Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Example: I can have freeze plugs for a chevy and a d cell Maglite flashlight sitting in my barn its not illegal to buy or own either of those items and they both have their own intended uses that in no way is illegal, yet if I had them near one another in the barn and the atf showed up for a ffl audit they would arrest me for intent to manufacture a silencer. It's the exact same thing it don't matter how legal you think you are.
Are you a FFL dealer or do you have a BATF license? If not, they have to show intent to get a warrant to perform a search. I think you are giving law enforcement more power than they actually have.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Example: I can have freeze plugs for a chevy and a d cell Maglite flashlight sitting in my barn its not illegal to buy or own either of those items and they both have their own intended uses that in no way is illegal, yet if I had them near one another in the barn and the atf showed up for a ffl audit they would arrest me for intent to manufacture a silencer. It's the exact same thing it don't matter how legal you think you are.
That might be more of an atf problem than anything lol

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Please share what your legitimate reason for bolt cutters and a slim jim is, what are you telling the cops it's for?

Do you have a locksmith license and do mobile locksmithing? Are you a general contractor? Do you own a self storage business?
Tell em your cutting locks on forest road barriers and se how that goes.
The old padlock on my tailgate wouldn’t open. I keep the cutters in the back seat storage in the cabin of my truck in case it happens again.

Now I don’t carry a slim Jim, but if I did I would just say the 90s macho man Randy Savage commercials were really effective

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well from responses I guess I'm wrong and 50+ years of legal precedence on the subject can just be thrown right out the window.
I'm sure the jury will totally believe you weren't doing anything wrong.
Those cops sure know all the laws and are alway really great non crooked people that always follow the laws themselves.

I'm confused on one hand yall want to keep trails open on the other hand you do the exact thing that gets them locked up. Which is it tread lightly or I'm gonna go wherever I want that lock don't mean it's closed.

Reactions: Dusther210

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

LOL, holy hell this thread has gone off the rails.

Cutting anything hard with bolt cutters requires significant effort unless the cutters are HUGE. Hardened 3/8 hasp and 36" cutters? Maybe, but you better not be a 21st century soy male.

As for the po-leece charging you for possession of burglary tools, for the tools alone and barring other exigent circumstances, that shit just isn't going to happen.

And remember kids when Officer Friendly asks "Do you mind if I look around in your vehicle?" Regardless if your answer is yes or no, you just gave him permission. The only correct answer is "I do not give you permission to search my vehicle"

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
LOL, holy hell this thread has gone off the rails.

Cutting anything hard with bolt cutters requires significant effort unless the cutters are HUGE. Hardened 3/8 hasp and 36" cutters? Maybe, but you better not be a 21st century soy male.

As for the po-leece charging you for possession of burglary tools, for the tools alone and barring other exigent circumstances, that shit just isn't going to happen.

And remember kids when Officer Friendly asks "Do you mind if I look around in your vehicle?" Regardless if your answer is yes or no, you just gave him permission. The only correct answer is "I do not give you permission to search my vehicle"
Off the rails is one way to put it lol but this thread is more interesting to watch than the olympics

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
bolt cutters are actually part of a first aid kit
say youre at a park having a picnic and Mr T, or any famous rapper, is a few tables away. he gets stung by a bee and goes into anaphylactic shock and his throat swells shut. the paramedics arrive and need to do an emergency tracheotomy, but their tools are no match for the heavy chains. you quit filming from your iphone and reach behind the seat to the bolt cutters in your first aid kit and spring into action....

now who pities the fool who doesnt carry bolt cutters?

1628184227259.png

Last edited:

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
say youre at a park having a picnic and Mr T, or any famous rapper, is a few tables away. he gets stung by a bee and goes into anaphylactic shock and his throat swells shut. the paramedics arrive and need to do an emergency tracheotomy, but their tools are no match for the heavy chains. you quit filming from your iphone and reach behind the seat to the bolt cutters in your first aid kit and spring into action....

