Encinitas, CA, USA
First Name
Sonny
Last Name
Chisholm
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HXM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did a trip out to DV a couple Januarys back. I'm looking forward to going back.

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
I have a Ham radio, but I don't have a rear amber light. Does anyone have any recommendations? My initial thought was to wire up an amber KC Cyclone.
I don't know what your current setup is i.e. if you have a roof rack or you already have some sort of rear lights, but since I didn't have any amber lights, I took the opportunity for a more versatile more permanent solution. I bought these Nilight LED 3" cubes off of Amazon for $40. I also bought some snap-on amber covers for another $9. This way, I got the amber light requirement taken care of for this outing, plus I have year round backup lights for when I need them. If you already have rear facing lights, you may just be able to find amber covers to fit your lights.

Reactions: S0NNY and PapaDave

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
Would love to join in on this trip, but don't have sliders, or an orange light thingie...:( or a ham radio :0

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU
Would love to join in on this trip, but don't have sliders, or an orange light thingie...:( or a ham radio :0

Jmisslyn

Rank VI

Influencer I

Napa
First Name
Lyn
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCU

Mr. C

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

NEWARK,CA.
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Cordano
Member #

Three night western tour of Death Valley. Burgess Mine, salt tram, Cerro Gordo (what’s left), possible jet watching (if they fly still), Hunter Mountain Pass, Ubehebe crater, Race Track, Lippincott Pass, Steel Pass, Dedeckera Canyon, and Eureka Dunes. **be sure to read the section on Yosemite Day Pass**

Hi Dave, As I mentioned at today's meet up, Would You please put my name on the back up list for Death Valley. Thanks, Mike.

Reactions: PapaDave

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

Any option for joining this ride for just a portion? I'm thinking of all of us from SoCal and not NorCal.

Devildawg2136

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

US
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Borel
Member #

please put my name on the waiting list for this trip. I'll have a 3" lift kit plus 32" tires. By the time this trip goes. I made it to Laurel Lakes and Funnel Lake in my stock Trailhawk and would like to further challenge myself and my rig.
Thanks.

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

Once our trip fills up I’ll start an email thread to discuss further points. For those who’ve never been on a big group trip, or to Death Valley, this is the real deal. You will need to make sure your vehicle is ready to handle the wilderness, that you are completely self-sufficient, at least 5-10 extra gallons of fuel, rear amber light (non negotiable, Pat...), HAM radio, 2 gallons of water per person a day, and other specific needs you require. We will have some long driving days so come prepared to get out on the trail early each morning, and aware you may be changing a tire.

Death Valley is probably my favorite destination, this is gonna be fun!
Hi I have yet to go to a group event and I am wondering why there are limited spaces is it that there is no room at the camping locations? And also is it bad if you showed up and we’re missing something like the amber lights would you be turned away?

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hi I have yet to go to a group event and I am wondering why there are limited spaces is it that there is no room at the camping locations? And also is it bad if you showed up and we’re missing something like the amber lights would you be turned away?
Good questions- we limit the number of rigs for the feasibility and manageability of the group both in transit but also in camping locations. Something like the Mojave Road can accommodate a rather large group for camping spots, even though anything over 30 rigs tends to take a long time to drive down the trail. In Death Valley we have a couple tighter spots for camping and it gets hard to fit everybody so that’s why the limit is 15. Regarding the requirements with Death Valley every group leader is a little different but for me safety is paramount. So if someone doesn’t have fuel, or map downloaded, or ham radio, or amber lights I will indeed ask them not to come because they will potentially burden the whole group because they are not prepared as requested. Last year I tried to be nice and it didn’t work out well with a guy that had joined us and got lost, couldn’t use his radio, didn’t have his map, let alone no ambers. Later in that trip I almost rear-ended a trailer in the dust b/c it didn’t have amber lights.

Death Valley is a real wilderness that we are heading into so everyone attending needs to make sure that they have the minimums covered.

Highplainsdrifter

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

X
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Pressley
Member #

Good questions- we limit the number of rigs for the feasibility and manageability of the group both in transit but also in camping locations. Something like the Mojave Road can accommodate a rather large group for camping spots, even though anything over 30 rigs tends to take a long time to drive down the trail. In Death Valley we have a couple tighter spots for camping and it gets hard to fit everybody so that’s why the limit is 15. Regarding the requirements with Death Valley every group leader is a little different but for me safety is paramount. So if someone doesn’t have fuel, or map downloaded, or ham radio, or amber lights I will indeed ask them not to come because they will potentially burden the whole group because they are not prepared as requested. Last year I tried to be nice and it didn’t work out well with a guy that had joined us and got lost, couldn’t use his radio, didn’t have his map, let alone no ambers. Later in that trip I almost rear-ended a trailer in the dust b/c it didn’t have amber lights.

Death Valley is a real wilderness that we are heading into so everyone attending needs to make sure that they have the minimums covered.
Makes sense wanted to know for future reference thank you

DocTaco

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Modesto
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Maston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZE
So there has been some questioning regarding amber/hazard lights and rig capability for this trip from some of the comments. The issue is we are going into areas where there is thick dust which affects visibility and then slows down the pace of the group and can increase risk for drivers. If everyone has an Amber light it makes a huge difference, therefore the strict requirement. Also, I’d add GPS navigation is also important in event of separation from the group. A third point is everyone should have mobile HAM radio, not just portable. In the event of separation from the group mobile HAM will allow for continued coms. This trip is one of the great western region adventures I’ve experienced. If everyone is prepared it will make for a great weekend for all. I always look forward to a a fall weekend in Death Valley!

DocTaco

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Modesto
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Maston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZE
Once our trip fills up I’ll start an email thread to discuss further points. For those who’ve never been on a big group trip, or to Death Valley, this is the real deal. You will need to make sure your vehicle is ready to handle the wilderness, that you are completely self-sufficient, at least 5-10 extra gallons of fuel, rear amber light (non negotiable, Pat...), HAM radio, 2 gallons of water per person a day, and other specific needs you require. We will have some long driving days so come prepared to get out on the trail early each morning, and aware you may be changing a tire.

Death Valley is probably my favorite destination, this is gonna be fun!
One issue is if there are more than a certain number of rigs you have to have a permit. Therefor by limiting the number of rigs you can do dispersed camping. Also, some of the camp sites will not accommodate more than 15 rigs.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
So there has been some questioning regarding amber/hazard lights and rig capability for this trip from some of the comments. The issue is we are going into areas where there is thick dust which affects visibility and then slows down the pace of the group and can increase risk for drivers. If everyone has an Amber light it makes a huge difference, therefore the strict requirement. Also, I’d add GPS navigation is also important in event of separation from the group. A third point is everyone should have mobile HAM radio, not just portable. In the event of separation from the group mobile HAM will allow for continued coms. This trip is one of the great western region adventures I’ve experienced. If everyone is prepared it will make for a great weekend for all. I always look forward to a a fall weekend in Death Valley!
I totally second this comment about having a mobile ham rig installed in ones truck, it makes a MASSIVE difference. Our trucks are fantastic faraday cages that do a super effective job at grounding RF. Even getting an external antenna can help a lot but having a 50watt radio and a big 1/2 or 5/8 wave antenna makes comms a lot easier if a group is stretched out over a mile or more.