DIY Expedition/Overland Trailer

• HTML tutorial

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Here's a few pics of the build process so far....
We used 3" C-Channel for the frame, 2" square tubing for the tongue and triangular tongue supports. 2500lb galvanized axle, 2000lb leaf springs and some 4x4.5 hub assemblies. Found a great deal on some 18" Jeep wheels and AT tires on Craigslist.
3/4" PT Plywood to skin the cargo box, w/ 2"x2" studs for the framing and all stainless screws were used.
All metal has been primed and painted with truck bed liner.
Next up will be choosing a color for the box........Dark Gray or Olive Drab?!?!? My truck is a brown color from Ford, called Caribou........can't decide which would look best!!!! lol
Our RTT will be installed on top and a new 12v fridge has been ordered. Solar will power the fridge off-grid and hopefully, I'll be able to tie in the battery charging while driving.
Anyway, thanks for checking it out.
Ty
20171124_121421_HDR.jpg 20171124_165225.jpg DSC01337.JPG 20171204_111122.jpg IMG_20171207_173137.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Build is looking great. Welding is a skill I would like to have time to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: tkt0912

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Build is looking great. Welding is a skill I would like to have time to learn.
Thanks!!! My buddy taught me about 2yrs ago, but I never ended up using the skill. So this time, the same buddy, let me practice on some scrap and then jump in!! He did all of the important and difficult welds. I'm sure it was tough for him to watch me weld, grind, then weld again!!!! lol He was very patient and I truly appreciate him taking his time to teach me. It has definitely been a blast.

Reactions: Beee

ogradydds

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Granbury, TX
Member #

Looks awesome so far! Interested to see your progress. I'd love to eventually do some big project like this, if for no other reason than to have something to tinker on. My wife would kill me with another project at the moment however. :tearsofjoy:

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

I'm really falling behind, due to getting ready for the holidays and a recent 3 day vacation. Since my original post, I caulked all joints and filled all screw holes w/ wood putty, then primed the box with an oil based exterior primer. Next, I need to pick a color (thinking olive drab) and then get it painted. Fenders and RTT rack to follow paint.

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

I see in the background that you also have a Yamaha TW 200. I to have one and really like it. They fit the Overland life style quite well except for the small gas tank.
That's not mine unfortunately. It's my buddies and he too has an expedition trailer that he built, that houses the bike, 2 kayaks, RTT and more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walter

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Resized_20180113_171652.jpeg 20180114_062721.jpg Finally a bit of progress!!!
Still have fenders to install, as well as the 3 doors (tarp in the back is just to protect from moisture getting in while waiting for doors to arrive) and then running all the electrical wiring. Went with a Lock N' Roll hitch. RTT rack is mounted to height recommended for our RTT annex. Thinking of adding a small roof rack for storage on the top front of the cargo box. Spare tire will mount to the front of the cargo box, on the tongue. Can't wait to get this thing out there!!!

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

We've got fenders AND DOORS folks!!!! All running lights, turn signals and interior lights are done as well. Propane tank installed. Rear trim installed. ONLY a few things left.......tag light/bracket, awning install on RTT, spare tire mount and then, I think we'll be good to go!!!
First official test run will be the 23rd-25th of this month, in the Ocala National Forest.
20180207_064046.jpg IMG_20180206_164715_105.jpg
Oh....... and we got ourselves a dedicated Overlanding Rig!!!!!

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Looks awesome so far! Interested to see your progress. I'd love to eventually do some big project like this, if for no other reason than to have something to tinker on. My wife would kill me with another project at the moment however. :tearsofjoy:
This project has definitely taken me longer than imagined. But, I've been able to take my time and do things as close to "right" as possible. It's been nice having something to do every day when I get home from shift.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

We've got fenders AND DOORS folks!!!! All running lights, turn signals and interior lights are done as well. Propane tank installed. Rear trim installed. ONLY a few things left.......tag light/bracket, awning install on RTT, spare tire mount and then, I think we'll be good to go!!!
First official test run will be the 23rd-25th of this month, in the Ocala National Forest.
View attachment 47459 View attachment 47460
Oh....... and we got ourselves a dedicated Overlanding Rig!!!!!
Very nice build!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

S

SubeeBen

Awesome build, love to see the diy builds & not someone who just has a big wallet to go buy whatever. No offense to those who have the money to, but just saying.

xoomi

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salt Lake City, Utah
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Cool build, I was just wondering did you use trailer brakes? If not what do you think so far do you think they are necessary or would help?

tkt0912

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Space Coast, Florida
Member #

Cool build, I was just wondering did you use trailer brakes? If not what do you think so far do you think they are necessary or would help?
Sorry for the delay in response!! I did not install trailer brakes. So far, I don't see the need. However, I have yet to have it up in the mountains. We'll be in the mountains in May and might be able to give a better opinion then. I'm hoping that with the trailers weight not being "that much", it'll be ok without them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app