Diesel Trucks

• HTML tutorial
S

softroad.406

Hello,

I'm interested in getting a Ford f250 or a Ram 2500 cummins, and wanted to get input from people who have these rigs.

Thanks

Reactions: Marine0811

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Hello,

I'm interested in getting a Ford f250 or a Ram 2500 cummins, and wanted to get input from people who have these rigs.

Thanks
I don’t own one... but I agree with you getting one!

If you’re leaning toward Ford, look up Powerstroke Help on YouTube. Bill and his videos are a wealth of knowledge. Today he recommends the 6.0, he doesn’t work on the 7.3’s anymore, but recommends a shop local to him that does.

Marine0811

Rank 0

Traveler I

I had a cummins for a lot of years, mine was a 2003. Only problem I had was the weak dodge front end. Full disclosure I did have after market filtration for fuel. Those common rails are more picky about fuel than the old 12v. Over all no complaints sold it with 298,000 on it. Would I buy another; yes I would. Can't go wrong either way, Ford or Dodge

Knownman

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Santa Clarita, Ca.
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kolze
Member #

20Angler,

Me and my rig fit that bill. I've just started to put her together. Up to this point she was stock. I've done some fire roads but nothing really to shout about. I'll start adding content shortly including my build. Happy hunting for the rig of choice! BTW, love my Ram CTD!

S

softroad.406

Thanks for the reply, What will you be doing to your ram?

S

softroad.406

I love my Cummins. I bought it new in early 2007 with the last of the 5.9L. Running Carli suspension system. Handles better than stock even with the 37s on it.

View attachment 100630
nice truck, how does it do on the trails or how do you use it for offroading? Just to calrify is your truck stock except for your suspension system?

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Are you leaning towards diesel alone, or full size? I love my ‘14 2500 CTD. It does everything I ask of it. Designed for 6, currently seats two after seat removal. I have not had difficulty finding fuel while out and about, I also dont need fuel as often as either...approx 500 mile range stock form. Many will argue the cost up front and also the maintenance cost...both are high! But it is what I wanted, so it is what I bought.

Reactions: Marine0811
S

softroad.406

I currently have a 2001 pathfinder, but want to get a full size truck perferably a preferably diesel. The only issue is that the diesel trucks are pricey, and i'm in high school, so my budget would be like $5k but with probably maintenance and upgrades, it would be like $6-7k, but thankfully my parents said they would help a little. I want to get a pre-1997 diesel since it is exempt from smog regulations since im in california. Hope this helps to see were i'm at.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

nice truck, how does it do on the trails or how do you use it for offroading? Just to calrify is your truck stock except for your suspension system?
The truck has a programmer on it and a few extras. It gets a little better mileage than running stock program and has more HP with lower EGTs. The Carli suspension is a 3" lift and has Fox 2.5s at each corner. It works well on the trails but it is mostly set up more for open desert trail use and long trips. I call it my comfy couch :laughing: I have an LJ I use for tighter trail use. I camp out of both depending on location. The truck gets better mpg than my Jeep.

Reactions: softroad.406

Knownman

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Santa Clarita, Ca.
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kolze
Member #

I've made some adjustments to mine as well. Carli suspension, they're the best IMHO. AEV bumper with Warn 16.5TiS, 37's on Icon 17" alloys, Retrax XR Pro, etc. Much more to come. These things drive amazing and like Brewbud said get better mileage than gassers of any kind. And that's even with over 7700#'s GVW!101635

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Good luck a pre 97 diesel is likely going to have been very abused at this point, and still cost more than 5k. Whats wrong with the pathfinder? I had one in the 90s it was pretty capable, if you want more raw power drop a vg30dett engine from a 300zx in it they go for about 2k if you have the 3 liter its already a bastardized version of the vg30. If you really really want diesel you can do engine swaps, go down to the junkyard and browse around pull a cummins 4cyl from a skid steer or a forklift. Any way you look at it if you buy an old truck or swap engines you gambling with your money. Personally id drive the pathfinder till i either had a good job and could afford a good low mile diesel or it stopped working. If you go with something old you had better have a second vehicle to get around in while its being repaired.

hfd376

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Henrico, VA, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4HDF
I’ve got a 2003 with the Cummins that I started building up several years ago. My neighbor gave me the lift and wheels, and I added a front receiver hitch. She’s a bit big for exploring trails here in Virginia, so I bought a Tacoma and built it instead. Here’s a couple of pics from one trail that I’ve had it on. We were with a bunch of Toyotas and a few jeeps.

