louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have one like this for the overland hound.
my step-daughter has two medium sized dogs she brings on camp trips and while dogs are fairly smart and careful, i do see where they can get into broken glass and stuff on the trail and need some help, so we do a basic kit for them. i always wondered about snake bites and how likely a dog would get bitten.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
my step-daughter has two medium sized dogs she brings on camp trips and while dogs are fairly smart and careful, i do see where they can get into broken glass and stuff on the trail and need some help, so we do a basic kit for them. i always wondered about snake bites and how likely a dog would get bitten.
I learned recently about a rattlesnake vaccine for dogs. Mine just got her first dose. A booster in a month, then once every 6 months. It doesn’t “cure” things, but gives you a longer time to get to the vet for treatment.

Reactions: grubworm

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
Don't forget a muzzle. Even the most gentle, trusting pet can bite when they are injured and scared. Especially when the pet is not yours. Out of the 3 time I have been bitten by my own dogs, 2 of them were when they were injured. The other time I was a toddler and got in the dogs face.

Uniquely Us Adventures

Rank VIII

Pathfinder I

Sacramento, California, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Montelbetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HAM - KN6TKY & GMRS - WRQT727
Service Branch
FIRE/EMS
Dogs make such great travel companions! We have a German shepherd and a husky. Our German shepherd is such a fantastic guard dog and so loyal. Our husky well he’s just a husky he loves to be loved, run and eat. lol I definitely pack extra gauze for injuries. Luckily they’re both 15 and I’ve never had anything more than a small cut. Someone suggested a muzzle and I think that’s a fantastic idea when treating a hurt dog. And or you may run into a stray dog that escaped a camp that you need to babysit while looking for its owner and it wouldn’t hurt to have a muscle for that situation.

Attachments

Reactions: MuckSavage

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
this is a pretty good thread. we staked the pooch out in the pond for the last three days hoping to try out the snake bite kit we got. if no action by the weekend, we'll have to move her out to deeper water...

pb.jpg

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

This tri-care ointment is really good for all kinds of injuries on dogs and livestock. Always write the date on first aid stuff so you know to buy a new one next time you swing by tractor supply.

Attachments

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
great thread. I haven't taken my dog out much but this sounds like something I need to put together for him for when I do. Or if anyone else brings a pup out, and they don't have anything.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Several points to echo/ share:
1. The adventure Medical Kit is the only "Dog First Aid Kit I would trust off the shelf (Mostly)
2. Some dogs have allergies to it, but if the tolerate it, a Tick Collar is great for the backcountry
3. Farm supply stores sell a purple/blue antibacterial spray that works well on cuts and burns/ rashes
4.For most dogs I'd recommend a crash rated dog harness for vehicle travel, dogs become meat missiles in crashes
5. Hydration, don't forget dog hydration needs when venturing out into the great unknown