Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Hi everyone

I want to get a rooftop tent and for my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL and was wondering if I needed to upgrade my stock suspension? The tent will add 160lbs to the roof and I understand it will change the center of gravity, but I am not rocking crawling and I should be ok.

Thank you

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Hi everyone

I want to get a rooftop tent and for my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL and was wondering if I needed to upgrade my stock suspension? The tent will add 160lbs to the roof and I understand it will change the center of gravity, but I am not rocking crawling and I should be ok.

Thank you
No a lift is not needed. think of it as adding a passenger to your roof. That being said, with the weight of everything else you throw in the back of the Jeep may cause the rear end to squat.

Reactions: Graeman

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

No a lift is not needed. think of it as adding a passenger to your roof. That being said, with the weight of everything else you throw in the back of the Jeep may cause the rear end to squat.

Thanks, at some point I will be doing a lift and bigger tires, but I want to use up the stock tires first.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Not completely accurate... Total amount of weight in the vehicle dictates suspension ability to function. Squat is guaranteed if you add a RTT and gear, food, camping needs for multiple people.
That being said would spacers in the rear reduce the rear end sag and what are the downside?

Last edited:

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I'd say no, reasons are already written enough. I would just try it and see how much the rear sags, how it's driving and how much uptravel will be left.
The vehicle will tell you what you want to do.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I don't know the Jeep exactly. So I can't say much about the exact vehicle, only in principle. But I have in my mind that the Jeep doesn't have a particularly high payload and of course you still have to comply with that, also pay attention to axle loads!

I would observe very closely how the handling of the vehicle changes. RTTs are often attached to the rear and top of the vehicle. This is an unfavorable position for a high additional load. This could have a major impact on handling and safety. Perhaps a different suspension or a change in adjustment of the suspension is necessary or a at least a good investment in terms of ride comfort and safety. It can also work well with the original suspension. You should drive carefully anyway with a heavier load. If I were you, I would try it with the original suspenstion setup first, as @MazeVX has already said above.

In any case, it is not enough to simply install a lift. Suspensions must be exactly adjusted to the intended use and vehicle (weight, weight distribution, wheel loads, offroad or rather overlanding, etc.) to have an added value and to be safe. If this is not taken into account, it can even be worse than with an original suspension (which usually finally experts and engineers have adjusted exactly to this vehicle). It's going into a lot of detail now, but just for the sake of completeness: suspensions naturally wear out over time, and then they have to be replaced and readjusted. But I assume that this is not yet the case with a Jeep that is about 2 years old only.

Drive carefully with high roof loads and also keep in mind the new overall height. A corresponding sticker in the field of view can be a good help here.

Enjoy overlanding with your new RTT!

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

That being said would spacers in the rear reduce the rear end sag and what are the downside?
Adding spacers in the back only will give you a really poor ride when you aren't loaded up with lots of weight. If you are looking for a budget lift just to help you maintain ride height and control, I'd look into adding an improved sway bar in the rear. Probably don't need to upgrade your shocks now. These are the kits I like and believe are the best bang for your buck. Not sure if you have a JL or JLU, Sport, Rubicon or Sahara:

Reactions: Surffishingbum

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Adding spacers in the back only will give you a really poor ride when you aren't loaded up with lots of weight. If you are looking for a budget lift just to help you maintain ride height and control, I'd look into adding an improved sway bar in the rear. Probably don't need to upgrade your shocks now. These are the kits I like and believe are the best bang for your buck. Not sure if you have a JL or JLU, Sport, Rubicon or Sahara:

Thank you, and I have a JLU Rubicon

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Not completely accurate... Total amount of weight in the vehicle dictates suspension ability to function. Squat is guaranteed if you add a RTT and gear, food, camping needs for multiple people.
Like you said - not completely accurate. When I open the door to my JK the sticker reads 4 passenger/ 700lbs cargo capacity. As long as I do not exceed the 700 lbs my JK should not squat. the suspension was designed to hold 700lbs and stay at stock height.