Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Blythewood SC
First Name
Bailey
Last Name
C
Member #

So me and my wife and picking up a 10 week old german Shepard mix from the local shelter tomorrow. I grew up with a small dog so never had a dog to take on hikes and such. I am military so I have some decent emergency first aid training and I’ve done some research and had some on the job medical accidents so I feel like I have human first aid pretty good but I know nothing about animal first aid any tips, good YouTube videos anything like that y’all can help me with. I’m also looking for a good kit to keep in the truck?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Good topic! I’ve been thinking about this recently too. Especially being in the middle of nowhere with a very large dog. I found a doggie first aid kit at my local pet store. Lots of familiar items, but heavy on gauze and dressings instead of adhesive bandages.

Reactions: Offroadnutz

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Congrats on the new family member! I would also like to know more about first aid for pets. Hey @Michael Do we have any Veterinarians on the forum?

Project hermes

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Blythewood SC
First Name
Bailey
Last Name
C
Member #

Here she is the navigator. (my wife is the co pilot) I think ill stick to maps for nav though she only leads me to the treat aisle at the pet store. Vet said she'll get to about 50lbs good thing I have a crew cab

Attachments

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Talk to your Vet for ideas on what to put in a 1st aid kit. Mine was helpful putting a kit together. And, as it applies to a human kit, you get to put hands on every item so you know what you have. As mentioned above, mines heavy on gauze. I've added a clotting gel, Benadryl, Ascription (Buffered Aspirin), eye wash, etc.

Offroadtails

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Galt, California
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZM
Not exactly sure what you mean?
the attached photo came from fidoprotection.com, last year I went hiking and one of my two dogs got overheated and decided to rest in the shade to cool off. we rested and she drank most all of the water we brought alone. So it got me looking for a way to carry them out if they got injuries as well. I hope this helps.

1587171269319.png

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
the attached photo came from fidoprotection.com, last year I went hiking and one of my two dogs got overheated and decided to rest in the shade to cool off. we rested and she drank most all of the water we brought alone. So it got me looking for a way to carry them out if they got injuries as well. I hope this helps.

View attachment 149868
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure I could carry my dog any distance. I affectionately call her the puppyhorse.

Offroadtails

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Galt, California
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZM
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm not sure I could carry my dog any distance. I affectionately call her the puppyhorse.
If you go to the site, you can see pics where 2 people are “strapped“ together. But it sounds like you would need another option.

be safe,

Reactions: Project hermes

Seamoss

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Winchester, KY, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Service Branch
Army 2002-2008
Dont forget hydrogen peroxide for wound cleaning and to induce vomiting in a pinch. If you really get out there, we always take a bit of amoxicillin to fight infection should you be unable to get to a vet. Had a dog almost lose a foot a few years back from the smallest cut that got infected and swelled up over night.

splatterdab

Rank II

Contributor III

Atwater, CA, USA
First Name
RANDY
Last Name
BROWN
Member #

View attachment 149868
Yes, agree especially if you spend time in wilderness or remote areas. I'm on our county K9 search team and a K9 carry device is essential and hopefully will not be needed.

Offroadtails

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Galt, California
First Name
Markus
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DZM

View attachment 149868
Yes, agree especially if you spend time in wilderness or remote areas. I'm on our county K9 search team and a K9 carry device is essential and hopefully will not be needed.
I received one for Christmas. I have not tried it out yet but hopefully I will never need to use it on my pups.