Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
interested as wife (wilson123) says. listen in the jeep no chatter if one could suggest a channel frequency for emergency stuff should one be need assistance during the day
Are we talking HAM radio, CB, GMRS? If on HAM radio they national "call frequency" is 146.520 for VHF and 446.000 for UHF. These are supposed to be the nationwide frequencies for HAM radio to make contacts then you'd move off of that to another simplex frequency. Or at least that's the idea. I monitor and make make calls out on Overland Bound's listed VHF and GMRS channels. I haven't heard anything yet. Even on the national calling frequencies you probably won't hear much. I commute between Greenville and Garland and can count on both hands with fingers left over how many people I've heard on 146.520 in 2 years.

If you're wanting backup emergency comms locally program in a few repeaters and call it good. For emergency comms when traveling you will need to do some homework on repeaters in the areas you will be. Simplex will most likely not have the range you need to reach anyone listening unless you are on a mountain top or ridge line. Even repeaters are a crap shoot on if anyone is actually listening.

The only true emergency comms you can have on board is a PLB. Any radio other than maybe HF radios and knowing what bands are active and what frequencies people frequent will probably leave a big gap in your emergency comms.

Last edited:

wlson1970

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
jamie
Last Name
wilson
Member #

Are we talking HAM radio, CB, GMRS? If on HAM radio they national "call frequency" is 146.520 for VHF and 446.000 for UHF. These are supposed to be the nationwide frequencies for HAM radio to make contacts then you'd move off of that to another simplex frequency. Or at least that's the idea. I monitor and make make calls out on Overland Bound's listed VHF and GMRS channels. I haven't heard anything yet. Even on the national calling frequencies you probably won't hear much. I commute between Greenville and Garland and can count on both hands with fingers left over how many people I've heard on 146.520 in 2 years.

If you're wanting backup emergency comms locally program in a few repeaters and call it good. For emergency comms when traveling you will need to do some homework on repeaters in the areas you will be. Simplex will most likely not have the range you need to reach anyone listening unless you are on a mountain top or ridge line. Even repeaters are a crap shoot on if anyone is actually listening.

The only true emergency comms you can have on board is a PLB. Any radio other than maybe HF radios and knowing what bands are active and what frequencies people frequent will probably leave a big gap in your emergency comms.
copy. seen a bunch saying going to avid outdoors was thinking need to see what everyones on cb/ham its all we have so if something happens and people need help lost or talk while driving.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Sorry for not setting up this month's meet.. I'm trying to get my shop space finalized and planned to host a BBQ or something there. I'm looking at the space I hope to get on Sunday, and should be moved in as soon as a week or two!

I'm thinking maybe October 19th. That should give me time to get moved in and all. I'll post something up as soon as i sign the lease, so I can provide the address. That should happen by next Friday!

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Okay, I now have shop space lined up, so I will be setting something up asap.. I'm looking at Oct 19th and my shop is here: 32°56'12.6"N 97°19'51.9"W

I know, not super centrally located, but I'll keep the time on this open. There's plenty of parking and I will set up a grill and some tables inside the shop itself.

Rally-point coming soon!

Reactions: Downs and Wilson123

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Posted a new Rally Point!! I'm going to host a BBQ at my shop on October 19th..

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

We stayed through Sunday, it was amazing to see how folks left firewood burning at camp that was a hundred yards from ours (we put it out) and another leaving their trash sitting at their camp when they left instead if taking to one of the provided large trash bins (we took theirs on our way out while taking ours). It was a shame to see. It was great to see those that we did and special thanks to Rick as he was helpful to us while we were there!! May you always be blessed Rick! Thanks to Mat from 67 also! Wish it wasn't so hot lol