Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Do you carry spare parts in your rig? If so what do you carry with you? I am interested to see what everyone carries in their rigs. We all carry sort of tools in our rigs, but lately I have started to look at the spares I carry with me. Recently, I have been on this weight shedding kick and analyzing the available space in my rig. One way I save space is by not carrying extra axle shafts with me on hard trails. Instead I carry parts to get out. In the video below is one example of a trail fix I keep with me. It is easier to pack a ready to go unit bearing than an entire axle shaft. What do you think about this idea? Do you want to see more trail parts ideas like this? Show me your parts creations or what you carry with you.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I drive a 30yr old rig so I probably carry more spare parts than the average person.
I carry the basics like belts, hoses, and tune up stuff. In addition things like trans and engine computers, distributor, ignitor, tps, air flow meter, fuel pump, critical relays, timing belt, idler arm, u joint, and a few other knick nacks that would cause the vehicle to be immobilized.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Have to aualify my response. I no longer tour outside North America. If I went to Africa or India I'd likely do it differently.

None, I carry a spare tire but since I've only had 4 flats in 40 years, I almost wonder why. I used to carry the old v-belt but with the reliability of todays serpentinr belt I no longer bother, I just replace it whan they say I should. I' don't even bother with fuses, there is always one I can rob to keep going. As for driveline parts, I've never broken anything. I find maintenance and oil changes which include a full 60 point inspection a better choice than packing parts to change on the trail. I think I developed that attitude while driving truck 200K miles a year. In 10 years, I never got straned driving truck either.

Diligent maintenance is easy in North America and way better than replacing a u-joint at night..... or in a stream..... or. That plus, pick the line least likely to not break something....

The worst line is "Hold my Beer"

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
I am all for the adventure, and like some challenging drives. I even like some technical driving obstacles. However I always remember that I also need my rig to get me back home and to the grocery. All that being said, I do my best to not break things, so other than a few repair kit items (hoses, clamps, and the like) I don’t carry many parts. With some care I avoid needing them out in the wild, and regular maintenance makes sure I catch most things before they become a problem.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I fully agree with regular maintenance. The longer I do this the more particular I have become with maintenance and making sure things are as perfect as possible. We still like to hit some harder obstacles and most of the time we do not travel in groups. So currently we carry just a few parts to help get us off the trail, but I can say that the list of spares I take is becoming very small as the years go on.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Vehicles are different today. My old CJ's, Scout, Willy's you bet your butt I carried parts. Back in the 80's I started building alternator welders to field repair vehicles. We would crack frames, break U-Joints, break axles, fuel pumps, coils.......

I look back on that now and we made a few errors. First and foremost, the vehicles just couldn't handle what we did and most of us didn't follow proper "off-road" maintenance. If you maintain your vehicle using what the factory recommends, your good...as long as your on the street. Once you start going off road everything changes. Things wear faster and others stress where they never would have before. U-Joints stress, driveshafts, axles twist, frame mounts crack. We use to carry spare axles, extra U Joints........

One of my buddies rig. We were on the top end of one of the hammer trails. He broke a rear axle. Backing him onto the flat area, he broke a front. When we tore them down we discovered his other side rear axle had twisted and was cracking. We had torn down his diff six months before and everything was fine. Factory axles.

Today, newer vehicles are stronger, we have a better selection of aftermarket parts. On my 04 TJ, I don't think I used my welder but once and that was an older CJ that broke. None of my current vehicles have a welder. My 96 Cruiser has moly axles. wont worry there.
Parts wise, I carry fluids, things to fix leaks, things to fix electrical and a tow strap for whatever happens I cant quick fix. Obviously a real good tool kit.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
When I drove a 1985 FJ60, I carried a lot of spare parts. Starter, alternator , fuel pump , belts and hoses.

Now with a 2013 200 Series , I carry a belt , hoses and air filter and cabin filter.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I cart a tool set, JB weld, bailing wire, duct tape, and zip ties, and tire repair kit... no parts, being a mechanic has led me to realize that I order to have all the common breaking parts for any give Vehicle I would need to tow a parts rig down the trail... I learned early on that you can fix almost any problem with a little creativity.

My favorite “Field Repair” as we call it being a field mechanic, was building a thermostat housing out of aluminum filings and JB Weld. It took me several hours to machine the block of JB weld into a working housing, and what was supposed to get the 6.5 diesel home ended up last 4 years before it failed and needed replaced with the correct housing.
aa for the failed thermostat... it was stuck closed so I filed the bypass hole a little larger and by allowing coolant to heat up the wax, it started working again.

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

For remote (especially international) overlanding I would reccomend carrying some basic spare parts. I also carry the same stuff as Mike but on remote trips I'll have some basic spares as well; fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, belts and hoses (and an extra spare tyre). Some fixes are really easy but if you're in the middle of the Namib you might not see another car for days (even weeks) so you won't have access to parts obviously. Can't carry everything with you but I at least want the basics then.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Parts as such? For our South American trip we took air, oil, and fuel filters with us, along with brake pads, timing belt, and bulbs & fuses. in Africa we reduced this to an air filter, timing belt, and bulbs & fuses; and in Australia cut back further to spare bulbs, fuses, and a timing belt.

We also carry "miracle glue" ("plastic steel"), duck tape, tie-wraps, and a tyre repair kit, however I don't consider these "spare parts".

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I carry the sensors that will leave me stranded, a serpentine belt and a u-joint of each size I need. Honestly I'll probably take those out and leave them behind next trip. There's not a whole lot I need to bring. There are parts stores and post offices all over the US, it's freed up a lot of space not carrying a ton of stuff I never use.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I carry a couple of pre-greased u-joints, a couple of u-bolts/straps for the u-joints, a cap and rotor, electric fuel pump, 2 spare belts, a couple of fuel filters, a couple of feet of quality 3/8" fuel line, a box of different size new worm gear hose clamps, engine oil, gear oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, small jug of brake fluid, a tube of grease, fuses and a couple of relays, 1 toggle switch, never seize, zip ties, tie-wire, JB weld, duck tape, electrical tape, teflon tape, self vulcanizing tape, superglue (works on people too!), tire repair kit, 10' of different sizes of wire and a small box of assorted connectors and various sizes of new nuts/bolts/flat and lock washers.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

My truck is fairly new but I do carry a tool kit when we go out so i can help out when needed. On our trip to moab earlier this year i did carry a good amount of tools and a spare axle