Dog in camper shell?

• HTML tutorial

ShredSled

Rank 0

Traveler I

Socal
I'm in the process of finding and purchasing a Tacoma. I have a german shepherd and so I want a 4 door so he can stay in the back seat rather than the camper shell. I guess my question is do you guys think that if i got a 2 door and put the dog in the shell and opened the shell windows, the dog would be okay? I plan on going on long trips, occasionally to the desert as well. TIA

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

It will be very warm in the sun. The windows that open on most caps are probably not big enough to circulate cool air while driving and certainly not enough while the vehicle is parked. I had a cap on my Tacoma and it was an oven inside in the summer.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Looking into the same option. I have a Taco as well with a shell on it. I have found a small swamp cooler that runs on 12 v. Not sure how much this will drain the battery, but I also have an off road camper with solar power that I can put mine in with the regular fan and the swamp cooler. It runs about $50. Just google it

The Crowbar

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Florida
First Name
Nik
Last Name
Kerry
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I have a lab that averages 80 pounds. I keep him in the back of my double cab tacoma on the 60 side of the 60/40 split. He lays on a dog pillow and pretty much sleeps through most trips. I wouldn't put him in the bed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

My vote is look for an extended cab or 4door truck cab if you cannot have your dog sit by you in a regular cab. They make a safety harness for dogs that you could use in the front seat of your regular cab truck. If it is to hot for you with a warm coat on in your canopy after 15 min. or so think of what would happen with your dog? A dog just can’t take off it’s coat! Benz.

Reactions: Road

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

This is my setup. The only time the dog goes in the camper is when I'm sleeping in the camper. Otherwise he's in the rear seats when we're out and about, looking out the window or sleeping. I have the Outdoorsman Windooors but even with both sides screen open, with the tail and rear hatch closed on a warm spring day it got uncomfortably warm in there for me.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Now that it is summer you should not leave a pet of any kind inside the vehicle. I know people who have broke out other's window just to save the pet from brain meltdown/death.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Have a double cab Tundra. When I was deciding on a truck, having a safe and comfy place for our two dogs was close to the top of the list. Personally, I wouldn't travel with my dogs anywhere else other than in the truck with us. We always carry two set of keys as well, in the event where we may have to leave them in the vehicle for a short period of time I lock them in with the A/c running (and my Wife puts a note on the window to let the duddley do-right window breakers of the world know our dogs are doing just fine)

Blacksmith Scott

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Keeping dogs in the front is the best...but if I get out...just to chat with someone beside the truck I always open the window enough to get my arm in to unlock the door. It likely won’t happen on the Taco, but I used to have a dodge. Jax likes to put his feet up on the door...right where the door lock is! With the truck running, the doors locked, two dogs inside, the guy I was talking to left and on a remote road 5 miles from home there was little choice. $400 for a back window! Hide-a-key might have helped.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk