Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Just moved from Dubuque to Ankeny. (3 hours closer to Colorado!) Curious who from the area watches the forums. I notice at least a handful of members on the map in this area. Drop a line if you get a chance. Anyone doing any HAM nets around here?

It's going to be awhile before I can get all my gear/tools organized. The light pollution around here will definitely drive us to get out and explore (my daughter enjoys astronomy).

New digs for the rig....The stock wheels with snow tires look tiny on my rover. Hardly need them this year so far.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

There's a few guys in the DSM area. I'm over in the Sioux City area but frequent over there due to my fiancé being from the DSM area.

Reactions: Mike W

abart

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

St. Charles, Iowa
Member #

I used to live in Polk City close to Ankeny but now I am south of Des Moines about 30 minutes outside of St. Charles in Madison County. Just far enough outside where I am close to DSM but far enough I see lots and lots of stars. :sunglasses: Madison County in general is a great area. Get out of the Polk County grid and the countryside is much more enjoyable.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Awesome to see people popping up! Would you guys be up for a quick meetup on a Saturday or something? I'll put something together in the metro for sometime soon.

Would be fun to do a group camp also. Anyone do much winter camping? The weather has been a little annoying lately, but it feels like forever since I have been out. I have an annoyingly large winter sleeping bag for just this reason. I need to get to know someone with some county land somewhere around here. I used to camp out on the land at our Isaac Walton league just out in the woods. Anyone know of a place like that new Des Moines?

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Hello neighboring members. I live in northern Des Moines (Lower Beaver). I am hoping to find B class roads in our state, along with any trails.
I always enjoyed all the scenic back roads in northeast iowa and the wisconsin areas. Plenty of neat drives around Dubuque. So far central iowa just seems like grid roads, reminds me a lot of central Indiana. I would also like to get out and explore, must be some interesting things, maybe state parks?

Reactions: Michael Belli

John iowa

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Des Moines, IA, USA
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kc0ram
Open land is really person dependent. I really enjoy Iowa’s state parks.

I would be up for a Saturday morning meet up. There is also a 4x4 Des Moines Facebook group that is very overland centric

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Open land is really person dependent. I really enjoy Iowa’s state parks.

I would be up for a Saturday morning meet up. There is also a 4x4 Des Moines Facebook group that is very overland centric
I'll check that fb group out, thanks. ya.. I will work on setting up a Rally Point for us soon!

Michael Belli

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Awesome to see people popping up! Would you guys be up for a quick meetup on a Saturday or something? I'll put something together in the metro for sometime soon.

Would be fun to do a group camp also. Anyone do much winter camping? The weather has been a little annoying lately, but it feels like forever since I have been out. I have an annoyingly large winter sleeping bag for just this reason. I need to get to know someone with some county land somewhere around here. I used to camp out on the land at our Isaac Walton league just out in the woods. Anyone know of a place like that new Des Moines?
Winter camping gear is at the top of my gear list. I want a 4 season canvas tent and wood burning stove. I do have some friends that own property just south of Des Moines, one has a 48 acre farm, the other has 7 acres of wooded land.

A Saturday meet up sounds like a great plan. I have seen your vehicle a few times. I have a LR4 that is a 2012.

Reactions: Mike W

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Winter camping gear is at the top of my gear list. I want a 4 season canvas tent and wood burning stove. I do have some friends that own property just south of Des Moines, one has a 48 acre farm, the other has 7 acres of wooded land.

A Saturday meet up sounds like a great plan. I have seen your vehicle a few times. I have a LR4 that is a 2012.
i use a kodiak canvas 10x10 and a little buddy heater before bed and for getting ready in the morning. a stove with a vent would be amazing!

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

Hello everybody. Joe here. I have just returned from a little road trip. What's new? I finished the TAT, up the west coast then Alaska to the Top Of The World Hwy and up to the Artic Ocean. Just over 13000 miles. Any new events coming up?
Very little or no cell service for sometime.

Reactions: UnfrozenCaveman

UnfrozenCaveman

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Land Between The Rivers
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Wilks
Hey kids, new on these forums and here in W Des Moines playing with the silly old Land Rovers.

I'll keep an eye out here.

I know nothing about it, but a buddy in Omaha is pestering me with an event in Castana (?) in mid-Sept.

Pics? Everyone likes pics :)

Here's my "divide" photo...okay, maybe it's not "Continental" or anything :)

Attachments

Reactions: John iowa

night_flight

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Johnston, IA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Bowen
Member #

Hello fellow overlanders. In Johnston Iowa. Interesting in meeting up with others if interested. Currently building a 2019 Colorado ZR2 Bison for Utah trips. There isn't much Offroad/overlanding options in Iowa, so always interested in surrounding States to test gear before it gets serious in Utah.

Attachments

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

Hello fellow overlanders. In Johnston Iowa. Interesting in meeting up with others if interested. Currently building a 2019 Colorado ZR2 Bison for Utah trips. There isn't much Offroad/overlanding options in Iowa, so always interested in surrounding States to test gear before it gets serious in Utah.
Welcome, joe here 10411. We have three trips in the works right now. Expo West, the Ozarks rally in April, and the KAT in Kentucky. You would be welcome on any of those.
Joe and Sally.

UnfrozenCaveman

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Land Between The Rivers
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Wilks
Hi Ben, that looks like a great set up :)

We've got a family trip set for southern UT in a couple of weeks...I'll report in on conditions when I'm back.

I've been nosing around out there since '99 or so.

In my experience, the terrain is so varied, you can make a trip as easy or difficult as you want it to be ... barring weather related excitement ;)

These two images are within a few miles of each other.030.jpgCopy of day2-0014.jpg

Best,
Maurice

night_flight

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Johnston, IA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Bowen
Member #

Thanks Joe and Sally. Expo West would be a great trip. Will keep the Ozark rally in mind as that might work. Maurice, thanks for the Utah advice. I was out there this July with a 2017 Colorado ZR2. I've attached a photo from that trip. I did OK on the easy to moderate trails, but more clearance would obviously be needed for the difficult trails. The ZR2 Bison is a work in progress. Getting the CB and Ham installed now. Needing to get 35 inch tires and a lift before next years Utah trip. A Jeep Gladiator or Toyota Tacoma would be easier due to better aftermarket support, but the ZR2 Bison has been a fun adventure.

Attachments

Joe Hunt

Local Expert Iowa, USA
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

Thanks Joe and Sally. Expo West would be a great trip. Will keep the Ozark rally in mind as that might work. Maurice, thanks for the Utah advice. I was out there this July with a 2017 Colorado ZR2. I've attached a photo from that trip. I did OK on the easy to moderate trails, but more clearance would obviously be needed for the difficult trails. The ZR2 Bison is a work in progress. Getting the CB and Ham installed now. Needing to get 35 inch tires and a lift before next years Utah trip. A Jeep Gladiator or Toyota Tacoma would be easier due to better aftermarket support, but the ZR2 Bison has been a fun adventure.

We went to Utah, through Oregon then up the coast this year , Alaska then to the Dempster in Canada. Camped on the Artic at the villiage of Tuk. Just over 13000 miles in all. 2012 Tacoma with a rooftop tent. Get out there and enjoy the trail.

UnfrozenCaveman

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Land Between The Rivers
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Wilks
Ah, up the hill at Long Canyon :)

Looks great!