Des Moines Iowa Area Check in

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Mike W

US MidWest Region Director
Staff member

Advocate I

Ankeny, IA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0GCN
Just moved from Dubuque to Ankeny. (3 hours closer to Colorado!) Curious who from the area watches the forums. I notice at least a handful of members on the map in this area. Drop a line if you get a chance. Anyone doing any HAM nets around here?

It's going to be awhile before I can get all my gear/tools organized. The light pollution around here will definitely drive us to get out and explore (my daughter enjoys astronomy).

New digs for the rig....The stock wheels with snow tires look tiny on my rover. Hardly need them this year so far.

abart

Rank V

Advocate I

St. Charles, Iowa
Member #

I used to live in Polk City close to Ankeny but now I am south of Des Moines about 30 minutes outside of St. Charles in Madison County. Just far enough outside where I am close to DSM but far enough I see lots and lots of stars. :sunglasses: Madison County in general is a great area. Get out of the Polk County grid and the countryside is much more enjoyable.

Mike W

Staff member

Advocate I

Ankeny, IA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0GCN
Awesome to see people popping up! Would you guys be up for a quick meetup on a Saturday or something? I'll put something together in the metro for sometime soon.

Would be fun to do a group camp also. Anyone do much winter camping? The weather has been a little annoying lately, but it feels like forever since I have been out. I have an annoyingly large winter sleeping bag for just this reason. I need to get to know someone with some county land somewhere around here. I used to camp out on the land at our Isaac Walton league just out in the woods. Anyone know of a place like that new Des Moines?

Mike W

Staff member

Advocate I

Ankeny, IA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0GCN
Hello neighboring members. I live in northern Des Moines (Lower Beaver). I am hoping to find B class roads in our state, along with any trails.
I always enjoyed all the scenic back roads in northeast iowa and the wisconsin areas. Plenty of neat drives around Dubuque. So far central iowa just seems like grid roads, reminds me a lot of central Indiana. I would also like to get out and explore, must be some interesting things, maybe state parks?

Reactions: Michael Belli

John iowa

Rank IV

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
Ham Callsign
Kc0ram
Open land is really person dependent. I really enjoy Iowa’s state parks.

I would be up for a Saturday morning meet up. There is also a 4x4 Des Moines Facebook group that is very overland centric

Mike W

Staff member

Advocate I

Ankeny, IA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0GCN
Open land is really person dependent. I really enjoy Iowa’s state parks.

I would be up for a Saturday morning meet up. There is also a 4x4 Des Moines Facebook group that is very overland centric
I'll check that fb group out, thanks. ya.. I will work on setting up a Rally Point for us soon!

Awesome to see people popping up! Would you guys be up for a quick meetup on a Saturday or something? I'll put something together in the metro for sometime soon.

Would be fun to do a group camp also. Anyone do much winter camping? The weather has been a little annoying lately, but it feels like forever since I have been out. I have an annoyingly large winter sleeping bag for just this reason. I need to get to know someone with some county land somewhere around here. I used to camp out on the land at our Isaac Walton league just out in the woods. Anyone know of a place like that new Des Moines?
Winter camping gear is at the top of my gear list. I want a 4 season canvas tent and wood burning stove. I do have some friends that own property just south of Des Moines, one has a 48 acre farm, the other has 7 acres of wooded land.

A Saturday meet up sounds like a great plan. I have seen your vehicle a few times. I have a LR4 that is a 2012.

Reactions: Mike W

Mike W

Staff member

Advocate I

Ankeny, IA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0GCN
Winter camping gear is at the top of my gear list. I want a 4 season canvas tent and wood burning stove. I do have some friends that own property just south of Des Moines, one has a 48 acre farm, the other has 7 acres of wooded land.

A Saturday meet up sounds like a great plan. I have seen your vehicle a few times. I have a LR4 that is a 2012.
i use a kodiak canvas 10x10 and a little buddy heater before bed and for getting ready in the morning. a stove with a vent would be amazing!

Joe Hunt

Rank VI

Traveler I

Mechanicsville Iowa
Member #

Hello everybody. Joe here. I have just returned from a little road trip. What's new? I finished the TAT, up the west coast then Alaska to the Top Of The World Hwy and up to the Artic Ocean. Just over 13000 miles. Any new events coming up?
Very little or no cell service for sometime.

Reactions: UnfrozenCaveman

Contributor I

Land Between The Rivers
First Name
Maurice
Last Name
Wilks
Hey kids, new on these forums and here in W Des Moines playing with the silly old Land Rovers.

I'll keep an eye out here.

I know nothing about it, but a buddy in Omaha is pestering me with an event in Castana (?) in mid-Sept.

Pics? Everyone likes pics :)

Here's my "divide" photo...okay, maybe it's not "Continental" or anything :)

Attachments

Reactions: John iowa