View attachment 206210
I am SO glad you entered the chat

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Ok. I think you are missing my point, here, Boost. If you have freeze plugs for a Chevy...and you have your D cell MagLite (quite outdated for sure, but ok, I'll go with it)...when in a friggin ordinary day would the ATF just randomly show up for the average person? Audit for an FFL holder? Ok. That's a special case... Audit then. Lets go from there. If you have an FFL: are you intelligent enough to make sure your licenses are in order and that nothing looks untoward to the auditor? As an FFL holder, are you trying to get into trouble? Are you going to put those things in close proximity to one another, KNOWING they are used for the nefarious purpose of making silencers, and knowing you could be surprise audited? Maybe buy a newer flashlight that doesnt exactly fall into that suspicious category

Or are you loosey goosey with everything to the point you dont have the presence of mind not to do something that would cause the police to stop you while you knew you had bolt cutters in plain view for some reason? Or, how about as an FFL holder, dont have a maglite and freeze plugs anywhere near your gun smithing tools.

It does indeed matter how legal you are. It just sounds to me like you dont know enough to keep certain things separate or do without certain things, so you can keep certain licenses. Or that you dont think ahead enough to put bolt cutters in a locked toolbox in the back of the truck before you decide to run that red light that gets you pulled over.

Here's a tip: dont carry or mention a gun or knife during a robbery, and you wont be charged with armed robbery. Best yet, dont do the robbery. The rules and laws are there. What you describe is just the choosing to live on the edge of it, and complain when you get looked at sideways for it

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Are you a FFL dealer or do you have a BATF license? If not, they have to show intent to get a warrant to perform a search. I think you are giving law enforcement more power than they actually have.
I dont disagree with Boost that the lawmen have power, and sometimes move beyond that power whether knowingly or not. But if you give the law a wide berth, your chances of getting stung decrease exponentially.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Sort of.

Most of those laws are written so that possession of burglary tools while committing a crime is unlawful. You can have it and carry it except when breaking the law. I drive around with just about everything on the list, including lock picks, and massive rings of keys. Since I'm not a criminal, I'm not too worried about it.

And yes, I carry a set of bolt cutters and a battery grinder with me at all times, as well as any other common tool needed to repair a vehicle.
Right? I think you get a pass carrying all that stuff if you are driving a 20 year old Jeep or something. It's a given. They confirm by asking to see the can of PB Blast.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Sort of.

Most of those laws are written so that possession of burglary tools while committing a crime is unlawful. You can have it and carry it except when breaking the law. I drive around with just about everything on the list, including lock picks, and massive rings of keys. Since I'm not a criminal, I'm not too worried about it.

And yes, I carry a set of bolt cutters and a battery grinder with me at all times, as well as any other common tool needed to repair a vehicle.
Right? I think you get a pass carrying all that stuff if you are driving a 20 year old Jeep or something. It's a given. They confirm by asking to see the can of PB Blast.
That’s a verifiable fact. The can of PB must be missing the straw though. If they have wd40 it’s suspect. I know I’d roll em up for sure lol

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well from responses I guess I'm wrong and 50+ years of legal precedence on the subject can just be thrown right out the window.
I'm sure the jury will totally believe you weren't doing anything wrong.
Those cops sure know all the laws and are alway really great non crooked people that always follow the laws themselves.

I'm confused on one hand yall want to keep trails open on the other hand you do the exact thing that gets them locked up. Which is it tread lightly or I'm gonna go wherever I want that lock don't mean it's closed.
Boost, that last paragraph is not the point I'm arguing with you.
And 50 years of legal precedent? If you know that 50 years of legal precedent, why would you keep D cell maglite and freeze plugs in the barn if you held an FFL, to cite your example?. Why dont you just call the ATF and drop a dime on yourself while you're at it?

If you are getting FFL Audited and aren't going to separate yourself from those materials and actions that make you a suspect... and if you are constantly being pulled over while simultaneously carrying bolt cutters and things that "may or may not look stolen" in your front seat...then I neither want to purchase a firearm from you, nor do I even want a ride to the grocery store. Your outlook might just be too cavalier, I dont know.

If you are always getting pinched, and you are always in the wrong place at the wrong time, you may want to evaluate your actions and processes.

As an FFL holder you should know the things and actions that are illegal, prohibited, suspect and frowned upon, and avoid them

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

View attachment 206210
This thread needed that.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

View attachment 206210
This thread needed that.
That’s what I said

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
That could be a problem! I'm from the deep south. There is zero rust on my XJ so I don't carry a can of PB. I guess I better stop soon and pick one up. :grinning: