Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ann Arbor, MI, USA
First Name
Southern
Last Name
Cross
Member #

I’m a Land Rover guy at heart but a Toyota guy with my back pocket...
I know it won’t be the same as the Series 2A of my younger years, but happy none the less that there will be another new vehicle in the market to keep the off road scene alive.

—> Anyone else interested? Build ideas?

Check out: "Land Rover confirms 2020 Defender is returning to North America"- https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/27/2020-land-rover-defender-america-official-0328k/

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Been watching that driving round cammo up for th last 12 months i knew that was it
Just a disco 3/4 hybred little bit squarer and fits all the jigs they all ready have COP OUT LR COP OUT SAD

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Been watching that driving round cammo up for th last 12 months i knew that was it
Just a disco 3/4 hybred little bit squarer and fits all the jigs they all ready have COP OUT LR COP OUT SAD
It's sad when they take a really cool vehicle, muck it up, and turn it into something soccer moms drive to the mall and to pick up the kids.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It's sad when they take a really cool vehicle, muck it up, and turn it into something soccer moms drive to the mall and to pick up the kids.
This feels a lot like what Jeep did with the Cherokee. Use the name of a formerly popular model and try to get the sales from it. Don't get me wrong, the new Cherokee can perform for what it is, but it's no XJ. Same situation here in my opinion.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

You’re right. I’m sure there’s an updated solid axel Defender under that wrap that’s just cleverly disguised as a LR4. :smirk:
You are not so far from the reality...
It's a unibody structure but nearly twice as strong as its cousins and there will be a version with rear solid axle. The front will be ifs but, as far as I know now, it will have plenty of travel.
There is a "soccer mom" version and a real world version with axle lockers and all the other features.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Still very disappointing. Turning one of the world’s most iconic body on frame 4x4s into another unibody crossover.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I'm not sure if there is any real life advantage for a old fashioned ladder frame to a unibody when done right.
But that's the way it is, only wrangler and J70's left.

Reactions: Arailt

SouthernCross

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ann Arbor, MI, USA
First Name
Southern
Last Name
Cross
Member #

Yeah, unibody doesn’t have the same feel as a ladder frame... I’m not willing to ride this one off yet... Step 1: let’s get it here and Step 2: bolt on some “Africa spec” parts to make it go.
Does make you appreciate the “ain’t broke, don’t fix it” Land Cruiser and 4Runner though...

Reactions: Arailt

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I'm not sure if there is any real life advantage for a old fashioned ladder frame to a unibody when done right.
On road, I agree that unibody is better because it is potentially more stable, lighter, better mileage, lower center of gravity, etc. Off road, BOF is stronger, stiffer, and there are more practical points to mount skid plates, plate bumpers, etc.

Have you ever had to get out of unibody SUV while off camber? I have. Not fun and it can damage the door and compromises the overall structural rigidity.

Subframe bracing can help stiffen a unibody, but at the cost of weight and ground clearance, and it still won’t be as strong as a full frame.

Does make you appreciate the “ain’t broke, don’t fix it” Land Cruiser and 4Runner though...
Haha much better the LR’s “if it ain’t broke, it will be shortly” mantra.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I’m a Land Rover guy at heart but a Toyota guy with my back pocket...
I know it won’t be the same as the Series 2A of my younger years, but happy none the less that there will be another new vehicle in the market to keep the off road scene alive.

—> Anyone else interested? Build ideas?

Check out: "Land Rover confirms 2020 Defender is returning to North America"- https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/27/2020-land-rover-defender-america-official-0328k/
as a long term land rover driver/ owner etc.. i feel this is just just going to be a LR4/ Discovery 4 replacement with 19"/20" wheels made for hairdressers.

I beg Land Rover to drop the Name Defender and make it a Series 4 vehicle. If you can not remove the doors, windscreen or have it as a soft top with a GPMG attached to the top back, sides and passengers side it will never be a military class vehicle again. If you can't get a two door 110/130 version with no second or 3rd row seats then it is not a defender.
you need to chuck sheep in the back, with hay and the farmers daughter to make it a agricultural vehicle in Europe.
F150, Ram trucks, Toyota trucks are to big in Europe and farmers need a vehicle.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
as a long term land rover driver/ owner etc.. i feel this is just just going to be a LR4/ Discovery 4 replacement with 19"/20" wheels made for hairdressers.

I beg Land Rover to drop the Name Defender and make it a Series 4 vehicle. If you can not remove the doors, windscreen or have it as a soft top with a GPMG attached to the top back, sides and passengers side it will never be a military class vehicle again. If you can't get a two door 110/130 version with no second or 3rd row seats then it is not a defender.
you need to chuck sheep in the back, with hay and the farmers daughter to make it a agricultural vehicle in Europe.
F150, Ram trucks, Toyota trucks are to big in Europe and farmers need a vehicle.
There will be variants the special vehicals dept is still there. I owned four commercial discos all built at solihull. This new. Hybred and thats all it will be taking bits from every other current LR Models The power will come from the the current drive trains , gadgets will be thrown in pay as you go , will there be a agri version or military
Big question the aussys have thrown in with merc , the gap in the market needs somthing special Lets wait and see. The brand has been pilaged by BMW AND FORD over the years But some how has survived , ive driven all the new models none float my boat will take somthing special to get me back Into a new one SAD

Reactions: Arailt and Fozzy325

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
So you judge by this pics? Makes me feel sorry for you ...
Do you know anything about what's under the wrap?
In all seriousness over the years ive watched many disguised prototypes trundle up and down Bits added on and wrapped but the final products Are never far away ,
They have threw us a red herring previouly but public outcry made them pull the plug , design classics are rare these days , the disco 1,2,3,4 are a hard act to follow the new disco has not as yet broken any sales records.
The new defender model could be a game breaker LR NEEDS IT