Do you have a preferred screen size for off road navigation? (vehicle)

• HTML tutorial

Ncat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Corona, CA, USA
First Name
N
Last Name
Cat
Member #

Hi All,

I recently set up an iPad mini 4 with cellular in an Otterbox Defender case. I am using a Dual XGPS 160 and Gaia as well as All Trails for apps. I have a post mount for the iPad and an Xmount for my iPhone 8+ on the windshield. So far I am quite happy with the set up. I have just done a few day runs, but gearing up for a weekend overlanding trip this coming weekend to shake it out.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I work for a display mfg company, we just got in some slick 10" touchscreens. I'm going to build a custom "tablet" with a Raspberry PI /Android. I hope to get it all complete for under $100. I'll post pics once it's done.
-Aaron

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

I just set up my 12” iPad Pro as the screen yesterday. I took it for a short drive but no serious off roaming. I like the screen size so far, but time will tell if something a tad smaller would be better. Losing my backup camera screen sucks. I’ll not be using this setup in daily driver mode.
@Crapitecture, I've got the 12.9" iPad that I'm considering getting a mount for. I am wondering if it may turn out to be too big and heavy. How has the stability been with that RAM mount?

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" (2016) LTE which has an extra phone card in it. Since I have a 1980 Land Rover that has no modern conveniences I simply have the screen in the center that works just right for me and the wife.

IMG_20180624_154159_352.jpg

Crapitecture

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Spokane, WA
Member #

@Crapitecture, I've got the 12.9" iPad that I'm considering getting a mount for. I am wondering if it may turn out to be too big and heavy. How has the stability been with that RAM mount?
I just finished a 1000 mile trip with quite a bit of off-roading. The mount worked fairly well. There was a bit of higher frequency vibration but it wasn’t bad. I preformed the pvc pipe to bend to the dash and I have some foam that it rests on the dash without damaging it. It was great to have for the trip. I was able to add dispersed sites as I came across them.