Do you keep your jerry cans on your rig all of the time or just when wheeling?

• HTML tutorial

vbdave26

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Chesapeake, VA
First Name
dave
Last Name
renfro
Member #

I recently added the bajarack jerry can holder to my rack with two Scepter fuel cans. I realize it is always nice to have extra fuel...especially driving my pig of a LR. However, I wondered if most folks keep fuel on vehicle at all times or just when on necessary trips?

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Just on trips.
I'm less concerned about someone syphoning the gas than stealing or damaging my expensive rotopax cans.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Mine stay in the house, even on certain trips where I know getting gas won't be an issue. They sure look cool up on the roof, but height restrictions are another big reason they don't stay up there (my truck is a daily driver). The last thing a vehicle with the aerodynamics of brick needs is another brick on top of it.

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

Mine stays on all the time. Always locked and secured. Usually keep it full and rotate the gas into my tank once a month. I have another vehicle but driving the bronco is more fun so it's become my dd so i like carrying gas for those impromptu trips. Even on trips that I know they'll be plenty of gas stations I fill it up the day of the trip just for piece of mind.

Reactions: Jorrie

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Mine are rear bumper mounted. Typically only carrying them when I need them on a trip, and even if I don't think I'll need them.

More often than not, I've helped somebody else out needing fuel.

The ride is a little bit better without them back there, and I don't like the idea of them on the back with a lot of town driving and the chance of getting rear ended. [emoji45]

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

More often than not, I've helped somebody else out needing fuel.
This is another reason I have extra fuel. I've been able to help out quite a few people with just a gallon or so to get them going again and off to a fuel station and it literally only cost me the price of a gallon of gas. In today's world, it's nice to be a "good neighbor" and what goes around, comes around.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I keep a red MFC up on the left of the roof and a blue MWC on the right, and drive around making police car noises when bored. :)
In all honesty, I only take the extra fuel cans when I'm out exploring or on a longer adventure.

Jcast327

Rank 0

Contributor I

I was gifted a bunch of gas cans from a friend so I sprayed a 1 gallon and a 2 gallon with spray on bedliner and carry a little gas just in case, if it gets stolen or siphon im only losing $5, sometimes i just carry it empty because gas cans can be expensive and I have plenty of them and find plenty of them at flea markets. Anyone in Los Angeles Area want to buy a gas can?

Attachments

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

With a Jeep that averages 15mpg or less, I keep one 5 gallon can with me at all times and regularly rotate the fuel into my tank.
This is what I used to do on my Samurai, given its maximum 200-mile range in ideal conditions. It also helped that 5gal was half the capacity of the tank! I always fill my vehicles up a half a tank, so this just allowed me to dump in the fuel can then refill the can at the pump. Basically, the Zombie Survivalist in me knew Id have at least a 150-175 mile range, without having to fill up the tank every day.

It also helps to have a non-EPA filler neck so you don't have to hold the can for 12 minutes to actually empty it into the tank...

But, now I wouldn't bother with this for sure!

Last edited:

cosmoblu

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Olive Branch, MS
Member #

Is there any issues at all with having cans that are not full? Not sure if the sloshing around is any impact on the relative safety? Also what about the summer time? Are there additional concerns for the heat in some areas that the cans are exposed to?

It would seem that a good policy for safety and fresh fuel, may be to fill the cans prior to a trip and upon the return empty the remaining fuel back into the tank.

Also, is there an advantage or disadvantage to keeping the fuel, and the weight on the back of the rig while off road, versus moving that weight into the tank as soon as there is space?

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Is there any issues at all with having cans that are not full? Not sure if the sloshing around is any impact on the relative safety? Also what about the summer time? Are there additional concerns for the heat in some areas that the cans are exposed to?

It would seem that a good policy for safety and fresh fuel, may be to fill the cans prior to a trip and upon the return empty the remaining fuel back into the tank.

Also, is there an advantage or disadvantage to keeping the fuel, and the weight on the back of the rig while off road, versus moving that weight into the tank as soon as there is space?
Technically, the sloshing will make the fuel evaporate faster. This could lead to eventual reduced fuel quality (over a period much longer than you should leave the gas in there, though).

Indeed, I would definitely rotate the fuel through the tank once its purpose as an external source was fulfilled.

And yes, unless you need the fuel for extra equipment or perhaps to help other stranded vehicles, I would put it in the tank before aggressively offroading, once there is space. The factory fuel tank will distribute that weight much lower and more centered between the axles, and will likely be more protected than a jerry can on the back. Yes, a rotopax tightly secured to a high-end rear bumper is probably safer from puncture than a, for example, thin and unarmored factory fuel tank when traversing jagged rocks. But, if you puncture your gas tank, an extra 2-4 gallons of gas on the back of your vehicle isn't going to do a lick of good anyways, heh.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I've currently been carrying my 2 jerry cans at all times since fitting the carrier. theyre held snugly in place so don't rattle therefore causing wear and tear. theyre Also locked into the carrier which prevents them being stolen but the design also stops them being opened and the fuel syphoned out.