjustment by managing the pressure. I also feel it will smooth out the hard hits in the front. I have hydraulic bump stops in the rear and it's a world of difference. I am guessing I will get the same out of the front.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yeah, that's the way to go. Add a compression shim to the shock you already have, if needed.

Even the Raptor guys are walking away from rear bypass shocks. Bypass shocks are great for buggies and trucks where shock length is measured in feet, not inches.

Reactions: FrankRoams