RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Seems during these winter doldrums, every time I go out into the garage, I find something to modify on my camping trailer or my truck. A modification here, a tweek there, maybe a little paint, or a new dodad........Com'on Springtime!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Used to.

This winter I've been at war with squirrels. So far I'm winning, but they're like Juarez mexico smugglers. One of my upstairs window frames took some friendly fire. Might have to resort to the bucket of death.

Reactions: Wile_Coyote

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I got it real bad...Not a day goes by that I dont do something to my truck. (or many somethngs)
Modifying my rig is my form of OCD.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I took out about 50 of those furry rats last year.

I have a great system worked out. The squirrels started it. They made an enemy of Varmint #4 (the dog). They would sit just out of reach in a tree next to the deck and taunt him. Well, that has cost them. Varmint #4 barks to alert me to the presence of the enemy, I come out with the magic stick and I make it rain squirrel. Varmint #4 gets the pleasure of finishing off whatever is left of that which reaches the ground. This only motivates him to be more diligent in his role in this endeavor. And me? I get the 130+ lbs of walnuts that the squirrels were stealing. And the world is a better place.

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Yep. Every.Single.Weekend.

This past weekend was replacing my winch line, and repacking my recovery gear, installing a power interrupt solenoid for my winch, and rearranging the beer in my Arctic fridge so the cans don't rattle while driving. :tongueout:

What's the saying... "the worst day tinkering on my Jeep, is still better than the best day working"?! or maybe is was something about fishing...

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Yes. I've even had weekends where I had nothing to do to the truck and found myself in the garage staring at it thinking of something to do. Happened yesterday, so I re spooled my surf poles instead.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Winter is always build time. Just dont let it consume you and take away from life. In 2010 after years working long hours at a race shop i realized it was consuming me both mentally and physically and i had no time for my wife or to work on my own projects anymore. I decided to retire really early and become a farmer/rancher. Glad i did because i have way more time for the things i love and more money too.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Yep, guilty here. Pretty much everything I own - rigs, trailers, motorcycle, boat, guns.… I generally do one major project per winter. To quote the wife - "you can't leave anything alone"

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Seems during these winter doldrums, every time I go out into the garage, I find something to modify on my camping trailer or my truck. A modification here, a tweek there, maybe a little paint, or a new dodad........Com'on Springtime!
Soooo, its a bad thing?
Sigh.
I was wondering why i'm always broke.

You guys think squirrels can be bad, try raccoons. Squirrels are annoying, Raccoons are devious.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Soooo, its a bad thing?
Sigh.
I was wondering why i'm always broke.

You guys think squirrels can be bad, try raccoons. Squirrels are annoying, Raccoons are devious.
Never had a problem with a coon in the engine bay, ive had my barn cats get in there when cold but they just leave footprints and hair, had squirrles and rats before eat wiring back when i lived in the city and recently a family of yellowjackets have tried to make a home. My main problem with coons opossums and coyotes is eating my chickens or maiming the barn cats

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I wish it was just a winter affliction.

I hate when it wakes me at 3am with,,,,, "wouldn't this be cool".

Reactions: TexasGMG

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Was referring more to "non" vehicle things. At my girlfriends house in Missouri, the raccoons unlatch, open, unscrew whatever they want into. I swear one of them has a lock pick set. Then they sit on the porch rail and taunt you.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I hate when it wakes me at 3am with,,,,, "wouldn't this be cool".
For me, it happens in the shower....Easily my best laid plans for Farkling come to me in the shower!

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Never had a problem with a coon in the engine bay, ive had my barn cats get in there when cold but they just leave footprints and hair, had squirrles and rats before eat wiring back when i lived in the city and recently a family of yellowjackets have tried to make a home. My main problem with coons opossums and coyotes is eating my chickens or maiming the barn cats
Y'know those little air freshener trees? Stock up on vanilla scented. Squirrels/rats don't like 'em. They've left our rigs alone since we found this out.

Edit: yes, I hang them in the engine bay, and put the "used" ones in my glovebox.