Dirt Bikes: Anyone else throw one on/in the back?

• HTML tutorial

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

I've been wanting a dirt bike to get around once I set up base camp! License issues in washington make them illegal on backroads though. I've concidered an old honda trail 70 or a pit bike. Easy to throw in the utility trailer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: TheAdventureIndex

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Very nice rig you have there.

I have a few configurations I haul the bikes around with. Sometimes with the RTT, sometimes with the trailer.

I like having the spare transportation when exploring. :-)
Damn! NICE SET UP! Looks like you could set up base camp for a week and ride every day!

Reactions: dblack

mr2autoxr

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I love to see how you get the bikes up on there. Especially your full size bike. I've considered doing something like this but didn't know if it would be hard to put them up there and get them down. I am riding a KTM 350.

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I'll have to take some photos sometime, but let's just say it's "very very carefully"...

If I can, I put the kids bikes up top, and mine on the bumper carrier. It's easiest that way. But any bike I do put up top, I have 2 12' folding ramps from Diamond back. See photo below from their website.

For my bikes I put the ramps side by side, and walk up one ramp while running the throttle and slipping the clutch. Once up top, I line it up how I need. Never had a problem... Knock on wood.

Side loading ATV.png

Reactions: MBroenkow

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

'96 Zook RM250 2-stroke, green stickered

"Bike of the Year" for '96. Also the bike that caused the rift between Suzuki and Jeremy McTrash.

Needs: rebuilt carb, flushed fuel lines, and front brake bleed. It's been sitting for two years. Any shadetree moto mechanics in the SF Bay Area want to help me make her go BRRAAAAP!! again?

Keylay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cypress, Texas
Member #

Started riding on a XR 200. After that, moved to a CR 125R. Rode that until college, then get out of riding. Fast forward five years later, i bought a CR250R. First ride out, broke my femur and ankle on a MX track. Sold that in 2012 and haven't ridden since :(

TheAdventureIndex

Rank V
Investor

Member III

San Mateo,CA
Member #

Started riding on a XR 200. After that, moved to a CR 125R. Rode that until college, then get out of riding. Fast forward five years later, i bought a CR250R. First ride out, broke my femur and ankle on a MX track. Sold that in 2012 and haven't ridden since :(
hop back on it. wear the proper gear and youll be ok!

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
My wife would shoot me if I got a bike. I used to race professionally and made a large amount of money before I met her. She has lived with me through 16 orthopedic surgeries. I earned my handicapped license plates. Mention bikes and her blood pressure goes up 50 points.

When you are young, you think it will heal or I will die. No big deal....wait till you hit 40, and heaven help you when you hit 65.