Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’ll be that guy and say that I hated my F250 powerstroke. I had the dreaded 6.4 that had all kinds of problems. The real thing I hated was the rough ride you will get with all 3/4 or 1 ton trucks as well as the pain in the but of having only 1 diesel pump at most gas stations and there always seemed to be a soccer mom there updating her instagram taking forever. Maintenance is also significantly more expensive so make sure you actually NEED a 250/350.

The newer F150s are far more capable trucks and I’m going to just tell you right now you won’t get better fuel economy with a modern diesel and even if you do it might be 1 or 2 mpg at best. My experience was that I got lower fuel economy. Even if you do the math on the better fuel economy you will never for be money ahead due to the extra cost of the engine at purchase.

Reactions: softroad.406

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You can smooth out the ride of a 3/4 ton easy enough. If you only need F150 capability. Just put very soft springs on, and firmer shocks. Free to $300 front, $1000 or less rear, for springs. $2000 for shocks.

I'd avoid diesel unless you put some serious hwy miles on.

If you're on a tight budget, look towards used F350's that are gas. 2005 and up. Especially the v10's. Fords ''dark age'' engines seriously wrecked their resale value. But they're excellent choices for budget overlanding due to stout axles, good flex, easy suspension mods, low value, and easy trans rebuilds.

Last edited:
Reactions: softroad.406
S

softroad.406

I think that f150 is a better idea now from all the input due to cost, mpg, etc. Thanks for all the input and help.