Defender is coming back to the US in 2020 | Page 2 | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Defender is coming back to the US in 2020

Discussion in 'Overland Vehicle Build Threads' started by SouthernCross, Dec 27, 2018.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Graeman

Graeman Rank III

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KJ7CRJ
    Map
    It does look a lot like the LR4. I wonder if that is because LR has noticed that people want the LR4 body style back and just are not buying the new replacement model that is too much car like. Maybe they put the wrong pictures up and are just messing with us to keep it a total secret.

2. Correus

Correus Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Actually...yes I do. I stand by my statement. But thanks for feeling sorry for me.

3. Correus

Correus Rank III

Member #:

Map
    NOOOO!!!! Don't do that!!!! You'll sully the original Series image!!! How about naming it the "SMI" - "Soccer Mom I".

Fozzy325 likes this.
  4. Correus

Correus Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Most of the LR people I know don't like the LR3 or LR4 styling. A throw back to the early Disco style would be interesting though.

Graeman likes this.
  5. Fozzy325

Fozzy325 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Series III would be good but series 1-3 are like discovery 1-4

6. SouthernCross

SouthernCross Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I wish it were true...

Attached Files:

7. TronYota

TronYota Rank I

Member #:

Map
    Not a fan of the look. After helping a buddy do a full overland build on a diesel 110 years ago that older style will always have my heart.

Arailt and Graeman like this.
  8. blackntan

blackntan Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    LR BRAND IS FAMOUS WORLD WIDE its whole image was built on the series trucks , but it was the defender more than any other model that won the hearts of the 4x4 world , LR has to abide by modern emision and saftey law while trying to make it a viable product , HERDING CATS SPRINGS TO MIND

9. Arailt

Arailt Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Fiat was able to design a modern solid axle BOF Wrangler that meets US safety and emission regs (the strictest as far as I know). If Fiat can do it, LR can do it better. LR already has nothing but unibody grocery getters in their US line up. An updated BOF, solid axle Defender would have found some buyers in the US and even more so world wide I imagine.

10. blackntan

blackntan Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    They have just invested heavily , but iam afraid its the. Chealsea tractors that bring in the £££££€€€$$$$$$ the argri and military are supplements as i see it. The new model must be atractive to all

11. Fozzy325

Fozzy325 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Where can one find a list of all the regs.
    I want to see what is different between us/can/eu/uk

12. Correus

Correus Rank III

Member #:

Map
    In what way?

13. Fozzy325

Fozzy325 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Series 1-3 were all very agricultural based and the chassis were very similar. I used on several occasions the rear shaft extension in the military to power winches and pumps. Series 3 didn’t have the shaft extension.
    Defenders are closer to the series 2and 3
    Discover 1-2 are the same 3-4 are double chassis but basically are all based on the same chassis

This is why I say the new defender should be called something different and not a defender

Arailt and blackntan like this.
  14. Correus

Correus Rank III

Member #:

Map
    A few years back I was having a discussion with a few fellow Series owners. One of the gents worked for LR when the Defender was introduced. He said that the original name for the Defender was intended to be the Series IV (SIV). They then went into why they chose "Defender".

Last week a diehard Jeep guy had a chance to give the chassis of my '63 SIIa 88 a really good going over. He was surprised at how well it was built and how sturdy. I told him the chassis style was an enhanced design ripped off from the Willy's, he didn't know that.

Arailt likes this.
  15. blackntan

blackntan Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    Been trying to post the vid uploaded to you tube it seems a little fishy to me it wont up load for some reason

16. Fozzy325

Fozzy325 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    As a long time owner of defenders i have said the LR4 is my last Land Rover I will purchase.
    so I was really excited to see the latest spy image of the Defender.

Attached Files:

Arailt likes this.
  17. Stewart Pirie

Stewart Pirie Rank 0

Map
    Hopefully Ineos manage to make a vehicle to the same ideals as the Defender, there's a survey here that is asking for opinions of 4x4 enthusiasts, so I hope they listen.

https://projektgrenadier.com/#home