Attachments

S

softroad.406

I’ve got a 2003 with the Cummins that I started building up several years ago. My neighbor gave me the lift and wheels, and I added a front receiver hitch. She’s a bit big for exploring trails here in Virginia, so I bought a Tacoma and built it instead. Here’s a couple of pics from one trail that I’ve had it on. We were with a bunch of Toyotas and a few jeeps.
looks nice

Reactions: hfd376

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

As a Ford fan and an owner of a Super Duty, if I were buying a truck to today I'd go with the Ram. My main reason for this would be the Cummins. I have dealt with far too many powerstrokes to ever want another. If you're like me and want to get your hands dirty I'd suggest grabbing a cheap F250 and doing a 12v swap. Get the best of both worlds.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I new to overloading and looking to build a f250, what are some of the pros and cons of that 6.7 for overloading
Ford Pro's:
Dana 60 front axle. Ready for a locker. Putting a Yukon Grizzley locker in mine.
Rear axle stock with Elocker. And it's actually decent.
6.7 is fine. Run it hard and clean the EGR.
Good transmission
17-18's with plow kits are nearly lifted and leveled.
35x12.5r18 +18mm offset fits stock truck.
super easy to install quality suspension systems
all aluminum
free spin hubs stock
Fox ats steering damper available

Ford cons:
XL, XLT, STX are best. Upper trim models have 1st world problems. Avoid moon roof, avoid adaptive steering.
19+ models are lowed 2" from the tall 17's
no manual trans
manual xfer case gone in 19+
death wobble
poor quality technicians that can't diagnose something as easy as death wobble
poor quality shocks. Get Bilstein, Fox, or King 2.5's.
Rhino line the bed asap.

Recommend going 350 if you decide to go diesel. Diesels are heavy. And a diesel 250 might only have a measely 2000# cargo capacity. Check your cargo capacity sticker before buying anything. Gas 250 is better for campers, if you have to stay 250 for some reason.

Make sure you need the diesel. 6.7 won't suffer fools that use it as a grocery getter. But the 6.2 will.

Last edited:

[grayscale]

Rank 0

Contributor I

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Hayes
so I guess let me give you some back story. I have a 2009 f150 fx4 on stock everything but 35's. I have a ton of camping experience and have did up to a 30 day stay solo. I moved to WA for work and wound up kicking it with folks that camp a lot different than I'm used to hahah. Roof top campers and the whole nine yards. Got hooked on the idea of overloading just chilling by the fire. I know zero about off roading. I'm a farm boy from Iowa. So here is the thing, my truck is at 150,000 and really showing some problems i.e. rack and pin and 4x4 acting up ,so on and my next step is a new truck all together. The plan for the build is going to be my weekend camper/truck I stay in when I travel to do seminars and training / work . This has me leaning towards a diesel. The longevity and the power plus I've just grown up owning and being around them. this truck is going to get a lot of miles on It.

Any Advice, would be absolutely huge.

keeping in mind this will also be my daly driver and my wife will be driving when I'm out of country here and there.

yj4roks

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Chase
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6FWD
Cummins all the way. I have two buddies with vintage Ford trucks like my Dodge (early 2000's). They have had a host of problems where my Dodge takes me all over the place with piece of mind. If you can find one with the 12 valve (1998.5 and older), there are even less electronics to deal with...which is good if getting an older truck. The 12 valve is commonly swapped into other brand vehicles because is can almost just run by itself on the garage floor...so a swap is "easy". The 5.9 is the best in my opinion as the newer, larger engines seem to have a few more problems...probably caused by all the emissions crap they had to strap on there to make them comply.