Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

Some often ask me "what is the purpose of those wires from your hood to your roof rack?" We "overlanders" know, but it makes for a great conversation and the response is always "Cool! You do that stuff?" I want to share how I added limd risers to my JKU.

First I'll do the roof rack. Everything but the rubber pipe clamps was purchased at Home Depot. The pipe clamps I purchased from one of my local plumbing wholesaler $2.50 cdn each. 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". I didn't want to drill holes in the rack, so I found this solution one day doing a counter day at one of my wholesalers. The rubber is a great sound isolator too! The nut on the clamp is 3/8" so I had to buy 3/8" eye bolts. They are 2-1/2" long so I had to cut it down but left enough thread to put a second nut to tighten it from spinning.

Reactions: justin marsh

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

Now for the hood latch part. I didn't want to put holes in my hood either so I came up with an idea to use the hood latches as my tie down points. You'll need to remove the latches (really easy to do) and add a 3" - 2hole straight bracket. Now, you will need a washer for the bottom bolt to make up the thickness of the bracket. JKU owners will understand once they pop the hood and see what I mean. I used lock biners for easy removal for the windshield replacement guys. They really appreciate that feature. I think in total, I spent $25 cdn to do this add-on.

eric.ryan.davis

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nice write up! By far the biggest question I get too is "What are those string things for?" lol

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

LOL. Often get that question, too. I think some assume they're mini clothes lines. :blush: Good write up!

E

expeditionnorth

I've been wanting some, but fear they might whistle at highway speeds?

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

Bahahaha! I had someone in the parking lot come over and ask me what the risers were. My response "they're body limb deflectors so that when the zombie apocalypse comes I can drive thru the dead and the limbs will deflect away from my windshield". His face...priceless, I wish I took a picture. @administrator

Rexor91

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Kaiserslautern, Germany
Member #

Some often ask me "what is the purpose of those wires from your hood to your roof rack?" We "overlanders" know, but it makes for a great conversation and the response is always "Cool! You do that stuff?" I want to share how I added limd risers to my JKU.

First I'll do the roof rack. Everything but the rubber pipe clamps was purchased at Home Depot. The pipe clamps I purchased from one of my local plumbing wholesaler $2.50 cdn each. 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". I didn't want to drill holes in the rack, so I found this solution one day doing a counter day at one of my wholesalers. The rubber is a great sound isolator too! The nut on the clamp is 3/8" so I had to buy 3/8" eye bolts. They are 2-1/2" long so I had to cut it down but left enough thread to put a second nut to tighten it from spinning.
Have any pictures of your setup?

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app