Does any one have a zero generator and solar panel unit

• HTML tutorial

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I’ve been thinking a portable lithium system with integrated charger and inverter would make for a more flexible alternative to dual battery install as well. Haven’t taken the plunge but was looking at the Bioenno 400W-hr unit. I need to do some power draw calculations still to see if it would fit the bill.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Cpol
very interested in the system over getting a dual battery system
I don't have one my self but a friend brought hers on our trip to Utah last summer. IIRC she has a goal Zero 1000 (The older lead Acid batteries not the newer LIGHTER Lithium model.) It worked very well with the single packable solar panel to keep all of our camera and cell phones fully charged, Ran a couple of tent fans etc...

I'm considering something similar, Likely a DIY Ammo Can battery system, a bit smaller and lower capacity but able to charge from 120v AC, 12V DC, or solar to keep batts for all of the toys charged.

Boort

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I don't know what your intended use would be but something to be mindful of with the new lithium models is that you would have to use the inverter to run a fridge. Its not a true 12v system and the fridge will not work with it which is a shame since they're so much lighter. This is an issue because the inverter is less efficient. I believe this isn't a problem with the newer LiPo batteries.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I have a Goal Zero 400 and a 100 watt GZ Suitcase panel as well. I've only used the panel to keep my starter battery topped off so my fridge continues to run. I do this vs. running my fridge off of the 400. I use the 400 to mainly charge electronics. My fridge stays hardwired directly to my starter battery, full time, all year long, but I do drive my Jeep daily.

Reactions: St8ton

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I don't know what your intended use would be but something to be mindful of with the new lithium models is that you would have to use the inverter to run a fridge. Its not a true 12v system and the fridge will not work with it which is a shame since they're so much lighter. This is an issue because the inverter is less efficient. I believe this isn't a problem with the newer LiPo batteries.
The new Goal Zero 400 lithium will run an ARB refrigerator with the 12 volt plug. 12 volt plug is more efficient and the ARB refrigerator drawers 7 to 2.0 amps.

Reactions: John~SWNM

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
The new Goal Zero 400 lithium will run an ARB refrigerator with the 12 volt plug. 12 volt plug is more efficient and the ARB refrigerator drawers 7 to 2.0 amps.
I was told BY Goal Zero it would not for the reason I explained. It’s not about amps, it’s about voltage.

Reactions: sabjku

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I was told BY Goal Zero it would not for the reason I explained. It’s not about amps, it’s about voltage.
They have listed on their website that it will run a small refrigerator and I spoke with the folks at Yeti as well and they told me it should run for quite some time. I am going to call them again today and see if I can get more clarity. The ARB fridge is rated at running at .72 to 2.0 amps which translates to around 25 watts which equates to a single light bulb. I would hope that a 400 amp hour lithium battery can run a 24 watt bulb for quite some time but thank you for the heads up I will confirm again this morning and we'll share what I hear.

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I have a small goal zero system just to keep my cell phone up. I have seen there bigger units. I was impressed with them a Doc I met had his computer, printer, small refrigerator, lights in is tent & awning. Plus his c pap all hooked to the battery unit (a 12" X 12" or near abouts that size). He said it was a couple years old & no issues. All in camp were impressed.

Reactions: Boort

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Taken from the Yeti 400 lithium page.

WHAT CAN THE YETI 400 LITHIUM POWER?

The Yeti 400 Lithium is great for all your medium sized power needs or multiple smaller devices.

Smartphone 20+ Recharges
POV Camera 70+ Recharges
Headlamp 70+ Recharges
Tablet 10+ Recharges
Laptop 3-5 Recharges
Light-a-Life 130 Hours
Mini Fridge 7 Hours
32 LCD TV 3 hours.

Reactions: T.Shack

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Keep in mind the battery size of your typical dual battery system. Here is a list of battery sizes and amp power ratings. A group 27 battery is producing about a hundred amp hours of power whereas the yeti is producing 400. The only real advantage that I see with a dual battery system installed on a vehicle is that it's charged by the alternator which probably is a faster charge than going with a 110 outlet or solar.

