Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Aight, let’s see if anyone can help with this because I’ve been rattling ideas in my head for a while now with no results. I have a 70lbs (31kg) English Bulldog and due to both of our backs/hips lifting him in and out of the tailgate area was getting old VERY fast. I looked into a dog ramp and got on off craigslist, and after a week of training he was a pro and going up and down it.

The ramp is a tri fold ramp and folds up nicely with room to spare for the pup.

So what I need. I still have to lift the ramp out and set it up each time and wanted to see if anyone had ideas so that it could be made to unfold more easily upon opening the tailgate. See photos below for current set up. I would like to maybe get to the point when I open the tail gate up and the ramp comes out automatically.
1018151529a_zpszyeyoiei.JPG

Last edited:

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
My parents have a a single folding ramp that has to be placed out every time for there Lab. I looked for a auto folding ramp but have not found one. So I will be following this thread for ideas too.

Reactions: murps

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

i was thinking a telescoping ramp that stores in a drawer in the bed of the jeep. They aren't cheap though

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Would that cause a problem to get to the spare tire?

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

when i fold the ramp up. it sits right next to where my pup is sitting. So i could either build a drawer system that covers the entire trunk area, or just one the the right side of it.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Would that cause a problem to get to the spare tire?
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Whatever materials used would have to be light enough that I can lift the door to the spare. Good catch. That would of been a issue later on lol

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Alright, I have considered a ramp like that for my Grand Cherokee, but the spare in the floor has always held me up from something more permanent.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

might become my summer project when my wallet has recouped from the holidays. Got time to plan

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

I have a dog that's starting to have issues... I wonder if a MaxTrax will work if I flip it upside down....

Maybe an excuse to get a set!
lol if it works it works. You should probably get a set, you know, for research

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Came across an OLD OLD OLD bunkbed that my brother and I had back in the day. The bed has supplied me with solid wood AND, a slide, ahh the days of waking up and sliding out of bed. Anyway, after a little family outing to Home Depot the ramp is pretty much complete. I am currently working on the drawer system that the ramp will be housed in. I will post a photo of the complete ramp later, I added some grip matting.

The plan is that you pull the drawer out and it will clear the rear bumper, then pull the ramp out and gravity will take over and the ramp will fall into place for the pup. Then it’s as simple and pushing the ramp back up and sliding the drawer back in. I am really excited for this project as it’s a huge learning experience so far and has me thinking about taking some carpentry classes at the local community college. May even check into welding.

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@dmurph1996 Wow, Murph! I thought Boozer was pampered before, but that takes the cake! :openmouth: That's a very clever setup. You might build a spare drawer to swap in to use when you need more storage.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

@dmurph1996 Wow, Murph! I thought Boozer was pampered before, but that takes the cake! :openmouth: That's a very clever setup. You might build a spare drawer to swap in to use when you need more storage.
That is a solid idea! Pamper, yeah probably, but he is a growing boy and is only getting heavier. Point of the ramp is to save my back and knees down the road

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

How about a device like they use for fridges in the car. The one which you can drop? That could be a solution when you make it all the way from left to right.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

How about a device like they use for fridges in the car. The one which you can drop? That could be a solution when you make it all the way from left to right.
That is very cool! I have something in the works right now, just a matter of getting the time to complete it. Australia has all the cool stuff

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
Came across an OLD OLD OLD bunkbed that my brother and I had back in the day. The bed has supplied me with solid wood AND, a slide, ahh the days of waking up and sliding out of bed. Anyway, after a little family outing to Home Depot the ramp is pretty much complete. I am currently working on the drawer system that the ramp will be housed in. I will post a photo of the complete ramp later, I added some grip matting.

The plan is that you pull the drawer out and it will clear the rear bumper, then pull the ramp out and gravity will take over and the ramp will fall into place for the pup. Then it’s as simple and pushing the ramp back up and sliding the drawer back in. I am really excited for this project as it’s a huge learning experience so far and has me thinking about taking some carpentry classes at the local community college. May even check into welding.

Looks like it's coming along great, how are you going to hard mount it to the vehicle?