Does a good 4WD vehicle have to be expensive?

• HTML tutorial

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
There is nothing wrong with being prepared in my book. Everyone is a prepper on one level or another.

It is just being a responsible human being IMHO.

Things like saving, investing, acquiring life skills like working on your own vehicles, life insurance, education, growing your own food, etc are just the beginning. It both increases your quality of life and increases the resiliency of you and your loved ones.

That is a good thing... though it does contradict what HollyWood makes it out to be.

That being said... I need to upgrade my spare tire as well! Lol It is the right size but it is a thin walled street tire.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

There is nothing wrong with being prepared in my book. Everyone is a prepper on one level or another.

It is just being a responsible human being IMHO.

Things like saving, investing, acquiring life skills like working on your own vehicles, life insurance, education, growing your own food, etc are just the beginning. It both increases your quality of life and increases the resiliency of you and your loved ones.

That is a good thing... though it does contradict what HollyWood makes it out to be.

That being said... I need to upgrade my spare tire as well! Lol It is the right size but it is a thin walled street tire.
Fully agree with everything you said...except for the spare tire - mine matches! LOL

It stymies me just how much people have become so un self reliant.

Reactions: great08

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Fully agree with everything you said...except for the spare tire - mine matches! LOL

It stymies me just how much people have become so un self reliant.
No kidding.

I thought it was bad when I found people who didn't know how to change their own tire. Now I am watching a generation grow up that doesn't even want to learn how to drive.

Mindboggling.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

No kidding.

I thought it was bad when I found people who didn't know how to change their own tire. Now I am watching a generation grow up that doesn't even want to learn how to drive.

Mindboggling.
Some commercials even make it seem "cool" not to know how to do it or even know what a tool is - just use your phone, call your parents, and someone else deal with it.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

That's craziness. I'm starting my kids young on self reliance stuff. I took my 8 year old to BC overland rally last year and she's coming again this year. She had a blast and her favorite class was winchless vehicle recovery.

I'm not having my kids not know how to change a tire. Won't stand for that nonsense!

Tim nash

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mantorville, MN, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nash
Member #

No kidding.

Mindboggling.
I just don’t get it, I have to drive I don’t care what it is I’m born to explore ha I need to be out and doing things like working on my rig just being better prepared and find it ridiculous when I see kids glued to iPads and sitting inside. Roll them in the dirt it’s good for them lol

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I just don’t get it, I have to drive I don’t care what it is I’m born to explore ha I need to be out and doing things like working on my rig just being better prepared and find it ridiculous when I see kids glued to iPads and sitting inside. Roll them in the dirt it’s good for them lol
I just used my google fu' and found this interesting vid from a dermatologist from the Mayo Clinic. Turns out that a little dirt IS good for the little ones! lol

HillBry1979

Rank 0

Traveler I

We're starting to do Dave Ramsey as well. Wish I had read his book when I was young and single lol. In a sense, I was already doing what he advocates, and then I met my future wife and went off the rails a bit lol But I digress. All of this is the reason I'm thinking/planning for the eventuality of the CR-V's death now. I anticipate it lasting many more years, however if I'm planning now for what rig I want, I can be ready when the time comes. I may even end up importing a 79 series land cruiser from Europe. We'll see.
Awesome to hear about another DR fan. We've been following for a few years now and have led two FPU's.
I just bought a $3,400 'burb in lieu of a much newer [and much more expensive] yukon xl. It so happens Dave takes up residence in the back of your mind and makes you think twice about expensive crap you don't need!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Awesome to hear about another DR fan. We've been following for a few years now and have led two FPU's.
I just bought a $3,400 'burb in lieu of a much newer [and much more expensive] yukon xl. It so happens Dave takes up residence in the back of your mind and makes you think twice about expensive crap you don't need!
That is a very nice looking Suburban! Congrats. Those things can last a long time if you take care of them. My grandfather used to sell his and get a new one every time they hit the 300k to 350k mile range. He was super anal about maintenance though. So they looked and ran like new when he sold them.

Definitely better bang for the buck going used. And... when you dent it out on the trail you won't feel like crying. lol

For the money saved... you could drop in several new engines and transmissions.

I have not taken a Financial Peace University class yet. I need to look into taking one of those.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Suzuki Samurais are insanely expensive here. Like $8000+ for a barely decent one. I've seen guys asking 10k+ for them! Having said that, the point is very true. My rig is a Honda CR-V that was $1800 on craigslist.
Looks like im loading a trailer full of Samurais and heading North!!!!!

Reactions: Tim nash and Arailt