Some common battery size codes used are: (ratings are approximate)

U134 to 40 Amp hours12 volts
Group 24 70-85 Amp hours12 volts
Group 27 85-105 Amp hours12 volts
Group 3195-125 Amp hours12 volts4-D180-215 Amp hours12 volts

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Keep in mind the battery size of your typical dual battery system. Here is a list of battery sizes and amp power ratings. A group 27 battery is producing about a hundred amp hours of power whereas the yeti is producing 400. The only real advantage that I see with a dual battery system installed on a vehicle is that it's charged by the alternator which probably is a faster charge than going with a 110 outlet or solar.

Some common battery size codes used are: (ratings are approximate)

U134 to 40 Amp hours12 volts
Group 24 70-85 Amp hours12 volts
Group 27 85-105 Amp hours12 volts
Group 3195-125 Amp hours12 volts4-D180-215 Amp hours12 volts
Very interesting conversation with the folks over at Goal Zero. They make a great product and their customer service people are very knowledgeable. The 400 lithium is a deep cycle battery which operates differently than your Automotive cranking type batteries. The cranking battery stays at a higher voltage but has less amp hours typically. When operating a ARB type fridge there is a low voltage cutoff built into the fridge to protect it from draining your automotive battery. The yeti operates at a slightly lower voltage than your typical cranking battery but still has a lot of life left in it so the way it's working right now is the ARB fridge my kick off when the battery still has about 40% of life in it

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Very interesting conversation with the folks over at Goal Zero. They make a great product and their customer service people are very knowledgeable. The 400 lithium is a deep cycle battery which operates differently than your Automotive cranking type batteries. The cranking battery stays at a higher voltage but has less amp hours typically. When operating a ARB type fridge there is a low voltage cutoff built into the fridge to protect it from draining your automotive battery. The yeti operates at a slightly lower voltage than your typical cranking battery but still has a lot of life left in it so the way it's working right now is the ARB fridge my kick off when the battery still has about 40% of life in it
The way it stands right now with only using about 60% of the yetis capacity we're looking at the ARB running for about 12 hours without a charge. If you put on a solar panel it will extend that. The gentleman I spoke to said that if you paired it up with a hundred watt solar panel that it would completely offset any use of the fridge and would not require any charging from an outside Source at all.

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

The way it stands right now with only using about 60% of the yetis capacity we're looking at the ARB running for about 12 hours without a charge. If you put on a solar panel it will extend that. The gentleman I spoke to said that if you paired it up with a hundred watt solar panel that it would completely offset any use of the fridge and would not require any charging from an outside Source at all.
coming up in November, Yeti is addressing this issue and going to be offering a adapter that the 12 volt cable plugs into which will maintain the voltage at a higher level to keep the refrigerator from tripping which will allow the fridge to utilize the full 100% capacity of the Yeti.

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

coming up in November, Yeti is addressing this issue and going to be offering a adapter that the 12 volt cable plugs into which will maintain the voltage at a higher level to keep the refrigerator from tripping which will allow the fridge to utilize the full 100% capacity of the Yeti.
I'm going to go this route because a deep cycle lithium battery has more amp hours typically than your ranking similar dimensioned dual battery system. this lithium battery only weighs around 16 lb compared to 30 to 40 pounds or more with a deep cycle and Valium I get a faster charged with the alternator on the vehicle, some deep Cycles are sensitive to the rate of charge so their life cycle can be shortened by excessive rapid charging. I'll tell you how it goes as I use it.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Ok @Cottonwoody. First of all... the Yeti 400 lithium is NOT a 400AH battery, it’s a 39.6AH battery. Second, I never said it couldn’t run a fridge. I said that you’d have to use the less efficient inverter. I physically spoke with GZ after reading reviews of people complaining about not being able to power their 12v fridge.

Reactions: John~SWNM

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ok @Cottonwoody. First of all... the Yeti 400 lithium is NOT a 400AH battery, it’s a 39.6AH battery. Second, I never said it couldn’t run a fridge. I said that you’d have to use the less efficient inverter. I physically spoke with GZ after reading reviews of people complaining about not being able to power their 12v fridge.
It looks like I am crossing up amp hours with watt hours, my error.