Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
For what it's worth, I got some paint roller poles. They collapse to 4 feet, and extend to 8. (There are various sizes to suit your needs) I bought cheap paint rollers ( 3 Inch roller, about $1.50 each) and just cut and smoothed the shaft just at the bend. (I have pictures if anyone wants to see.) These will fit nicely into tarp grommets and your can put a loop of a guy rope on top. Hope this is useful.
Cleaver option ! Thanks, this is OB for you guys.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Thinking of adding a DIY awning to the basecamp arsenal for the times when we either want some shade or expect rain. I’m thinking a cheap tarp from a Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight would suffice for the few times we actually need one, some rope and bungies and stakes. What size tarp do you use and are there standalone poles / pole systems I should consider?

For my purposes I do not expect to attach to the vehicle so thinking trees, stakes and/or poles.
I did have one before. It works but left something to be desired. It was cheap and versatile, but a pain at the same time. I ended up getting an ARB this year and haven't looked back.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
For what it's worth, I got some paint roller poles. They collapse to 4 feet, and extend to 8. (There are various sizes to suit your needs) I bought cheap paint rollers ( 3 Inch roller, about $1.50 each) and just cut and smoothed the shaft just at the bend. (I have pictures if anyone wants to see.) These will fit nicely into tarp grommets and your can put a loop of a guy rope on top. Hope this is useful.
Painters Poles FTW. 10X15 cheap tarp, Painters Poles, a few carabineers to attach to my rack and Paracord for guy wires. $55.00 I think.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I use a slumberjack now that I got off Amazon, it works well. A few years back I was camping with my family and the rain would not stop. Went to the store and got the biggest tarp I could find. Can't remember but it was huge, maybe 20x30. Spread it over the whole campsite and used a small fallen tree from the woods with a pizza box on the end to protect the tarp for the main center pole. It was about 14 feet high. We were able to have a fire going the whole weekend with non stop rain under that setup and had a blast. We had the only fire in the entire campground and it was a lot of fun watching the rain by the fire, nice and dry.

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Hey,

I recently DIY'd something like thqt myself, use my 3x3 DD hammocks clight weight camping tarp and a DD hammock magic carpet.
tied it over the car to the wheels and used 2 telescopic camping poles (got these at the outdoor shop)..

Works really good and is pretty quick to setup once you get the hang of it. + really lightweight and compact since the tarp fits perfect in an 8 liter drybag and you can compress it really small.
Setups are endless, just use your creativity, no trees needed but if there are it only makes much more possible! Some paracord with some knot skills and you are set ;)

Enjoy :) IMG-20190826-WA0005.jpegIMG-20190826-WA0019.jpegIMG-20190826-WA0018.jpegIMG-20190826-WA0006.jpeg

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Here’s my setup. I screwed eye bolts into the camper, and use carabiners to attach it. For the poles, I use my load lock bars, and some paracord as guy lines. I can go off either side, or off the back. Counting the poles, The whole thing was less than $60.View attachment 114258
I love your Toyota pickup. Simple and clean. So cool...

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
What are other options, other than stakes in the ground for anchoring? I sometimes find myself setup on old lots that are just gravel covered parking lots. Occasionally with out trees for shade. I use a 10x10 pop up canopy that works but is a bit more bulky than i prefer. A tarp and tent poles seems like a good option but i am curious as to what kind of anchoring options are people using when stakes in the ground are not likely to work.

Reactions: Laurensvh

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

What are other options, other than stakes in the ground for anchoring? I sometimes find myself setup on old lots that are just gravel covered parking lots. Occasionally with out trees for shade. I use a 10x10 pop up canopy that works but is a bit more bulky than i prefer. A tarp and tent poles seems like a good option but i am curious as to what kind of anchoring options are people using when stakes in the ground are not likely to work.

