Diesel Heater rain cover for all-in-one unit?

• HTML tutorial

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

So I decided to try out a diesel heater from Amazon and got an all-in-one unit so I can use it with my Gazelle tent and my little cargo trailer conversion. I've tried it out and love it. My concern is leaving it in the rain and snow. Has anyone come up with an easy (preferably inexpensive) way to protect it while in use? I've considered a generator tent, but they are pretty expensive to experiment with. I've also wondered about using a storage tub upside down with legs or perhaps attached to the top of the heater. Has anyone got a good suggestion before I "reinvent the wheel"?

Reactions: Haggy

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

Im planning to use a tire step and cover it with a small tarp-also off the ground from mud and puddle. But I have a cot inside my vechicle.
View attachment 243409
yeah, I have one of those tire steps too just for this. I like that a lot. I have an awning as well, but sometimes the wind is too much for it and wet snow load can be a problem too. So I'm looking to shield mine from the elements.

Rids93

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
Rid
Last Name
Sumarna
Member #

Bought a 5kw Vevor brand and had 1 issue but that was on my part. Had an E-01(increase supply voltage). I used 14g speaker wires to splice I to cigarette plug and according to YouTube my wires maybe the wrong size.
So I used a recycled spotlight cable that I had and that solved the E-01. I set it to 22°C and that was waaay too hot. 11°C is just right for me.
Note:
The exhaust (pic 4) is really hot so I recommend wrapping it with heat tape.

20221028_161853_HDR.jpg20221028_161939_HDR.jpg20221028_165945_HDR.jpg20221028_165535.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: MuckSavage

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
So I decided to try out a diesel heater from Amazon and got an all-in-one unit so I can use it with my Gazelle tent and my little cargo trailer conversion. I've tried it out and love it. My concern is leaving it in the rain and snow. Has anyone come up with an easy (preferably inexpensive) way to protect it while in use? I've considered a generator tent, but they are pretty expensive to experiment with. I've also wondered about using a storage tub upside down with legs or perhaps attached to the top of the heater. Has anyone got a good suggestion before I "reinvent the wheel"?

Attachments

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
This is my setup. The diesel heater sits on a tailgate table and covered by the tent. This way it is protected from rain.

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The air intake filter and exhaust output is just below the box. Had to make some modification with the right angle change to the exhaust as there is design problem. I did a mistake by having the exhaust facing upwards, this is wrong as humidity and water droplets would backflow to the combustion unit so now I always keep the exhaust horizontally. All my gear are modular and not fixed so that I could take them only when I need them and to transfer them easily to other vehicles.

Attachments

Reactions: Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

Does your output hose give off a smell? My black Amazon hose makes a nauseating smell.
It may have at first, but nothing really now. However I had a stinking plastic smell with the foul lined flexible dryer hose I was using. I've now switched to aluminum semi-rigid dryer tube from Menards and it works fantastic and no noxious burning plastic smell.

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

So here are a few pics of the solution I've come up with. A storage tub was just the ticket. I also switched out my hose for a semi-rigid aluminum tube with a couple swivel elbows. I couldn't be happier with the result. On setting 1 of 6, my little un-insulated 5x8 trailer stayed about 65-70 deg inside while it was 32 deg outside.

Attachments

Reactions: MuckSavage

Tackleberry

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

The air intake filter and exhaust output is just below the box. Had to make some modification with the right angle change to the exhaust as there is design problem. I did a mistake by having the exhaust facing upwards, this is wrong as humidity and water droplets would backflow to the combustion unit so now I always keep the exhaust horizontally. All my gear are modular and not fixed so that I could take them only when I need them and to transfer them easily to other vehicles.
I used a copper pipe elbow and short pipe to get my exhaust out the side. I cut some slots in the elbow to get it to fit over the exhaust pipe and then used exhaust sealant on all the connections.

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Do you happen to have a link to your supply hose? Any issues with the heater shutting down to an overheat with the long hose? We just picked up an all in one and the two footer that come with it is ridiculous, and the silver lined black one I got of the Amazons looks like it might melt...lol

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Do you happen to have a link to your supply hose? Any issues with the heater shutting down to an overheat with the long hose? We just picked up an all in one and the two footer that come with it is ridiculous, and the silver lined black one I got of the Amazons looks like it might melt...lol
This is the type of silicone ducts I use for my diesel heater:

Attachments

Reactions: OTH Overland

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Never had problems with overheating.

Reactions: OTH Overland