DIY Roof Top Tent using 80/20

• HTML tutorial

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Jeez, have had zero time the last 2 months to work on this, but got going today. Drew out the pattern in Patternsmith and cut it on the Autometrix this AM. This is the 2nd cut, the first was off a bit. I tried sewing the zipper in but I screwed it up by stretching the interior panel too much. I will pull the stitching and go again maybe tomorrow.Tent shot2 combined.jpg
I also found my first problem with the construction. The hinges are attached using slide in t-nuts in the 80/20 channel. While I used lock washers on the bolts, they are sliding under the weight after opening and closing it a bunch of times, so I have to drill through the 80/20 and permanently fix the position of the hinges.

I also noticed more flex in the platform than I hoped for. The plywood top needed more attachment screws. Working on that now...

85cj7boy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ohio
You will find that everything will loosen up. From my experience 80/20 is great for concepts and getting stuff dialed in. I would recommend welding all the joints and through bolting anything you can once you have your design nailed.

Reactions: Will Macia

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
You will find that everything will loosen up. From my experience 80/20 is great for concepts and getting stuff dialed in. I would recommend welding all the joints and through bolting anything you can once you have your design nailed.
So, spent this Sunday in my shop drilling and fastening more bolts to stiffen it up a bit. It's better now and I am more confident in getting it road ready by May...

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Any Updates?
Just back from more trade shows and vacation with families so I got some time today to tinker with the flexing a bit. I added more nuts and bolts and some leveling plates for the center sag. It worked well but I still think it needs a bit more stabilizing on the extension. I am going to add some angle aluminum rail to the bottom of the decking and screw it to the panels next.
Fabric tent is 1/2 done. I started seeing a seat back molle panel instead. I get distracted easy... too many things I want to make...20180408_132400.jpg20180408_132407.jpg20180408_132416.jpg

Reactions: Broke and ChepoCDT

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Seriously impressive... making a roof top tent is not something I'd have even considered doing but it certainly looks possible now I've seen this. Keep up the posts!

Reactions: F8OO and Will Macia

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Wow, months go by and I have had no time to work on this, but today I kicked it into gear again and got some tasks checked off. Today I
- Installed 2 aluminum angle extrusions to limit the twist in the cantilever platform section.
- Installed the mounting hardware for the tent.
- Cut felt strips to insulate/moisture-wick in between the tent and the 80/20 rail.
- Finished the pattern for the fabric portion (round 3), cut it, and installed 2 of the 6 plastic stabilizers on the base of the ends of the tent. Also cut the rainfly.
- Drilled the mounting holes for the tent-to-rack connection.
- Got distracted and made a frame pouch for my son's bike (this is really why I don't get much done - ADD)

When I made the last top, I did not sew the window in correctly and it skewed. This is not my specialty, so I am going to have one of our sewers do this part in the next week.

For the rainfly, I am planning on using patches of Hypalon material in the 4 corners to accept the rods that hold it out from the main cabin. I am about 40% confident the material I chose for this will be OK. Just not sure yet. The good news is that this portion of it is easy to make and replace if need be.

Also came up with a decent plan for soft lighting inside using some 70d Nylon and a NiteIze LED. Works like a charm to soften the light and diffuse it.

20180528_091451.jpg 20180528_091459.jpg

Attachments

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Last leg started today. I have to sew the no-see-um mesh windows on, then cut the fabric out and make some interior flaps for covers, then cut the door and install zippers. I have about 1 day of work left, have to be done by the weekend for a test flight before NWOR!!!

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Last leg started today. I have to sew the no-see-um mesh windows on, then cut the fabric out and make some interior flaps for covers, then cut the door and install zippers. I have about 1 day of work left, have to be done by the weekend for a test flight before NWOR!!!

Pics20180610_123813.jpeg20180610_124214.jpeg20180610_130052.jpeg

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Crunch time... I sewed the windows and got the panels together. The fit is a bit tight on the long sides, but I have not put the 2 expansion slots on the side panels which are critical when you close it as they allow for geometry to change without ripping the fabric. So, I put the tent on for a quick fitting and for the most part, it's pretty sweet. Added a cool window shade for fun. The sewing part was not perfect and I could have done better had I spent a bit more time, but oh well. I will square it up tomorrow and post more pics. 20180614_173632.jpeg20180614_173626.jpeg20180614_154751.jpeg

Reactions: Broke