Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Do you plan on putting in drawers? I was contemplating building mine without securing it to the bottom of the vehicle. Do you think it would be heavy enough (with drawers and filled with stuff)?
If I stick with this rig long enough to pull the spare out from the spare wheel bay in the floor, I might do a drawer system. The plan is to upgrade to another rig within the next 3 years, so we will see. This setup is pretty sturdy so it would definitely hold some weight. If I did drawers, I'd redo the whole setup and do it with lighter materials what would also hold the weight. If only there was a decked system that would fit or someone that made these things for a living....

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
If you don’t mind me askin what would upgrade to from the wj. I also was looking at drawers when I build mine but I need somewhere for a cooler so at most I might have one pull out on the side. That way I would have drawer then cooler
Looking at a FJ100 Land Cruiser. I'm partial to Jeep but I'm just not a fan of the newer ones to a degree, and I'm not as mechanically inclined as I wish to be to work on an older one like a Waggy. I did look at a JKUR recently to get a feel for it and I wasn't disappointed aside from the lack of sound deadening on the top. I've seen some wicked Commander builds too. Still up in the air. The WJ is my daily so it might be where I get a commuter and have a dedicated rig (WJ or other). Drawers would be nice with a fridge/freezer tray that would also fit the cooler. This setup is simple and functional for the need right now. This could change in the future with modifications or I might start over completely depending on my needs. I can almost guarantee things will evolve as I use this setup.

Last edited:

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I don’t know much bout fjs but if you didn’t find one of those, I would look for a wj with a 4.0. The awd doesn’t matter cuz you can swap in a 231 and have a strong tcase that goes into 2wd also. The wj is like a Cadillac version of my zj lol.
Hah sorry, I updated my post while you responded. Don't get me wrong, I like the WJ, however my needs have changed since I purchased it nearly 4 years ago. It works for now and may still work in the future. I like the FJ's and the JKUR's a lot. I think both have their flaws, but both are very different vehicles. For the type of wheeling I do, it comes down to keeping the MPG's as high as possible while also having a versatile rig. My mechanic will also appreciate a bulletproof rig. I would also like to be able to work on it as much as possible, but not have to work on it or have it worked on often. Oh well. This discussion will not matter for at least another year and a half.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Looking at a FJ100 Land Cruiser. I'm partial to Jeep but I'm just not a fan of the newer ones to a degree, and I'm not as mechanically inclined as I wish to be to work on an older one like a Waggy. I did look at a JKUR recently to get a feel for it and I wasn't disappointed aside from the lack of sound deadening on the top. I've seen some wicked Commander builds too. Still up in the air. The WJ is my daily so it might be where I get a commuter and have a dedicated rig (WJ or other). Drawers would be nice with a fridge/freezer tray that would also fit the cooler. This setup is simple and functional for the need right now. This could change in the future with modifications or I might start over completely depending on my needs. I can almost guarantee things will evolve as I use this setup.
A FJ100 would be pretty neat.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Looking good! I like the black. I think I'll do mine with carpet or leave the top just wood so I can kinda blend it into the tan back.
Thanks! I would have done it in carpet, but decided against it for a few reasons. Cost, ability, and cleanliness were the main factors. Although it's not much more over paint, I had paint already left over from my M715 build before I sold it. I have almost zero experience with carpeting in that fashion. And since the dogs will be on it, it might be easier to keep clean? maybe not. They're gonna be on a big dog bed so we shall see what happens. If I redid it in favor of a drawer system either on this rig or another, I will probably carpet the top. Only time will tell if I change it up. This will suffice for now. Since it's also designed to be easily removed, I didn't see a need to help blend it with the rest of the interior and make it too fancy. Looking forward to seeing your build

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Thanks! I would have done it in carpet, but decided against it for a few reasons. Cost, ability, and cleanliness were the main factors. Although it's not much more over paint, I had paint already left over from my M715 build before I sold it. I have almost zero experience with carpeting in that fashion. And since the dogs will be on it, it might be easier to keep clean? maybe not. They're gonna be on a big dog bed so we shall see what happens. If I redid it in favor of a drawer system either on this rig or another, I will probably carpet the top. Only time will tell if I change it up. This will suffice for now. Since it's also designed to be easily removed, I didn't see a need to help blend it with the rest of the interior and make it too fancy. Looking forward to seeing your build
Ahhh makes sense. Carpet would be hard to clean. Thanks for the inspiration.

maxfederle89

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

US
That looks good. You could always install some rubber mat on the top of your platform. That way your doggos have something to grip and the paint won't get scrapped up. I use a commercial style floor mat Frome home Depot cut to fit.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
That looks good. You could always install some rubber mat on the top of your platform. That way your doggos have something to grip and the paint won't get scrapped up. I use a commercial style floor mat Frome home Depot cut to fit.
I thought about this and tried to get my existing cargo mat to work. I might still get a mat cut to fit in the event the doggos hang in the back seat and we stuff more gear inside. Luckily the dog bed we throw back there is the perfect size for the platform and both dogs fit with room to spare. Once I get a chance, I plan on adding some more bracing to the platform to maintain square. Might have to wait until I get a tire carrier so I don't have to mess with removing the spare from the spare wheel bay, which may be before the end of the year. My design thankfully allows me to modify slightly to accommodate changes, which the rear should see before too long.

Reactions: maxfederle89

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have carpet in mine it is pretty maintenance free. For cleaning it can be removed in a few minutes or replaced since they are pre cut throw rugs. The carpet gives the dogs something to grab into if the going gets ruff and does a good job of keeping other stuff from sliding around too. Mine are only attached on one side and lift up to store thin stuff like window shades extra maps and paper targets.

Wilco makes a hitchgate swing out tire carrier starting at $825 I have a 35x12.5x17 tire on mine. WIlco Hitchgate

Last edited:

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have carpet in mine it is pretty maintenance free. For cleaning it can be removed in a few minutes or replaced since they are pre cut throw rugs. The carpet gives the dogs something to grab into if the going gets ruff and does a good job of keeping other stuff from sliding around too. Mine are only attached on one side and lift up to store thin stuff like window shades extra maps and paper targets.

Wilco makes a hitchgate swing out tire carrier starting at $825 I have a 35x12.5x17 tire on mine. WIlco Hitchgate
Believe it or not, the spray on bed line seems to provide a decent amount of grip for anything light sitting on top. The dogs have a bed on top, as mentioned above, that surprisingly works well on and off-road. It's made out of this nylon-type ripstop material that stays relatively clean, but can easily be wiped down clean or machine washed. I might do something different in the future if needed but it works well as is! I looked at the Wilco hitchgate. There's actually another option out there at that same level of quality from Detours of Maine for less and there's some level of customization with it too! Just gotta put aside that $$, but I have other mods that take priority since I have solutions for any storage needs. While they're not ideal solutions, they work until I can modify and fabricate my next iteration for organization, storage, and overall ease of use in my rig.