wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Thinking of adding a DIY awning to the basecamp arsenal for the times when we either want some shade or expect rain. I’m thinking a cheap tarp from a Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight would suffice for the few times we actually need one, some rope and bungies and stakes. What size tarp do you use and are there standalone poles / pole systems I should consider?

For my purposes I do not expect to attach to the vehicle so thinking trees, stakes and/or poles.

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

We use an old rain fly and pole from a retired tent stretch a paracord ridge line a couple stakes pole in the middle to help with rain runoff works well and packs smallEAC7659A-B45C-4A33-9FF5-889E7CCAEF32.jpeg

MDBIGHORN

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Frederick, MD, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I got one from Wal-Mart it was 35 bucks came with two tent poles and stakes workes great but I can't leave well enough alone so I got two more set's of tent poles so I could raise the side's and have a smaller footprint with the line's. It's nice to have packs down small and it cost about 60 total and you have a plethora of ways to put it up.20190713_180639_HDR.jpg20190810_061517.jpg

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have a 10 X 10 or a 10 X 20 that I use both attached to the truck and free standing. sometime I'll set up the 10 X 20 as a 10 X 10 with a sidewall. 8 tent pools and cordage with the 12" nail from a hardware store. I use them when I am moving light.
Learn the Tautline knot and a Clove hitch knot.

Sometimes I will set it up as a lean to into the wind. Stake out the windward side.
Get the aluminum adjustable polls the steel will rust.
Poly ropes don't stretch as nylon when wet, The nylon tends be stronger by size, unless you go to a supercoard.
YMMV

I do have a 14 X 14 swapmeet awning if there will be a basecamp.

Reactions: cgranier

Kokopelli

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sulphur, OK
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Herrmann
Member #

I use a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12, it's lightweight, strong and a nice size. One side to the jeep roof rack and the other supported with steel Stansport Telescoping tent poles. Have bent/buckled alum ones in windy and hard rain conditions. Works for me :grinning:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I have a 10 X 10 or a 10 X 20 that I use both attached to the truck and free standing. sometime I'll set up the 10 X 20 as a 10 X 10 with a sidewall. 8 tent pools and cordage with the 12" nail from a hardware store. I use them when I am moving light.
Learn the Tautline knot and a Clove hitch knot.

Sometimes I will set it up as a lean to into the wind. Stake out the windward side.
Get the aluminum adjustable polls the steel will rust.
Poly ropes don't stretch as nylon when wet, The nylon tends be stronger by size, unless you go to a supercoard.
YMMV

I do have a 14 X 14 swapmeet awning if there will be a basecamp.

What specific tent poles are you using? I would need to buy some. The tent poles from my tent are needed for the tent, and they are too flimsy to stand upright anyway.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

The polls are 20 plus years old, I have no idea. just Google up awing or tent polls. Make sure they are adjustable.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I run a Tactical Awning for Random Purposes.

It is 8'x9' I believe... I took a 10' length of conduit and cut it into 3 fairly equal sections with connectors between each section. They are held together with set screws but I may look at something with a handle so that it doesn't require any tools. I put eye bolts in the conduit that correspond to the eyelets in the tarp and used carabiners to attach the tarp to the conduit. This allows some movement so the sections can be separated. Poles were a bit expensive but they are nice, collapsible, have stud on top to go through the eyelets and the ground end is pointed so that it can stick into the ground well...they are a little long for my need so they are deployed at an angle as shown in the photo until I can get around to taking one of the sections out. 550 cord and ground stakes and everything rolls up in a nice package about the size of a moderate sized tent. . It currently attaches to the Jeep using a couple QuickFist on the "roof rack" but will changing that soon for something a bit more secure.
The first time I ever used it was to change the clutch slave cylinder (internal, have to drop transmission) in the rain about 2 days before going on the trip in the picture below.
As cool as one of those batwing awnings would be, this fits my need and was within my budget.

Camp2019i.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
What specific tent poles are you using? I would need to buy some. The tent poles from my tent are needed for the tent, and they are too flimsy to stand upright anyway.
I sent you a web site that showe you where you can find awning and poles. Did you open it to see what I sent ?

PatricL

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Copper Springs Drive, Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Patric
Last Name
Lassiter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7TJA
Does this count? My 72 bluebird on the playa in the Black Rock desert. You really can overland in anything. :grinning:

The poles are army surplus aluminum with a plastic foot at the top. The tarp is from a greenhouse supply. It is 90% shade and made out of woven mylar.

BBTarp.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Does this count? My 72 bluebird on the playa in the Black Rock desert. You really can overland in anything. :grinning:

The poles are army surplus aluminum with a plastic foot at the top. The tarp is from a greenhouse supply. It is 90% shade and made out of woven mylar.

View attachment 113729
What in the world did that cover cost, it's huge !

PatricL

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Patric
Last Name
Lassiter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7TJA
What in the world did that cover cost, it's huge !
I can't remember the exact size but it is around 30x40 or so. I think it was in the high $200's We were at Burning Man for 2 weeks and it was worth it. You could sleep until about 10 AM before it started getting hot inside. I think it is called Aluminet. I just checked a green house supply and it says $750! I remember there being a large price difference and had to search around to find a good supplier.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I can't remember the exact size but it is around 30x40 or so. I think it was in the high $200's We were at Burning Man for 2 weeks and it was worth it. You could sleep until about 10 AM before it started getting hot inside. I think it is called Aluminet. I just checked a green house supply and it says $750! I remember there being a large price difference and had to search around to find a good supplier.
Thank you, when we had a big fire here back in 2014, the fire department guys set up canopies like yours. I asked back then what they cost and all I got was a loud "A LOT". Anyway for $750 I think I can do without and settle for the $100 car canopy I have been eye balling. Either that or a Gazelle T5 for under $200. You got yourself a good deal @ $200 bucks !!

PatricL

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Patric
Last Name
Lassiter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7TJA
Thank you, when we had a big fire here back in 2014, the fire department guys set up canopies like yours. I asked back then what they cost and all I got was a loud "A LOT". Anyway for $750 I think I can do without and settle for the $100 car canopy I have been eye balling. Either that or a Gazelle T5 for under $200. You got yourself a good deal @ $200 bucks !!
Downside, this is for shade only. Rain goes right through it. Upside is that mylar crap is strong as hell and lets wind through it somewhat and can withstand some strong winds. Plus you would not need anywhere near this size of a tarp for any normal outings with a car/truck. Search for aluminet shade cloth on Amazon and you can get normal sized stuff pretty cheap.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Downside, this is for shade only. Rain goes right through it. Upside is that mylar crap is strong as hell and lets wind through it somewhat and can withstand some strong winds. Plus you would not need anywhere near this size of a tarp for any normal outings with a car/truck. Search for aluminet shade cloth on Amazon and you can get normal sized stuff pretty cheap.
Thank you, I like the material and the breathability of it. I will check Amazon.

Micheal369

Rank III
Launch Member

Builder I

Lebanon, TN, USA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRUN860
For what it's worth, I got some paint roller poles. They collapse to 4 feet, and extend to 8. (There are various sizes to suit your needs) I bought cheap paint rollers ( 3 Inch roller, about $1.50 each) and just cut and smoothed the shaft just at the bend. (I have pictures if anyone wants to see.) These will fit nicely into tarp grommets and your can put a loop of a guy rope on top. Hope this is useful.