Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Had built one previously before Jackery and Ecoflow and others really became a thing. Did it mostly to learn the basics of solar power and battery storage.

The upgrade is ~430W 36AH with 1000W inverter. Plan is to add a DC battery charger so I can plug it into the 4Runner while traveling.

Daughter gave me a Topsolar 100W foldable solar panel for Christmas to provide the solar charging. Definite an upgrade to my little 40W panels I was using.

Yep - could’ve bought one, but had the components and like to tinker, so….

I do plan on an Ecoflow for future use in a more permanent solution for an Offgrid property.

Attachments

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Had built one previously before Jackery and Ecoflow and others really became a thing. Did it mostly to learn the basics of solar power and battery storage.

The upgrade is ~430W 36AH with 1000W inverter. Plan is to add a DC battery charger so I can plug it into the 4Runner while traveling.

Daughter gave me a Topsolar 100W foldable solar panel for Christmas to provide the solar charging. Definite an upgrade to my little 40W panels I was using.

I do plan on an Ecoflow for future use in a more permanent solution for an Offgrid property.
I like the 110v extensions, I keep wanting to get some but then decide I’m too lazy to drill and seal more holes. I built mine with two 55ah SLAs in a 40qt igloo.

If you have problems with motors/fans ticking and lights flickering, add loads to the inverter or look into a sine wave inverter.

Reactions: CubbyXL7

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
DIY is definitely a good way to go. I mounted a couple of 50w panels on the roof and tucked a couple of 100w panels between the roll bar and roof when not in use. Made up the battery box with an 100ah lithium battery. No inverter needed..mostly for fridge, lights and electronic gadgets.

Attachments

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy

Great work and room to expand! I am /have been working on one based on a 200Ah LiFePO4 pack. I have just received a Victron 100/30 charge controller and still need a 1500-2000 Watt inverter to finish the build. I chose the Craftsman roller box as well. I like the idea of modular expansion for upgrades, accessories, transporting. Hope to have mine done by Summer.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Nice job with the DIY. I have watched several YT vids on building these, that was my plan. I ran across a price I couldn't pass on a 600 watt unit, does everything I need, light, compact. I find I get about 50% of solar panel rated spec unless I'm meticulous on placement.

CubbyXL7

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Central Texas, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jenkins
Member #

Would like to see some pics if you have them. Eventually will upgrade to higher capacity battery, these two will work for now. Next upgrade will likely be a AC to DC charger so I can charge the battery while at home without having to set up. The solar panels.