Enthusiast III

Wetumpka, AL, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hoggard
Member #

Hey guys,

I am going to warn you right off the bat, this is going to be a slow build. With my family, work, competitive shooting, and my other hobbies, I am just going to have to divert funds to this build when I can.

My ultimate goal is to build a military inspired, overland/bug out truck that can tackle almost any terrain, but still be a daily driver. That was one of the biggest reasons I chose the ZR2.
So far, I have ordered a Midland MXT-115 Micro Mobile GMRS radio, but unfortunately its still sitting in the box at my house.

Mods (Hopefully) to come:
Leer 100XR - ordered
Cap platform for carrying awning, maxtax,
K&N Intake
2" levelling kit (if someone actually comes out with one)
Go Rhino Pioneer Platform w/ lightbar
30" RC lightbar installed under the grill
Swing cases and rotopax installed in bed

Pics:

Last edited:

redman333

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Nice truck man!! I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure. Did you go with gas or diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Directive51

Directive51

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wetumpka, AL, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hoggard
Member #

I test drove both, and the diesel just felt sluggish. I went for the V6. That is a big reason I think the first 2 mods I am planning on doing are the intake and possibly a dual exhaust system.

Reactions: Notedhillbilly

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I test drove both, and the diesel just felt sluggish. I went for the V6. That is a big reason I think the first 2 mods I am planning on doing are the intake and possibly a dual exhaust system.
You are the second person on here that said the diesel was sluggish. That's too bad I was excited about it, the ifrst none full size 4x4 offered with diesel in the US in quite awhile.

Reactions: maxfederle89

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I think this ZR2 is the beginning. I also think it will inspire Ford to bring the mini Raptor when the Ranger lands. I think we are seeing the beginning of an era of exciting and capable trucks. Let alone the Bronco, and rumored Ram Charger, or Jeep Truck.

Brandon Shelton

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Austin
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Shelton
Member #

Following this build. Kind of wish I waited and got the ZR2 instead of a Tacoma.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Directive51

Directive51

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wetumpka, AL, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hoggard
Member #

My last truck was a 16 Colorado Trailboss, and there is a noticeable difference off road. I thought that the Z71 suspension was great, but the ZR2 is defiantly a smoother ride.

Directive51

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wetumpka, AL, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hoggard
Member #

Thanks guys. I have made a few changes, mostly small stuff, but I did an LED conversion on all of the interior lights, and finally got my radio installed. I am heading into the shop tomorrow morning to get the cap installed. I will have to get out this weekend and take some pictures.