Desert Trail Chase Light / Yay or Nah?

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

1. Do you think the dust your kicking up is enough to let someone know your there, even if the visibility is low?
  2. Or do you think you should take it one step further and have a chase light?
  3. Which is better? An Amber/White/Red Light?

• For those of you unfamiliar with a Chase light, it is typically an amber light facing backwards on the rear of your rig. Preferably placed high enough to be seen from a good distance so following rigs know exactly where you are and not just guessing based off the dust your throwing up.

Reactions: Fj62 Joe

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

Honestly imo is a chase light really needed ? We are in Jeeps/landcruisers/ 4 runners. We are not doing 80+ mph on the flats. Great idea but IMO don’t see the need for more electrical work & where do I mount this switch etc. ✌

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Honestly imo is a chase light really needed ? We are in Jeeps/landcruisers/ 4 runners. We are not doing 80+ mph on the flats. Great idea but IMO don’t see the need for more electrical work & where do I mount this switch etc. ✌
lol that side of it can be seen as well and granted KC lights is kinda pricey but they have great quality stuff. They make a Chase light that comes with a pretty legit switch and from what I hear the wiring isn't that bad but what do I know? lol I haven't made that step just yet, but would like to.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

A high mounted amber light is great in heavy dust situations. Even at low speeds, extremely dusty roads can make it hard to see how far you are from the rig in front of you. You may be following too closely and not even know it... take your eyes off the trail for a second, they hit the brakes and BAM. Not a great day on the trail.

Plus an added bonus you can use it as an extra light at camp at night.

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I never thought about them before I went on a trip to the Mojave Road with some OB members. A few of the members had them and I thought it was a great idea! I’m currently looking to install some on my rig.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
@Mike G

Yes, I definitely think it is something that everyone who traverses the deserts, and or similar terrains should have chase lights.

Reactions: Mike G

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
So from a legal stand point on motor vehicles (not talking about emergency vehicle work lights), Amber is front and Red is rear. Much like the rear facing fog lights from Europe that are very much needed in dense fog. If an amber light is used it can confuse the driver who is coming up on you and think that they are getting ready to have a head-on collision. Amber is used only for fog/snow/ice in the front and turn signals front & rear. White is used for headlights, DRL's, and backup lights. Red is used for tail, brake and rear fog lights. The problem today is everybody does what they want and now we see a rainbow of colored lights facing every which way and if the Police want to pull you over and give out tickets for unauthorized lights they can & will.

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@Graeman
@Robert Jordan

Both statements are true, however if the cops pull you over on the street for having a little light facing the rear of your vehicle that's amber and hopefully is off! Lol is kind of a douche move in my opinion. Then the other side of it is, that not just Baja runners use rear facing Amber lights, Ultra 4 series, Rally series, UTV series, and a bunch others use them. Also these are meant for off road use only, the other stipulation is that if this was "illegal" companies like KC Hi-lights, Baja Design, Rigid just to name a few. Would not make "rear facing chase lights" available in Amber/white/and red for that specific purpose if it was illegal, that would not be as they say "covering your a**" and quite frankly would be doing the opposite. That's how you get sued, however at the state level laws can be dictated however they choose.

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@Graeman

That is what we said lol.

The point we were trying to stress is that if they are off, cops shouldn't bother you depending on who it is, and how bad of a day they are having lol. If getting a ticket for something quite trivial to be honest is your concern. They sell covers for these lights, so go one step further and cover them so there is no way a cop can say "you were using them".

Reactions: AcJ