Dual battery quick connection for running power and solar into a canopy?

• HTML tutorial

Highmark Adventures

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chilliwack,BC Canada
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Hamilton
Member #

I finally got my half canopy installed on truck. My question is what do you guys/gals use for a water tight connection to run the main power and solar wires into your canopy . I would need it to
be easily disconnected when I need to remove it. I was thinking Anderson connectors but curious to see what others have done.

If this topic has been covered already could you please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any info

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I used this for my camper shell lights. One the side where my awning is a pair of my lights.

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Well, for my solar connections directly off the panel I use your standard MC4 connectors. Closer to the aux battery I switch to Anderson plugs. For my main power from the starter battery to aux, and power to my fridge I use Anderson plugs.

Anderson plugs are generally going to be your most readily available and ubiquitous connection type and have a wide variety of wire size and amperage ratings available. MC4 connectors are very common as well, more weatherproof, but a bit more of a pain in the butt to disconnect depending on the brand. Additionally MC4 connectors only go up to 30A and 10 gauge.

I have not ever had a problem with my Anderson style plugs. They should be tin coated copper connectors. So you could certainly see some corrosion, as with anything, but it shouldn't 'rust'. You want to place your electrical grease on the connection points just like you would other automotive applications and you also want to ensure that you have properly heat shrinked your wires. If you do that it's not much different to any plug that is exposed to the elements. It's going to have a little grit and grime but the connection should remain strong.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Anderson is generally fine as long as you don't install them low. They will corrode over time but a little dielectric grease can save you the headache.

If you want to do weatherproof, Metri-Pack and Weather Pack are pretty ubiquitous for their simplicity even if I think they're terrible, outdated connector designs. I'd much prefer something like Aptiv Apex 2.8 or if on lower power, Molex MX150 which both have mat seals that are built into the connector. Much lower profile connector and easier to build without dealing with those stupid individual seals.

For me, I use 100% Apex 2.8 just beacuse I have the proper crimpers. It's not a cheap system but I'm very happy with it given it can handle 10awg and 40A per circuit.

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

Keep in mind that Anderson offers both dust covers and full rubber environment boots for many of their plugs. I use both in different situations. No trouble so far.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have used almost all of the above. I use the MC4 on my solar because its mostly the standard. I don't use them because their better, I use them because if I need a Y splice or add in something, most solar equipment has them installed already. It saves me the trouble of cutting and converting to something else. In a nut shell, ease of use.

Reactions: Sputnik

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

I have used almost all of the above. I use the MC4 on my solar because its mostly the standard. I don't use them because their better, I use them because if I need a Y splice or add in something, most solar equipment has them installed already. It saves me the trouble of cutting and converting to something else. In a nut shell, ease of use.
Indeed. I keep the mc4 connectors on the panels for ease of hook up and inter connecting panels. It’s just the end that connects to the charger input that I put mc50 Anderson’s on.