Does anyone use a Massimo Fridge-Freezer?

• HTML tutorial

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
Does anyone use a Massimo Fridge-Freezer? How do you like it? Costco has several models for incredible prices. I am thinking about getting the CX50 (52 Quart) for $269.00 or the CX40 (42 Quart) for $259.99 if I can find some good feedback.

1617248649873.png

Reactions: Dusther210

codemancer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stansbury Park, UT, USA
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7OHT
I have the CX30 (only one that will fit under my tonneau). It isn't perfect, but honestly it does a good job, especially for the price. I haven't tried another 12V fridge so I can't compare but my only real complaint is the temperature gradient inside the machine. Directly below the compressor is the coldest area but it gets progressively warmer up towards the top. You can use this to your advantage if you're smart about it, but overall it's just kind of annoying. I set it to about 32F and place meat directly below and cans on the bottom to the side then everything else I pile on top. The meat will be very cold (sometimes even semi-frozen) and the cans will be quite cold. Stuff on top takes quite a while to get close to the same temps below. For example a can on bottom will get to ~35-38F in a matter of hours, but a can on top could take 6+ to get in the low 40s.

All told, I'm still happy with it for the price. I'm actually considering purchasing a CX50 while they're on sale now that I'm swapping out my tonneau for a cap. $270 is incredibly hard to beat for 50L of storage.

Also, they are advertised as having LG compressors. Some people have left reviews saying they are branded differently, and still others claim they called the company and the company stated those are in fact LG compressors but can't be branded as such. Idk, but they definitely get the job done.

Reactions: DMS1 and grubworm

tractor to trail

Rank III

Advocate I

N. Florida
First Name
Fred
Last Name
S
Couldn't pass that deal up. Was planning on an Iceco but I can buy 2 of these for nearly the same price. Reviews are good, Costco has a great return policy so why not.
Does anyone use a Massimo Fridge-Freezer? How do you like it? Costco has several models for incredible prices. I am thinking about getting the CX50 (52 Quart) for $269.00 or the CX40 (42 Quart) for $259.99 if I can find some good feedback.

View attachment 193251

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I bought one from Costco for 275 shipped for the cx40. So far I'm quite happy with it, but I've not used it on a trip yet.

I did do some testing with my 540Wh rockpals battery over the weekend. Running on eco mode, with the temp set to 35, the fridge used about 25% battery every 24 hours. I expect that to increase to 40-50% per 24 hours in the summer. Paired with a 120w solar panel, I think I should be able to keep the battery topped off without much issue.

The fridge was mostly empty, so I expect effeciency to be better when it's stocked up.

So far I'm pretty pleased with it. I too was going to pick up the iceco (vl45), but this was a great deal even if it's a bit quirky.

My only real complaint so far is that there are no handles on the sides that can be used to tie the fridge down.

tigerowner

Rank III

Enthusiast II

West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Grey
Member #

Received mine today. Took less than a week. Build quality is less than a name brand but on par with what I paid. Will report back after using it for a bit. You can see the buckling where the grey plastic meets the white. The lid insulation is limited. Definitely in the bargain section.

Attachments

tractor to trail

Rank III

Advocate I

N. Florida
First Name
Fred
Last Name
S
Received mine today. Took less than a week. Build quality is less than a name brand but on par with what I paid. Will report back after using it for a bit. You can see the buckling where the grey plastic meets the white. The lid insulation is limited. Definitely in the bargain section.
Sounds pretty good... I ordered the 40 on Tuesday. Cant wait to give it a run. Glad to hear you got it in a week.

Camaro Guy

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bakersfield, CA
Member #

I have the 53qt I believe . I have had it well over a year ! I absolutely love it !! It has held up to countless DeathValley trips and has never missed a beat ! The only negative I can say is that it has no hold downs . The only way to secure it is to put a strap around or over the telescoping handle area in the back ! On the plus side , with the compressor being on top. You can stack gear around the bottom to help secure it and not worry about blocking the vents !!

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I ended up buying an Alpicool T60 back in April, been working fine so far using it everyday.

codemancer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stansbury Park, UT, USA
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Bartlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7OHT
I ended up returning mine. I could only trust it to keep the bottom half cold and the plug was so bad that it regularly fell out and shut the fridge off. I lost two batches of food which ruined two trips. The last time the fridge was on and in my truck locked up and then in the morning it was off somehow. I guess wind was enough to rock the truck ever so slightly that it dislodged it. I replaced it with an ICECO VL45 which has been great.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Mines still been working fantastic. Used it on several trips so far this year, and other than the cigarette plug occasionally getting loose (will be resolved with the trailer build), I've been very happy with it.