Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Almost every year the wife and I venture up to Michigan. We go to Traverse City, where I went to high school and then to the U.P. I have yet to venture to Drummond Island. If you're an off roader, then you probably have heard of it. If not, here's a link. There's even a Jeep run coming up in April from Mackinaw to Drummond. So here's my thought, since several of us live in the middle of the country, how plausible would it be to put together a few day event in the U.P.? My thoughts are starting at Mackinaw Island, head to Drummond, take the ferry to the Island and hit some trails. Then, we could head to Sault St. Marie. We have more Canadians joining this forum now and it would be great to meet some of our northern brothers and sisters.

One of the things I enjoy about the great lakes is also visiting the light houses. I know that's boring to some, but they are really cool. Another thought I had was a trip along the coast of Wisconsin and Michigan, hitting as many light houses and forts as possible in a few day period. If there is any interest at all in a Drummond Island trip, let me know and I'll invest the time. There is a U.P. forum that I visit and those guys I'm sure would be happy to provide me with more info and insight.

Here's a link to Drummond Island if interested in learning more about the area.
http://www.drummondislandchamber.com/index.php?page=Home

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I love the idea, but I'll be heading out of the country for a long while in mid-April. I will be busily preparing for the trip so I doubt I could take a weekend away. Drummond is a cool area, fairly flat but with lots of trails around the island.

Reactions: ShawnR

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

I am heading to Drummond Island in August. We rented a log home. I can't wait to go. Trail riding and fishing. That is the life.

Hank

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I am heading to Drummond Island in August. We rented a log home. I can't wait to go. Trail riding and fishing. That is the life.

Hank
Looking forward to your trip report. I'll have to use that to build my trip plans on whenever I can finally make it there.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army

Hank
Well, I just convinced the wife that we should do the U.P. again this August. Didn't hurt that I invited all her kids up this time. So we're looking into spending some time in the U.P. in August now. Probably go to the same cabins in Germfask that we usually stay at. It's a pretty cool place with Sweeney Wildlife Refuge just down the road. Anyway, yaaah, looks like I'm going to the U.P. this August. Not sure about Drummond Island yet though. Might just only be able to do a day trip over to there.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Are factory rigs capable enough for the Drummond Island? Depending on when you wanted to go it maybe something I can get the wife into doing.
I'm sure on most of the trails you'd be good. The GC is a very capable vehicle. Basically, you have to take a ferry over to the island. But there are hotels, etc. on the island. You know me though, I'm not into anything too hardcore. So I'd probably just stay on the moderate trails. If your not familiar with it, google it and check it out. Looks pretty cool. And if you do go, might as well stop at Mackinac Island on the way. That's a really neat place to visit as well.

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

That is where we will be staying. I will be there the first week of August. If your around and want to do some trail riding just let me know. Its a great place with plenty of different types of off roading to enjoy.

Hank

Reactions: ShawnR

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
So what did you think of the island? I have been there many times over the years (twice this year). I enjoy it. Some of the trails can get pretty hairy. Especially one of the two that will take you out to Marble Head. We are lucky that Michigan is a state that allows dispersed camping so we have a few spots around the island we use.

Some weekends cane be busier than others. It is even home to one of the Jeep Jamborees I believe.

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
I know quite a few folks on http://upoverland.org/ have been there and theres a nice writeup or two about it if you're a member there
Yes I am Rattler on there also. I have pretty much been on all the UP Overland trips or at least met up with them at some point. I actually had an article published in 4WD Toyota Owner about DI last year. The UPO was on DI for a couple days back in August.

Reactions: expeditionnorth

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

So what did you think of the island? I have been there many times over the years (twice this year). I enjoy it. Some of the trails can get pretty hairy. Especially one of the two that will take you out to Marble Head. We are lucky that Michigan is a state that allows dispersed camping so we have a few spots around the island we use.

Some weekends cane be busier than others. It is even home to one of the Jeep Jamborees I believe.
I have been there with you!! Several years ago when I still had my green Sahara Jeep YJ we went up on the weekend with GLFWDA and helped the DNR put the trail signs up and clear some trails out. It seems like at that time you had an older Toyota truck you were driving. I do love Drummond Island and the state of Michigan. I picked up my daughter in Grand Rapids on Saturday and we cruised down Lake Shore Dr and the Red Arrow Hwy down to New Buffalo. We checked out the Warren Dunes State Park and visited some of the nice road side parks that allow you to walk down to Lake Michigan and take in some amazing views.

Hank

Reactions: expeditionnorth

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
Ha. The trail signing. I am still driving that Tacoma. Last time we were up there camping, we were telling my buddy about that night run we did when we were up there then. That was fun! I probably have a couple pics of your Jeep on my PC somewhere.

E

expeditionnorth

Yes I am Rattler on there also. I have pretty much been on all the UP Overland trips or at least met up with them at some point. I actually had an article published in 4WD Toyota Owner about DI last year. The UPO was on DI for a couple days back in August.
I remember that
one day I want to get out to the UP
JESse was the one who told me about the forum over on gmc4x4.com

TacoVenturer87

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Kenora, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Gren
Member #

Hi all

I stumbled upon this thread while looking for meets in my area.. I'll call within 700km of my place near by lol

Is there anything going on in Vermont in the foreseeable future??

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using OB Talk mobile app

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
Hi all

I stumbled upon this thread while looking for meets in my area.. I'll call within 700km of my place near by lol

Is there anything going on in Vermont in the foreseeable future??

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using OB Talk mobile app
A great event I would like to attend some day is the Vermont Overland Rally. My friend Jason Grogg from Dirt Road Trip has done it several times. I love the description they have of the event here. http://www.vermontoverland.com/vor/

Reactions: TacoVenturer87