Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Monthly meet for Overland Bound members in the Dallas / Fort Worth Metroplex, and surrounding areas.

**Please note - The time listed should indicate 11:30AM Central Time, there is a problem with Rallypoint**

As a part of these new meets we will be arranging trail days and weekend trips, as well as discussing common training topics related to overland camping and travel. Of course there will always be time to check out one another's rigs and exchange info and opinions on gear that you have used or are interested in.

-Be sure to bring suggestions and ideas for future events, and what topics you may like to learn more about!
-Let's plan to arrive around 11:30 and park at the back of the lot; we can head in around 12:00. Food and drink is at your own expense. :)
-Please RSVP so we will know how much space is needed!

View Rally Point

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

That looks like the parking lot in front of Uncle Buck's at Bass Pro Shops in Grapevine, Texas.
Rallypoint says the meet-up is at Humperdink's in Arlington, correct?

Reactions: Craig M

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

That looks like the parking lot in front of Uncle Buck\'s at Bass Pro Shops in Grapevine, Texas.
Rallypoint says the meet-up is at Humperdink\'s in Arlington, correct?
Correct on both accounts! The photo was one I took at a meet a year or two ago. I'll be getting an updated rig shot at this meet!

Though it's likely the September meet will be at a different location, entirely! Haha!

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Has anyone wanted to get your Ham Radio Licences , but:
...didn't have the time.​
...didn't want to learn Morse Code.​
...just want to learn the skill without it consuming your life.​
Michael, at Overland Bound, put out a video some time back explaining a event called a Ham Cram where people meet one evening, have a couple of instructors, and cram for the Ham Operators Test. Then, the same night, take the test. And just like that you're a Ham... It has a 99.9% pass rate!!!

Here is the video:

Is anyone, obviously other than me, interested in doing something like this in the DFW Metroplex?
If so let's discuss it here and finalize the details of our first ever North Texas Ham Cram at the August DFW Monthly Recurring Overland Bound Meet.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Road and 7YODA5

Rick Schlepphorst

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke, Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Schlepphorst
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GMW
Has anyone wanted to get your Ham Radio Licences , but:
...didn\'t have the time.​
...didn\'t want to learn Morse Code.​
...just want to learn the skill without it consuming your life.​
Michael, at Overland Bound, put out a video some time back explaining a event called a Ham Cram where people meet one evening, have a couple of instructors, and cram for the Ham Operators Test. Then, the same night, take the test. And just like that you\'re a Ham... It has a 99.9% pass rate!!!

Here is the video:

Is anyone, obviously other than me, interested in doing something like this in the DFW Metroplex?
If so let\'s discuss it here and finalize the details of our first ever North Texas Ham Cram at the August DFW Monthly Recurring Overland Bound Meet.

Thoughts?
DEFINITELY interested in a Ham cram!!!

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I'd be interested too, actually. I recently discovered that there is an Amateur radio club here in Euless. They meet once a month and the meeting for August is tomorrow night.. I was thinking about going to check it out: Amateur Radio Euless

poland153

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

First Name
Marky
Last Name
Mark
Member #

Quick question, are there any plans to potentially make this event happen on the weekends? I work Mon-Fri so I wouldn't be able to come but the meetup sounds fun.
I recently moved to Garland and have been looking to join an off road group to learn about the trails in the DFW area.

Reactions: Downs and Craig M

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I'd be interested too, actually. I recently discovered that there is an Amateur radio club here in Euless. They meet once a month and the meeting for August is tomorrow night.. I was thinking about going to check it out: Amateur Radio Euless
I contacted a Amateur radio club in Plano and they were all about the traditional/conventional route, taking way too long to hold my attention. I did try to explain the concept of "One Night Cram & Test" but they were not listening nor interested. But if this does take off and we decide to do it, we will need instructors and someone to administer the test. Hope you find the right people if you end up going tonight...

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Quick question, are there any plans to potentially make this event happen on the weekends? I work Mon-Fri so I wouldn't be able to come but the meetup sounds fun.
I recently moved to Garland and have been looking to join an off road group to learn about the trails in the DFW area.
Are you referring to the Radio idea, or the meet, in general? This meet is on a Saturday, and would think the radio thing would need to be, since it would tale a little long for a weeknight.

I contacted a Amateur radio club in Plano and they were all about the traditional/conventional route, taking way too long to hold my attention. I did try to explain the concept of "One Night Cram & Test" but they were not listening nor interested. But if this does take off and we decide to do it, we will need instructors and someone to administer the test. Hope you find the right people if you end up going tonight...
Incidentally, I was at a Doctors appointment this afternoon and a gentleman in there had a hat that mentioned 'radio operator' and his call sign. I chatted with him for a couple minutes, and while he was in a club, he was in the North Richland Hills club.

I am still planning to go tomorrow, but... I had a bit of a table saw accident on Sunday, taking a pretty good chunk from my left thumb (right on the pad). Not enough skin left to 'close' it, so I'm going in for a skin graft on Thursday. I may not be totally up to it tomorrow night. But we can figure something out.. :o

Is the rally point still Humperdinks in Arlington? I heard they might have shut down.
Oh dang, I had no idea!

No worries.. I think I'm otherwise home all day tomorrow, so I will something and get it up tomorrow, for sure. I'll probably just try and keep it right in the same general area for those already planing on Humperdinks.

Thank you for the heads-up!

It does say permanently closed on internet. Craig, any other ideas for spot to meet?
On it!

Rick Schlepphorst

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke, Texas, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Schlepphorst
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GMW
I see there were meets at Bass Pro before, what about somewhere like that? I know the Cabela's in far north Fort Worth has a gigantic parking lot.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I see there were meets at Bass Pro before, what about somewhere like that? I know the Cabela's in far north Fort Worth has a gigantic parking lot.
Yeah, we were trying to keep these at restaurant type venues, preferably with room for us to sit in a group in a section off area.

I've been looking at a number of places, but without physically scouting to see what kind of inside space they have, it's tough.

Since this is only about a week away, I'll go ahead and change this one to Uncle Bucks @ Bass Pro in Grapevine.

Hope that works for everyone!

7YODA5

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Texas, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6CHI
I’m already a general ham but I did it a few years ago and honestly just studied the material on my own to pass. I’d love to go to the event and cram for a higher class and learn something that will help me get more hands on understanding.

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

That weekend on the 24th and 25th there is also A truck/jeep fest at Dallas Market hall so will try to do that Sunday as it is free and look at the gear/accessories still needing for jeep :)

Rvera

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Dallas, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Vera
Member #

Wish i could go to this but have family commitments on Saturday and then the 4wp jeep/truck show. Wish this was on Sunday. Hopefully we can get another one soon @Craig. Also, if weekend trips or adventures are talked about could you post in the discussion.

Thanks