Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It is a fun tool I designed my 4runner kitchen with it. Digital mock-up. When through many design changes before cutting into the plywood.
I did the same when designing my sleep system in my Dodge Ram. It really saved time and money by seeing the virtual walkthrough of the whole system...I only had to make minor adjustments to the final product because I found my initial design allowed my bed to be too high up to comfortably sleep.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Sketchup let's me swing the arms around. The top view shows the rotational centers I used. I kept moving them until it all worked. They can swing counter clockwise to the stow position without hitting each other. Tricky part was that arm #3 needed to swing past arm #4. That's why arm #4 has a unique mount allowing #3 to pass by the joint.

I wanted coverage on the left side of the truck. My RTT deploys to cover the right/passenger side. Arm#4 swims to go across the back of the truck providing coverage for the kitchen/cook area.
Steve, did you ever get this canopy built for your rig ?

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Not yet, it is first this scheduled for 2021.
Jim tried to weld the 3/4” conduit without success.
we are planning on changing to 3/4 x 3/4 square tube.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have my popup canopy but I think I'll be getting me one of those Slumberjacks, will be nice to have something smaller and more compact that I can have cover the back of my truck, pretty good size too, bigger than my 10'x10' popup!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Bought a camping tarp and two retractable tent poles. Rigged one end of the tarps to my roof rack with carabiners. All in all I spent around $75 as I had also bought a set of durable tent stakes.
I'm currently working on something like this for the back of my truck. I bought a 6' x 8' canvas tarp from Tractor Supply and two telescoping canopy poles off Amazon. Now I just need to widen my truck rack a bit to 6' so I can mount the canvas tightly without it sagging.

Reactions: Sebt1890

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not yet, it is first this scheduled for 2021.
Jim tried to weld the 3/4” conduit without success.
we are planning on changing to 3/4 x 3/4 square tube.
I have brazed (brass rod with acid dip or pre filled brass) 3/4 conduit very nicely and it held up to a lot of abuse that never cracked. I did it to the wheel wells on a stock car. Hope this will help, I like torch welding a lot.

Reactions: syncro and M Rose

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have my popup canopy but I think I'll be getting me one of those Slumberjacks, will be nice to have something smaller and more compact that I can have cover the back of my truck, pretty good size too, bigger than my 10'x10' popup!
Slumber jack just sent me an email yesterday telling me they had them in stock again with sides $199.00. They said to hurry if I wanted one. No money right now, I hope they have them still next month.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

All I have ever used were big blue tarps and rope. Sometimes tied to the roof rack of my big Blazer, sometimes just tied to trees. Theres no question I might have to rethink that if I wanted to set up a desert camp and run day riding trips, but I havent been out to a desert yet.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
All I have ever used were big blue tarps and rope. Sometimes tied to the roof rack of my big Blazer, sometimes just tied to trees. Theres no question I might have to rethink that if I wanted to set up a desert camp and run day riding trips, but I havent been out to a desert yet.
SlumnberJack has a good set up with one pole an an rig that is very good setup for the desert. I think it's a $120 set up. Check out the web site posted in post #68 on this page. You cant get enough shade out here in the desert SW.

Reactions: syncro

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

A blue tarp and a few pools works great. I have a full swapmeet awning that I use when I post up for a week or 2. If I am driving most days its thr blue tarp
I use beach umbrellas for shade also.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Slumber jack just sent me an email yesterday telling me they had them in stock again with sides $199.00. They said to hurry if I wanted one. No money right now, I hope they have them still next month.

I'm always looking for ways to save money so since I already have a 10' x 10' popup canopy I decided to devise my own canopy to cover the back area of my truck so I can keep my fridge and homemade solar generator dry in the event of rain. I picked up a 6' x 8' canvas canopy from Tractor Supply for $35 and then bought two telescoping tarp poles off Amazon, should be all I need to keep things at that back of my truck dry for less than $80! I'll post up a pic once I get it setup the first time!

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
Was looking at utilizing a wall tent for a while. Mostly for the snow & cold in the winter. Back burner for now. What I am looking at now is to make a tarp & frame off the back of the camper shell. ARE with the double door that swings up providing full access to the back of the camper/bed. I already have a stand-alone screened canopy. Mandatory when the files & mosquitos are out in force. The goal will be to create an alcove to span from the bed to the canopy the will keep things dry and stand up to any overnight snowfall. The frame will allow for adding "walls" should that be beneficial.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm always looking for ways to save money so since I already have a 10' x 10' popup canopy I decided to devise my own canopy to cover the back area of my truck so I can keep my fridge and homemade solar generator dry in the event of rain. I picked up a 6' x 8' canvas canopy from Tractor Supply for $35 and then bought two telescoping tarp poles off Amazon, should be all I need to keep things at that back of my truck dry for less than $80! I'll post up a pic once I get it setup the first time!

I like DIY myself, but I cant do much physically, so I'm leaning on manufactured products a lot these days.
The slumberjack without the side panels is only $120 and comes with all the poles and rope tie downs. I'm glad you found an economical way to DIY your canopy.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Was looking at utilizing a wall tent for a while. Mostly for the snow & cold in the winter. Back burner for now. What I am looking at now is to make a tarp & frame off the back of the camper shell. ARE with the double door that swings up providing full access to the back of the camper/bed. I already have a stand-alone screened canopy. Mandatory when the files & mosquitos are out in force. The goal will be to create an alcove to span from the bed to the canopy the will keep things dry and stand up to any overnight snowfall. The frame will allow for adding "walls" should that be beneficial.
If I'm getting the picture correct it seems like all you need is some paracord tied to each side of the camper that is stretched out to each side of your free standing canopy. Then throw a rectangular tarp across the top that comes down each side of the paracords and staked down to form a tunnel. Does that make since ?

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I just bought those same poles. Haven’t had a chance to set them up yet though. I’ll get some pics of my new modified awning this weekend.