Do you keep your jerry cans on your rig all of the time or just when wheeling?

• HTML tutorial

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

it' funny reading all the moans about the cost of fuel and how the mileage per gallon is so bad. you guys across the pond really need to try the cost of fuel on the decent side of the pond (UK) and then see if you still want to moan

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Only on trips, more worried about someone taking the RotoPax when around town.

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I finally installed mine yesterday and I will only keep them on when going on trips. I can't afford to keep replacing them after people steal them. I am going to try some creative ways to lock them on though.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I finally installed mine yesterday and I will only keep them on when going on trips. I can't afford to keep replacing them after people steal them. I am going to try some creative ways to lock them on though.
You can get locking mounts. Might as well make them work for it.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I have rotopax in a mount on my roof rack. If they’re not on the there, the mount makes a bunch of noise. So they stay on there. I have no concerns about them being stolen when I’m at home or work but even though there locked, I’m always a little surprised that they are still there when I’m leaving a hotel in the morning.

Last edited:

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I have MORryde fender mounts for #7. They are quick to put on and take off, but in the summer I keep a can mounted usually.
5B56F8CA-AFEF-4698-A8BE-F568A746F345.jpeg

I also built can carriers for The Burro. These will stay on permanently.D6EC52BE-9EDF-4048-9B52-8441F89575E9.jpeg

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I only carry mine on trips (both off and on road). I have a heavy duty cable w/ padlock to secure them; it's actually the perfect length to hold them completely snug in the carrier, though I throw on a couple rubber straps as well to further limit any potential rattling on the trail. The cable and padlock could probably be defeated with relative ease, but there's only so much worrying I can do...

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
I considered using the locking rotopax mounts but I've read a lot of negative stuff about them. I wonder if someone could still twist them loose if they tried hard enough and used whatever tools necessary.

I'm thinking of different methods of locking them. The obvious is a cable which I already own but trying to come up with something that couldn't be cut as easy. If I figure something out I'll post it. I just installed them a few days ago so I haven't messed with it too much yet.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I considered using the locking rotopax mounts but I've read a lot of negative stuff about them. I wonder if someone could still twist them loose if they tried hard enough and used whatever tools necessary.

I'm thinking of different methods of locking them. The obvious is a cable which I already own but trying to come up with something that couldn't be cut as easy. If I figure something out I'll post it. I just installed them a few days ago so I haven't messed with it too much yet.
If someone wants them bad enough, they'll get them. My theory is to at least make them work for it / delay them enough that they are out of their comfort zone and closer to a pissed off FJ owner bearing down on them.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Trips only, as the pair are mounted on our trailer. Before we leave home I fill them and several canisters up with non-ethanol gasoline to be used as fuel for our cookstoves. Then if needed I'll empty them into the tank. If not needed I'll bring it back home as non-ethanol gas is really good for lawn mowers and other gardening equipment. The trailer is light to begin with, only 1,000 lbs loaded, so 10 gallons of petro adds less than 20 lbs of tongue weight.
When they were mounted on a backrack, before the trailer, I would empty them asap once off the pavement to reduce the weight on the rear axle.

Untitled.png

Reactions: cdunn334

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
it' funny reading all the moans about the cost of fuel and how the mileage per gallon is so bad. you guys across the pond really need to try the cost of fuel on the decent side of the pond (UK) and then see if you still want to moan
Hey, I started driving when gas was 32 cents or so a gallon and people were complaining about it then. Considering our annual average incomes are 10 times what they were in 1970 we are paying less for gasoline now than we did back then. I used to go up to Canada two or three times a week and gas up there is currently 1.22 per litre. (or 4.61 per gallon). We have it made in the shade here when it comes to petro products and taxes.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I only carry mine on the rare trip where I think I'll need them. Filling the truck from a jerry can is a pain, and I'd rather just top off at the last available gas station.