Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
It does look a lot like the LR4. I wonder if that is because LR has noticed that people want the LR4 body style back and just are not buying the new replacement model that is too much car like. Maybe they put the wrong pictures up and are just messing with us to keep it a total secret.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

as a long term land rover driver/ owner etc.. i feel this is just just going to be a LR4/ Discovery 4 replacement with 19"/20" wheels made for hairdressers.

I beg Land Rover to drop the Name Defender and make it a Series 4 vehicle. If you can not remove the doors, windscreen or have it as a soft top with a GPMG attached to the top back, sides and passengers side it will never be a military class vehicle again. If you can't get a two door 110/130 version with no second or 3rd row seats then it is not a defender.
you need to chuck sheep in the back, with hay and the farmers daughter to make it a agricultural vehicle in Europe.
F150, Ram trucks, Toyota trucks are to big in Europe and farmers need a vehicle.
NOOOO!!!! Don't do that!!!! You'll sully the original Series image!!! How about naming it the "SMI" - "Soccer Mom I".

Reactions: Fozzy325

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

It does look a lot like the LR4. I wonder if that is because LR has noticed that people want the LR4 body style back and just are not buying the new replacement model that is too much car like. Maybe they put the wrong pictures up and are just messing with us to keep it a total secret.
Most of the LR people I know don't like the LR3 or LR4 styling. A throw back to the early Disco style would be interesting though.

Reactions: Graeman

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
LR BRAND IS FAMOUS WORLD WIDE its whole image was built on the series trucks , but it was the defender more than any other model that won the hearts of the 4x4 world , LR has to abide by modern emision and saftey law while trying to make it a viable product , HERDING CATS SPRINGS TO MIND

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Fiat was able to design a modern solid axle BOF Wrangler that meets US safety and emission regs (the strictest as far as I know). If Fiat can do it, LR can do it better. LR already has nothing but unibody grocery getters in their US line up. An updated BOF, solid axle Defender would have found some buyers in the US and even more so world wide I imagine.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Fiat was able to design a modern solid axle BOF Wrangler that meets US safety and emission regs (the strictest as far as I know). If Fiat can do it, LR can do it better. LR already has nothing but unibody grocery getters in their US line up. An updated BOF, solid axle Defender would have found some buyers in the US and even more so world wide I imagine.
They have just invested heavily , but iam afraid its the. Chealsea tractors that bring in the £££££€€€$$$$$$ the argri and military are supplements as i see it. The new model must be atractive to all

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Series 1-3 were all very agricultural based and the chassis were very similar. I used on several occasions the rear shaft extension in the military to power winches and pumps. Series 3 didn’t have the shaft extension.
Defenders are closer to the series 2and 3
Discover 1-2 are the same 3-4 are double chassis but basically are all based on the same chassis

This is why I say the new defender should be called something different and not a defender

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Series 1-3 were all very agricultural based and the chassis were very similar. I used on several occasions the rear shaft extension in the military to power winches and pumps. Series 3 didn’t have the shaft extension.
Defenders are closer to the series 2and 3
Discover 1-2 are the same 3-4 are double chassis but basically are all based on the same chassis

This is why I say the new defender should be called something different and not a defender
A few years back I was having a discussion with a few fellow Series owners. One of the gents worked for LR when the Defender was introduced. He said that the original name for the Defender was intended to be the Series IV (SIV). They then went into why they chose "Defender".

Last week a diehard Jeep guy had a chance to give the chassis of my '63 SIIa 88 a really good going over. He was surprised at how well it was built and how sturdy. I told him the chassis style was an enhanced design ripped off from the Willy's, he didn't know that.

Reactions: Arailt

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Been trying to post the vid uploaded to you tube it seems a little fishy to me it wont up load for some reason

SouthernCross

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Ann Arbor, MI, USA
First Name
Southern
Last Name
Cross
Member #

Random Friday night thought.

They say there will be a pick up version as well as a regular wagon version... and it’s likely not a body of frame... does that mean we would end up with a unibody pick up defender???!!!

A Honda Ridgeline spec Defender sure would be disappointing!!!
(Unless those Land Rover engineers have some genius up their sleeves)

Reactions: Arailt

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Super sad to see such an iconic brand completely miss the mark. With the company changing hands so many times, it has lost its identity and core purpose. It feels like current management has succumbed to the pressure of being like everyone else....a road car with cool badging for the masses. I think LR’s founding chief designer Maurice Wilks is rolling in his grave. Tata Motors needs to pull their proverbial heads from their booties and take a look back at their roots and stop this madness! It makes me angry that a company can completely lose sight of what made them great in the first place.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Super sad to see such an iconic brand completely miss the mark. With the company changing hands so many times, it has lost its identity and core purpose. It feels like current management has succumbed to the pressure of being like everyone else....a road car with cool badging for the masses. I think LR’s founding chief designer Maurice Wilks is rolling in his grave. Tata Motors needs to pull their proverbial heads from their booties and take a look back at their roots and stop this madness! It makes me angry that a company can completely lose sight of what made them great in the first place.
Testify brother, TESTIFY!!!