That's pretty difficult, you can get stakes suited for very hard soil (quite expensive ones) and hammer those in.. Only other way in my opinion seems to use big rocks you can find lying around (i've used this when hiking and camping in mountains with only open spot on granite rock surface) .. But thats hard work :)

Reactions: max.grun

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
That's pretty difficult, you can get stakes suited for very hard soil (quite expensive ones) and hammer those in.. Only other way in my opinion seems to use big rocks you can find lying around (i've used this when hiking and camping in mountains with only open spot on granite rock surface) .. But thats hard work :)
I was thinking maybe if i could find an old weight set at a garage sale and pick up some old 25 pound plates. But then i would be carrying a bunch of barbell plates in the back of my jeep.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Use your fire wood, jerry can, cooler, spare tire, or some sort of empty bag to fill with whatever you find.

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

I was thinking maybe if i could find an old weight set at a garage sale and pick up some old 25 pound plates. But then i would be carrying a bunch of barbell plates in the back of my jeep.
Indeed; carrying that much extra weight is not interesting. Because of space but also for fuel economy, like said in comment #32 quote : "Use your fire wood, jerry can, cooler, spare tire, or some sort of empty bag to fill with whatever you find. " <-- that in combo with some nail like heavy duty spikes and stuff that u find aroun will do. Using firewood and stuff is oke if there is very low wind. A tarp can put a lot of force on the ropes and anker points so keep that in mind. If wind picks under it it can make a blok of firewood go airborne!...
I think you will be fine with a heavy duty nail stake on gravel. It could feel loose in the grond and then just place some extra weight like a block of wood or rock or anything on top of the stake. Buy enough stakes cause u mind go damage them rather quick in hard packed surfaces.. + in heavy winds you just use extra tie down points to spread the stress wind puts on everything.

Did the same on this hiking trip in Norway (Trolltunga), spike hammered in the a crack in the granite and then a granite block on top of the stake (or the rope just around a heavy block).
Head some heavy wind that night and no problems at all.

(I know its not the same with a tent cause a tarp catches much more wind..)

:)

62523389_10219775681045293_8282961141777301504_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I like the popup canopy's, you can pick them up pretty cheap on sale and easy to move where you need them to be. No complicated rope tying either! Of course Harbor Freight sells one pretty cheap without a sale!

Search Results For "popup" canopy
They also sell an enclosure for them as well, screen or solid sides !!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Is this a complete package with tarp, poles and screen room ?
Yes, all poles, pegs, rope you need to setup. Well made in USA, they run sales time to time and you can save $50 +/-.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes, all poles, pegs, rope you need to setup. Well made in USA, they run sales time to time and you can save $50 +/-.

This is one GOOD idea IMO ! Thank you

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey,

I recently DIY'd something like thqt myself, use my 3x3 DD hammocks clight weight camping tarp and a DD hammock magic carpet.
tied it over the car to the wheels and used 2 telescopic camping poles (got these at the outdoor shop)..

Works really good and is pretty quick to setup once you get the hang of it. + really lightweight and compact since the tarp fits perfect in an 8 liter drybag and you can compress it really small.
Setups are endless, just use your creativity, no trees needed but if there are it only makes much more possible! Some paracord with some knot skills and you are set ;)

Enjoy :) View attachment 115876View attachment 115877View attachment 115878View attachment 115879
Nice set up. can you give more info on the tarp and poles (name and brand) . What is 3x3 DD Hammock ? Can the items be bought in the USA ?
Is it similar to Slumberjacks products ? It looks like a slumberjack awning. Real nice place you have, I'm an architectual nut and like seeing architecture from other countries. Your lawn is beautifully kept !

Laurensvh

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Beerse, België
First Name
Laurens
Last Name
Hemeldonck
Member #

Nice set up. can you give more info on the tarp and poles (name and brand) . What is 3x3 DD Hammock ? Can the items be bought in the USA ?
Is it similar to Slumberjacks products ? It looks like a slumberjack awning. Real nice place you have, I'm an architectual nut and like seeing architecture from other countries. Your lawn is beautifully kept !
Hi!

DD Hammocks is the brand of the tarp. 3x3 means 3 by 3 meters, I think u can get them in the US Products . The poles are telescopic twist locking system I bought at the local camping store so nothing special, many different brands. For cordage I use 550 paracord.

The architecture in Belgium is pretty decent ;), and so is the eye for detail! If u like to see more pm me. The grass was still pretty fresh laid a couple months before the picture . But it is still very nice and green! Thanks!

If you like to know or see more let me know.
Happy to help!