Dispersed camping Lower Peninsula Michigan questions.

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

bmwguru

Rank VI

Enthusiast III

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I posted this in the general overland forum but after I did I thought it might be more appropriate in this forum. I am going to the Keweenaw Overland Adventure retreat next weekend. I am planning on driving up from Indiana through Michigan. Looking for dispersed camping near the top of the lower peninsula of Michigan for Wednesday 9-11-19 I have never done "dispersed" camping. My research says that dispersed camping in Michigan is very popular and doable. Do I need a permit? As long as I'm 1 mile from a designated camp site I'm ok? I'm a bit confused and don't want to screw this up as I will be having my wife and canine with me and it will be her first overlanding trip. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Baipin

Kdj

Rank I

Contributor I

Naptown
Manistee national forest, Gaylord state forest. Michigan state forests has lots of really small campgrounds that are free or super cheap. Couple of spots on ioverland also.

Reactions: Baipin and bmwguru