Denver

• HTML tutorial

LC Brooks

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cincinnati Ohio
Member #

My girlfriend and a couple friends and I are planning a Trip to Denver Colorado from July 1st through the 10th. I will be driving my modified 98 Land Cruiser there and I would like to do some off road exploration and sight seeing. It will be my first time in CO so I will definitely need some guidance haha. Does anybody have any suggestions?

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey man! That should be a fun trip!

Since you're coming in July, I'd say that a 'must drive' route for you, while not off-road, is going to Estes Park, CO and visiting Rocky Mountain National park!

I'd recommend going earlier in the morning and hiking up to Emerald Lake from the Bear Lake trailhead (about 3.5 miles round trip). Kind of a quintessential hike if you're in RMNP in my opinion, as the views of the mountains are just spectacular from so many places on the trail, and emerald lake is just awesome. After the hike, take Trail Ridge Road over the continental divide to Grand Lake, CO and get you some BBQ for lunch. Trail Ridge Road is 48 miles long, 11 miles of which are above tree line (over 11,500 feet) and the highest point is just under 12,200 feet! It's seriously a fantastic drive. The does get pretty busy though, so I'd go during a weekday and avoid the park altogether around July 4. You'll want to allocate a lot of time for the drive as the speed limit is low and number of great picture opportunities is really high!

As far as your ACTUAL question, I know there are some good off-reading places in the area, but I'm not the one to ask! Hopefully someone else chimes in on that and I'm sorry I couldn't be more help there!

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
My girlfriend and a couple friends and I are planning a Trip to Denver Colorado from July 1st through the 10th. I will be driving my modified 98 Land Cruiser there and I would like to do some off road exploration and sight seeing. It will be my first time in CO so I will definitely need some guidance haha. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Its a little bit of a drive from there but the Alpine Loop in the Ouray/Silverton area is incredible.

Reactions: LC Brooks