DIY "No Welding" Roof Rack

• HTML tutorial

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Following this post!

I've wanted a nice roof rack for my tundra, but they don't make one save for the Thule and Yamika, but they only hold 125 lbs or something like that.
Also, the 125 lb rating is most likely the dynamic load rating. AKA you shouldn't be driving with more then 125 lbs on the rack, however most rack's static load rating is much higher,around 300-500. Depends on the rack though, so don't rely on only my $.02

Reactions: Kelly

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

I love it, think it's a great idea. However I am a little concerned about vibration, how long will it stay together? How is it holding up?

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I love it, think it's a great idea. However I am a little concerned about vibration, how long will it stay together? How is it holding up?
It's bomb proof. Once those set screws dig into the aluminum, they don't budge.

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

[emoji1373] Praise to our Rigger/Gripper Brothers! As a Los Angeles Art Director, I've got lots of respect for you guys.

Now I want to jump over to IMS and check out some 3/4" speed rail.

-CP TACO
OB #3276

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Might be a good roof rack system for my little trailer.

How rigid is the whole thing? I was planning on welding a rack because the lid of my trailer isn't too rigid and a welded rack would make it so. This seems like it would be plenty rigid.

-M

imurill0

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Thousand Oaks
First Name
Ismael
Last Name
Murillo
Member #

How would you apply this system to a Jk hardtop without making any holes in the top??
I have no rails or gutters that can hold weight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

addition for guys in europe, this is the shop were I ordered all the stuff for the diy roof rack on my niva (40mm):

http://www.brinck-rohrverbinder.de/shop/Rohrverbinder:::1.html?language=de

don't wonder about the mm to inch connections in the listing on the left. makes no sense. focus on the mm measures. unfortunately no 25,4, multiplies or submultiplies available.

good thing: you can order stuff in powder coated paint in your desired color (ral code). for the fittings just select anodized to get the about right price.

quality of that stuff is top notch. it's the same stuff that public transport companies over here use in their busses and trams.

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

Nice link, that tubing looks just right.

Looked up your location. I used to live in D'dorf and was there again at Christmas for a friends wedding. Nice city, we miss it.k
thanks for your kind words. and please apologize it took me 3 months to reply :D
yeah, love the city. it's always good when the stretch of your city fits into your head, and you know the northern- and southernmost places. just my 2 cents. doesn't mean larger cities aren't fascinating .. though in the future we want to move to the countryside ..

Reactions: brianb2

Sprocket 1-505

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

Great post man. I have been wanting to build a bed rack for my Tacoma. I've made a few things from flat bar but need a little guidance with something on this scale. Do you have any drawings or plans? I still want to keep my factory bed cover and still utilize the bed rails. I've seen fab brackets by voodoo I might be able to buy for 100. But the rack itself is the challenging part. I think a mid hight would work for me. What are your thoughts? Would like to use as a platform for and regularly tent till I can splurge on an rtt. I'd also like to mount fuel cans and spare. I can work how and location out later, just curios about weight. Voodoo has a good rack at 550+100 for brackets. Is it worth the DIY or fork over for the voodoo rack. Thanks in advance.

Devin

Some images if your not familiar with the set up and with voodoo

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

first stage ready. upcoming next week(end): top rails around the front, and awning mounts.

most of the rear part will be kept free to host an ARB Simpson III opening to the side.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ad5.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ad6.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ad7.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ad4.jpg

edit: to add a bit of information about the why. 2 arguments:
1. why buy a commercial full roof rack to have about 75% of it unusable cause it's covered by the RTT?
2. weight. let's take the full size frontrunner. 70lbs. RTT is 110lbs. max roof load is 150lbs. end of the story. this minimalist rack weighs just some 15lbs.

Last edited: