Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey Members! This is a message to you about Overland Bound's Trail Guardian Program and the roll we play in its success. Together as a community we can leave the world a better place than we found it. Thank you for watching!

Link to Trail Guardian Event Creator: Create Trail Guardian Event

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Sounds great! I would definitely be interested in doing some trail clean up.
Stay tuned! I’m currently working wth SBNF rangers and the ball is rolling. We are through the paperwork and in the process of choosing a trail(s) this weekend. More info as I get it and thanks for your interest!!!

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
To all those who “Get out and do it”:
I really like the message being stated here. It’s just so darn simple and easy for everyone in our community to do. What I find rewarding when we’re out on the trail, in the beach, hiking in nature, or pulling off the road in my daily driver just to take a moment to take in a view.....is to look down on the ground, have a bag always handy or use one you find right there on the ground, and take a few moments to fill it. It really takes so little effort, and feels good. I actually find it therapeutic almost like a meditation! And when you’ve filled a bag, take a moment to look around and enjoy the contribution you made to making that place look a little better. I learned this practice 20 years ago through Surfrider Foundation and have done it ever since. What’s the best part, is doing it without anyone else knowing. There’s a certain self satisfaction you get from doing it. Good job Michael on the messaging, this to me is the most impactful part of what we can do together as a community. Thanks to you all who “Do it”!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It’s just so darn simple and easy for everyone in our community to do...
...have a bag always handy or use one you find right there on the ground, and take a few moments to fill it. It really takes so little effort, and feels good...
What’s the best part, is doing it without anyone else knowing. There’s a certain self satisfaction you get from doing it.

Agreed! I find at times though, that letting other people see what you're doing can be good too, and can create a greater public awareness that they too, can be helpful.

To this end, at times I intentionally wear orange gloves and wear an orange daypack when I go around picking up what others have left behind. It most always starts a conversation when someone sees me, with questions like "You work for the state?" or "Wow, you found all that here?"

It's a great opportunity to then tell them about organizations like Leave No Trace, Tread Lightly, and adventure forums like this one and others that organize cleanups and help spread the word about what I've been calling "low impact land use and responsible recreation."

Now I carry extra "biocompostable" bags, same size as plastic grocery bags, both to use for my own trash gathering and to give out to others when they ask why I'm picking up trash. These bags biodegrade and are recyclable, whereas the typical plastic grocery bag is not.

I buy them in rolls of 100. If anyone wants to try a couple, DM your contact info, mention biocompostable bags, and I'll send you a couple.

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We pick up trash everywhere we go in our adventures. Usually 2-3 grocery bags per day trip. Been doing it for many years. Nastiest place: Ocala N.F. and the Fl. Keys. Cleanest: Seminole State Forest, Fl. Colorado, Montana, Smoky Mtn. N.P. Seems to be getting worse since 19 hit. Better start educating the Newbees because the Park services can’t handle it so they will just start shutting down areas.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This is one of the big things I am looking forward to doing. I want to make sure that the beautiful places we travel to stay that way. One of the first “mods” I bought was a Trasharoo hahaha
We have a tentative date for the Mojave Preserve Trail Guardian event if your interested. April 24.

Watch for a Rally Point coming out in February.

eProtocol

Rank V

Influencer II

Austin, Texas, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Davis
Member #

This is one of the big things I am looking forward to doing. I want to make sure that the beautiful places we travel to stay that way. One of the first “mods” I bought was a Trasharoo hahaha
We have a tentative date for the Mojave Preserve Trail Guardian event if your interested. April 24.

Watch for a Rally Point coming out in February.
I would love too! Thank you for the invite :)

Status
Not open for further replies.