South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
For me, first thing I look for is National Forests in an area I want to explore. Then, I like to look around on Google Maps/Google Earth to see where the forest roads lead to. Often one may identify areas that look suitable for campsites. Each NF has different criteria for dispersed camping. Some seem to make it easier than others. Look on their web page and you will get an idea. When traveling cross- country and looking for spots to spend a night on the way to a destination I may look for remote boat landings or even cemeteries. I don't have a big rig so I can do pretty good at ninja camping. Some states have conservation areas that are suitable for free camping in designated areas. Public lands will show up as darker green on google maps. Then switch to satellite view and zoom in to see a particular area. It may surprise you of how many spots are out there. Please don't leave trash and follow the rules to keep these places open for everyone.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
If you have not already, I would send a msg to @Mike W who is the Regional director for your area (Midwest). I am sure not only can he get you to others in your area and thus some ideas and maybe people to go out with but he may know some also. And ask him if the Midwest has a fb page (good place to get quick trips and meet ups).
Also I would look at the OB1 App, I just looked and there is a bunch of things in Ky and around.
I would look here for meet ups: Overland Bound Meetups and ask for spots.
I would search here for ideas: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/forums/overland-bound-routes-downloadable.29/

If you need more help let us know....

Jim
PS if you go out and blaze your own trail, use the app to record your tracks and then save it (gpx).

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Also keep in mind you have the OB1 map resource as well. It continually has new locations added. Many of the layers @FishinCrzy mentioned are there too like satellite and Forest Service roads. Forest service roads have big white box number labels. The map is quite zippy, and we’ll continue improving, including bringing all the features over to web.

You can also send a Map Message through the app in the specific area you’d like to travel and get recommendations.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
For me, first thing I look for is National Forests in an area I want to explore. Then, I like to look around on Google Maps/Google Earth to see where the forest roads lead to. Often one may identify areas that look suitable for campsites. Each NF has different criteria for dispersed camping. Some seem to make it easier than others. Look on their web page and you will get an idea. When traveling cross- country and looking for spots to spend a night on the way to a destination I may look for remote boat landings or even cemeteries. I don't have a big rig so I can do pretty good at ninja camping. Some states have conservation areas that are suitable for free camping in designated areas. Public lands will show up as darker green on google maps. Then switch to satellite view and zoom in to see a particular area. It may surprise you of how many spots are out there. Please don't leave trash and follow the rules to keep these places open for everyone.
I did this last year to find some possible camp sites for a future trip to Wyoming. When the WYBDR was released last month, those all landed along the trail.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thanks for the suggestions. If there are any places that any of you have stayed and would like to share I would appreciate it.
Never camped in Ohio, KY, or Indiana. I See Wayne NF and Daniel Boone NF in that area. Should be plenty of opportunities there. Get some maps and go explore. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 85CivilianJeep

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
For you I would head west into Hoosier NF (Indiana) and Shawnee NF (Illinois). Both pretty large areas of national forest, there has to be some really nice dispersed camping options in there. I have not lived around there in many years so I cannot give specifics. A lot of times it is just about getting out there and finding a few spots. Now-a-days there are apps for that, never used them with much success. Good luck!

Dean2

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Clarkson
Member #

Service Branch
USAR/NCNG
Hoosier has dispersed vehicle-based camping.

My understanding is that Shawnee no longer allows it. You can disperse camp, but you park and hoof it. I could be wrong, but all signs pointed that way when I was checking into it last year. See: Shawnee National Forest - Camping & Cabins:Dispersed Camping I also found a Youtube video showing a family being run off by rangers, since they'd pulled off the road. Sorry, but I can't find that one now. Hopefully, though, I'm wrong and someone will pipe up and correct me!

RaD Overlanding

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Kwapich
I have dispersed camped in the Hoosier NF. I am pretty new to overlanding and when I camped there late this summer, I didnt even know what "overlanding" was. 3 of the spots that i thought would be great (after looking on google maps, google earth, and ioverlander), all had cables going across the road. The spot we chose was a small clearing right off the paved road. The road led down tona boat ramp, so during the day the road was quite busy. At night it was quiet and DARK. I was using a truck bed tent then, and it would take me about 45 mins to get camp completed. Needless to say, once I was setup i wasnt leaving. Hence, the venture into building my rig for easier overlanding camp setup.

I am in NW Ohio, and there arent a lot of places close. Recently, I spotted some trials on Gaia, around Hocking Hills, but there isnt too many spots to camp. That's my 4 cents, hope it helped a little bit.

Rick

Reactions: 85CivilianJeep

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Northern penninsula of Michigan is supposed to be pretty nice with a moderate selection of dispersed camping sites. Some state forests in Pennsylvania have dispersed “permit” camping as well. Some think the Allegheny National Forest is a good place to explore. I was there decades ago and was not impressed. You are correct, not much going on until you get west of the Mississippi.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
As mentioned iOverlander. If you happen to already be a user of the App Ultimate CG that one is great too, it was purchased by a big company so I'm not sure if it's available to new users anymore. Another one is Avenza Maps, a great way to stitch the forestry maps together.