Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
I recently bought a used truck through a rental company(Wife works there and got a great deal), but can not tell if it had the tow package since it does not have a hitch. I worked for the same rental company for almost 17 years and know that they try to buy trucks with the tow package(even though all of the big rental car companies do not allow you to tow with their vehicle) for higher resale value. I looked at the owner's portal and it does not show anything in the standard equipment, but under other it shows heavy duty transmission oil cooler and heavy duty engine cooling. Would that mean I have the tow package just minus the hitch? Here is a picture of what is under other on the owner portal. Thanks for any help deciphering the vehicle equipment through the owner's portal. This will be the second vehicle we have purchased that was an ex-rental, first was through a dealer and knew it was an ex-rental through the stickers left on the inside of the door.

1500 Other Equipment.PNG

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I've never done it, but I think you can run a VIN decoder on the manufacturer's website for a list of options installed.

*edit: I'm no help if that's where you got the list you posted.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

Unless you are trying to tow something really heavy (like a full on fifth wheel camper) where you need trailer brakes you should be fine without the "official" tow package. Just get a good Class III receiver installed and hook up the light harness and you'll be ready to rock. If you do decide you need a trailer brake controller they are fairly inexpensive. I tow my boat (about 3500 lbs fully loaded) with a Subaru Outback. Since I am in the mountains most of the time, I put a set of brakes on my trailer and bought a RedArc Tow-Pro proportional brake controller for around $200. It's actually a lot better than what I've had on trucks that had a factory controller. The RedArc automatically brakes the trailer based on your car's momentum instead of the time-delayed or user controlled. It also can be switched over to preset braking for off-road.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

There should be a sticker in the door jamb that states the vehicles tow rating and weight capacities. Usually with tires pressure ratings as well.

Reactions: Billiebob

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If you have an optional trans cooler and that dont come with normal stock truck of your make and model id say yes it has the tow pkg minus the hitch.

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
Best to take your VIN to a dealer and have them run it.... they'll be able to tell you every last thing about your vehicle.

Reactions: Billiebob

MDain

Rank 0

Contributor I

Found this on another site.
The 2TG designation (Trailer Tow Group/Thunder Road Group) is a quick order package/Customer Preferred Package which includes-Heavy Duty Cooling System, Heavy Duty Suspension, Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Class IV Receiver Hitch, 7 Pin Wiring Harness, Trailer Tow 4-Pin Connector Wiring, 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, ect...

it’s an older post, but on a dodge/Chrysler specific forum.